View Poll Results: Do you venture outside past Cape Flattery?
I have more than enough boating inside. Don't go out. Not planning on going out. 7 33.33%
I haven't been outside, but would like to take a trip down the coast one day. 3 14.29%
I've been outside, but don't enjoy it. Only when I must. Moving boat, etc. 2 9.52%
I've been outside. Plan on going outside more in the future and exploring. 7 33.33%
I go outside at least once a year. 0 0%
I love going outside and exploring the West Coast and do it multiple times a year. 2 9.52%
None of the above answers work for me so I'll just put it in a post. 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
WifeyB,
I'm more into having an experience than comfort.
I am more into having a comfortable experience. I had enough "experiences" sailing. Now I wish to confine myself to the comfortable variety.

However, HHH is not my idea of comfort. I can always put on a sweater or light jacket when the weather is cool. When it is hot, there is only so much you can do. Last weekend we really enjoyed sitting out in the aft cockpit in our jackets drinking coffee and enjoying the outdoors (when it wasn't blowing 20 knots with sideways rain that is). Where it is hot and humid, the weather would drive me inside where there is AC.

OTOH, bikini weather could have some other benefits that I might enjoy. I do enjoy good scenery.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
We love the outside and carefully pick the weather. Sitka is located with instant access to the outside waters or the inside passages. This is the reason we live here. Oh, and the fishing is not bad here.

Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I also don't know anyone who has moved to the East Coast for any kind of boating. I have a friend who took a boat through the Panama Canal and up the coast, but I only joined him when he hit Maine. I like Maine, have relatives there, and love the boating there. I suppose I'd love to boat the Cape area (I've been to Nantucket many times but never on a boat), and perhaps the Chesapeake. And we're watching Bloodline - the first season had a Hinckley picnic boat and the keys looked interesting but then there's the swamps, alligators, drug runners...maybe skip that. I have a friend who had a 43' Egg Harbor sportfisher in Seattle and a 48' version in Florida. It was even on the TV show Bones for a couple of episodes. I've cruised with him up here and he invited me to Florida a couple of times but I'm not really into fishing - and then he sold the Florida boat.

But we have a ton of snowbirds in my YC - they have regular get togethers in Palm Springs through the winter and then come back and boat up here for 4 to 6 months.

Edit: I posted these images below in a thread last summer and said "it's hard for someone in the PNW to imagine why anyone would want to take a boat from here:"
Attachment 52693
"to here:"
Attachment 52694

Muddy water is good for the skin!

I like water I can jump into and not get hypothermia. Here's a shot of Mud Island near Rockport TX. We swam, but the oyster shells were a little hard on the feet.

[/URL][/IMG]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Wifey,
No but I'm not interested.
The weather forecast for Sunday .. THIS Sunday is for 95 degrees! And it's only the first few days of June.
It would be insane for me to go south.
I should'a stayed in Alaska.
Quite sure Alaska is still there though.
Wifey B: The forecast for Fort Lauderdale today and Sunday is 88 degrees. Nassau the same. Nice cool breeze off the ocean. Now, I'm not home. Where I am the high today is 76 degrees and where we'll be Sunday it will be 72 degrees.

Fort Lauderdale as of five minutes ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	FLL.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	52700
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
We love the outside and carefully pick the weather. Sitka is located with instant access to the outside waters or the inside passages. This is the reason we live here. Oh, and the fishing is not bad here.
ODH,
Only took you three complete sentences to mention fishing. You're a typical Alaskan. I'm not in that I rarely fish or hunt but there's much else to like about Alaska. We may even come back. Juneau or Sitka prolly. If we do. Not much social infastructure on POW.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #26

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Eric,

We have enjoyed the west side of POW. Even bought a lot in Port St Nick many years ago and thought we would build a cabin. After owning it for 20 years we never did build and sold it.

Ken
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #27

City: Edmonds
We love boating in the PNW. so many beautiful spots, lots to choose from whether you want busy or quiet. But if I could create the perfect cruising area, it would mix these factors:
Warm water to swim in, like Florida or Caribbean- swimming up her is cold.
Lobsters to catch for dinner - we love crabbing, but they're a lot of work to clean!
Funky small towns that are different from each other - it seems like every tourist-oriented store carries the same merchandise.
Lots of good, protected, quiet anchorages. We have "Useless Bay" near by and it is named for a reason.
Good Cell phone/internet access. Streaming a good movie after dinner on board can be fun.

But if an area had all that it would be crowded. So we'll take the PNW as-is.

Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote