PNW - Moving boat by land to the Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabird

Looking for any experience, thoughts or advise on where to splash my 36' trawler as close to the Mississippi River from Seattle to embark on the Great Loop journey. Planning to do this trip starting September and wanting to ship the boat as economical as possible. I know many have moved their boats from the PNW over transport east. Any suggestions on where to enter the river systems during the Fall season? Does Sioux City or Minneapolis make sense, and are they navigable to the Loop? Any discussion much appreciated.

As much as I hate to send people to a different forum, if you plan on making this cruise, I have to suggest joining this group:

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

I'm sure you will get reliable answers to all your Great Loop questions.

From their website:
FINAL_MAP.png

The upper Mississippi is beautiful and would be a great trip. Minneapolis could be an option.
Sioux City is on the Missouri River which also beautiful but would NOT be a great trip. Services are non-existent and navigation is difficult north of Kansas City.
The 'Great Loop Cruiser's Association' is your best bet. Post over there and you'll get all the advice you need or want.

That is something we're thinking about for the future.

Have you ever thought about starting your trip in Texas?

I'm thinking that a fall overland transport to a spot on the ICW in Texas might make some sense.

Houston? even Brownsville?

Assuming you are in the Seattle area, at most marine stores, West Marine/Fishereis, have the PNW MPC Boaters directly which is free. Under transportation it lists about 3 dozen trucking out fits. If you send me your email address I will email a copy of the page, but the directly comes in handy.

Looking for any experience, thoughts or advise on where to splash my 36' trawler as close to the Mississippi River from Seattle to embark on the Great Loop journey. Planning to do this trip starting September and wanting to ship the boat as economical as possible. I know many have moved their boats from the PNW over transport east. Any suggestions on where to enter the river systems during the Fall season? Does Sioux City or Minneapolis make sense, and are they navigable to the Loop? Any discussion much appreciated.

Nail down a specific time of the month and that will help determine where to put in.

As much as I hate to send people to a different forum, if you plan on making this cruise, I have to suggest joining this group:

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

I'm sure you will get reliable answers to all your Great Loop questions.

From their website:
FINAL_MAP.png

I agree with you and check out this site. Capt John's cruising America's Great Loop

Thanks for the comments guys. I looked into Sioux City and appreciate your comments Anode, I too didn't think that it was the best place to enter, might not make it thru. However, I used itow for some quotes to this city from Seattle and was pleased to see it under $5K, due to the narrow width and height of my boat. Would make sense to enter in a better spot since shipping prices would be only marginally more. Will look into Texas, cheers ksanders. I wouldn't mind a longer run along the Gulf. I've been a casual follower of this forum for years, and a dreamer of the great loop for some time now. Still interested in hearing your comments on this subject if their is any, and I'm aware of the others sites - I think I've read them all, Captainjohn's being my favourite. Still hopping to hear from someone who's actually shipped from Seattle to do the loop and will attempt this conversation again at another time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom