PNW GoPro Time Lapse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been waiting for someone to ask that. It's on autopilot. And, while I know it can be adjusted to hold a more steady course (rudder gain if I remember correctly), I really have no reason to do so in the PNW. Besides, in this case, if it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it!

Got it. I'm sure the time lapse really makes it more visible than when standing at the helm. Now I'm curious what mine does.

Thank you for these videos. Very nice, and informative. :thumb:

Von Donop to Gorger Harbour

Von Donop to Gorge Harbour

Again - if you click on the header instead of the play arrow, it will send you to YouTube where you can go to full screen and increase the resolution to HD if your computer can handle it.

Telegraph Harbour to Tod Inlet

Note - if you click on the header instead of the play arrow, it will send you to YouTube where you can go to full screen and increase the resolution to HD if your computer can handle it.

I would like to point out that this is some kind of video wizardry. No one should believe it. It is never that sunny, calm, or beautiful in the Salish Sea, let alone in October.

Tod Inlet to Cowichan Bay

With a slight detour through Genoa Bay

Note - if you click on the header instead of the play arrow, it will send you to YouTube where you can go to full screen and increase the resolution to HD if your computer can handle it.

Thanks for posting. I picked up a used Hero 4 a couple of weeks ago and plan to do something similar next season. Do you have external power routed to your camera, or is the installed battery sufficient for your cruises? I'm thinking about how to keep the camera running through a long day.

Thanks for posting. I picked up a used Hero 4 a couple of weeks ago and plan to do something similar next season. Do you have external power routed to your camera, or is the installed battery sufficient for your cruises? I'm thinking about how to keep the camera running through a long day.

Good question. Initially I used the battery only, but soon realized that because my trips were typically 3+ hours, this was too much trouble, so I switched to external power. Because of rain potential and the mounting system, I always use the waterproof case. However, as you may know, the waterproof case is not set up for external power, so I used a Dremel Tool to cut a small opening to allow for the external USB power source. I then use small strips of duct tape placed around the opening and connector to make it water resistant, which works fine for rain. However, note that the case is no longer waterproof and can no longer be used for underwater photography. At some point I may get another case for that.

Here is a short (5 minute) video with time lapse from last weekend. Very wet trip from Poulsbo to Gig Harbor. As I enter Gig Harbor at the end you can see the stretch of shore that Bob is looking at for homes with docks.
https://youtu.be/V8zuJs7EhvE

Cool video. Love your boat!

Nice video! I like that you named the places you passed.

Nicely done video David. Really captures the feel of the PNW this time of year.

Great job, Dave. Loved the captioned locations. How long was that ride?

We'll be going down that way soon. A month or so. Somewhere I saw something about anchoring in GH. I should tie up there and walk up to GH boats. Need to talk to them about my recently acquired 12' launch.

Great job, Dave. Loved the captioned locations. How long was that ride?

Just shy of 5 hours. Left at 1:00pm and arrived at the dock at 4:50. We had the current against us and since my engine was running poorly, I kept the rpm down.

We'll be going down that way soon. A month or so. Somewhere I saw something about anchoring in GH. I should tie up there and walk up to GH boats. Need to talk to them about my recently acquired 12' launch.

You can likely tie up next to Anthony's and then walk straight up the hill behind. It would be quite a hike. If it is on a weekend and I have some warning, I can try and meet you out there and give you a ride up the hill. I am hoping that my own boat will be done there in another week or so.

BTW, that time-lapse was done at 1 frame every 2 seconds. Next time I will try for 1 frame a second or possibly 2 frames. If I have a big enough SD card I can always speed up the video in post and that would make a bit smoother.

My favorite local boat, Pacific Yellowfin, off your starboard side as you are departing Gorge Harbour.
My grandfather had one of its sister ships, the Fred Parr, built in Bellingham in 1944. She eventually became the Victoria M and was scuttled in 2003 according to info found on the net. Somewhere around here we have the original blueprints for her.

Just shy of 5 hours. Left at 1:00pm and arrived at the dock at 4:50. We had the current against us and since my engine was running poorly, I kept the rpm down.

Hmmm....you are arriving GH at 4:50 (happy hour), there is room at their dock, and yet you drive your boat right past the Tides. WTH? :nonono:

Great video!

It did remind me how after 30+years there I really really do *not* miss the weather there.

@Latitude 27 presently ;)

That was cold! I mean cool... LOL

Shared on our Facebook page today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom