Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #21

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
Latest

All cleared of clamps. Cleaning up the lose ends an will be starting on the engine well next week.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #22

Motorwell sides

What a great day at PNW Boat Works. Not only one but two sides of the motor well are complete.

I know things haven't been busy vacation will do that. But now things are on full swing.

Next I'll be laminating and working on the transom. That will be a fun part of the build

Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #23

The last week has been very busy. The week prior it was vacation so things were really slow then. But this, it was time to get cranking. Both sides are on, blocked, and I started to fill but the shop just go too hot this afternoon. I still have yet to clean up the bow/stem but will fair them as well as the chine getting ready to put the panels on the bottom. I still have to install the battens but things are moving along.

It's funny when I look at other shops and these pictures of no saw dust on the floor, no tools around and I wonder how much time these builders must spend putting away the tools and cleaning up saw dust. Just the other day I spent over an hour chasing my tale. Then I decided I would just build. I guess the closer I get to say painting I'll need to work on keeping the shop cleaner.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'll bet that engine well adds a great deal of strength to the boat.

Looking REALLY good now. This is probably the most exciting stage of a build no?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #25

I have enjoyed each stage of the building process. I do have to admit though, this is so far the most exciting as it's really beginning to take shape.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #26

The last month has been busy, saying goodbye to the summer. Taking one last vacation, getting my five year old off to school. Etc....

Lately I have been able to spend some good quality time on the Bartender. This has allowed me to complete some much needed work. Battens installed, faring complete on the Port side, just put a layer of fiberglass on the Port. faring the Starboard and laying fiberglass today. The motor well is complete. I am hopeful next week I'll be able to install the spray rail and bottom.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #27

Lots of projects going on but lots of things getting accomplished.
Working on a solid Sapele table, 24x12 turning out really nice with free floating tenon joints. Tomorrow I should be able to mount the top, sand and finish. I am not sure on what finish I'll be using. I love the beauty of Sapele so something clear, poly or varnish. I'll post pictures of this little gem. Something I am happy to have spent time completing.
I also have been working on some replacement boat parts on a 72 Willard. Pieces that have gone missing after several owners. V birth rails for the filler cushions. Blocks for the swing up berth in the salon. All being completed from teak. I'd like to stain it slightly as the teak in the boat is red. Replacements are turning out nicely. Pictures to follow in the next few days.

On to the Bartender.
Starboard and Port ply now has 6oz fiberglass that has been trimmed to size. Today I worked on dry fitting the spray rail, using 1/4" lag bolts, shim washers on the backside. I think I am going to run down some peel ply and just fill the backside with epoxy. I haven't yet made that decision but will by tomorrow.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #28

update

What an amazing week at PNW Boat Works last week. Finally finished up the spray rails on both sides of the boat. Scarfed the joint in the white oak and mounted today. Last week I decided to test the limits of perfection and made a chair. What an experience. You'd have to see the chair to understand all that went into it and how nice it is. Needless to say I really enjoyed the process and learned quite a bit throughout. Next step for the BT is to begin the process of putting the bottom on. I'll start that tomorrow. Starting with the bow and working my way back. I'll be allowing a full day to mount the bow panels. They need some real help to make the bend that is needed

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Nice chair . Very nice work .I do know what goes into making a chair .A chair has to withstand all kinds of stress from all directions . I made a couple of green wood slat back chairs a few years back .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #30

Bow

The impact of hanging an eight foot sheet on the frames. It was a good day! By Friday the bow should be complete!

Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #31

Update

Great progress on the BT over the last few days. Finished the bottom panels, filled the screw holes, taped the seams and laid down a layer of 6oz fiberglass. I decided since I am building this to be beachable to double up on the glass around the Keel so I have about two feet of fiberglass running down the center. I'll be mounting the keel, chine and then another layer of epoxy to fill in the weave. Just a few weeks away from flipping her!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #32

New Paint

Well - today was a great day! Put down the first coat of bottom paint on the BT 20.5. Found out I still have a little work to smooth out the bottom to my liking but it really came out quite nicely. I am looking forward to sanding (yes I said that...hit me in the head with a tack hammer) and putting down another coat. I was surprised as to how little I used in paint, it really went the distance. About 32 oz would have had some left over, made way too much but better that than have to wait another 30 minutes of sweat time. I was happy with the cut line too. I'll be adding a Navy boot too.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
Looks Great !
Hey, what are those long boards of cross grain teak in the foreground of your picture?
Those look good too!
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #34

Sharp eye. It's a custom job for a client. His boat has teak on the walls laid vertically and he wanted his window valances to match.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #35

It's really turning out quite sharp. I'll ask him to post pictures of the before and after job.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #36

Finished project on those valances, Thanks to Tolly Rogers for the pictures. Really turned out top!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #37

In the next day or so I'll have to post some new pictures of the Bartender - went back to sanding the bottom and put another (second) layer of epoxy paint on and it really laid down quite nice. For a bottom, I am happy!
This week I'll be working on fairing the hull sides, might mix some more epoxy for the splash well, paint, and throw down some primer on the hull. Then gather enough guys to flip this.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #38

Update

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I have really been focusing on getting some mile markers finished at the shop. Two weekends ago a handful of people came over to help with the boat flip. It went really well, better than expected. Since then I have been busy fairing the hull sides, then cutting and mounting the carlins. The stern carlin had to be cut five different times. Slight defects in the ply and snap three separate times. The fourth and fifth pieces went just fine, laminated up and used just about every clamp in the shop. Very happy with the results. Today I spent the bulk of the day fairing the carlins, sanding out some of the spots that will be nearly impossiable to get to once the deck goes on. I have decided to cut the deck in the next couple days but will hold off on the stern so that I can lay down some good fillets, epoxy and paint. I'll then enclose the space behind the motorwell. This will make for a little dry storage and positive flotation.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #39

Update, decks on!

Next week, remove decks, clean up some fillets create a water tight bulkhead behind frame 13 aft of the motorwell/spashwell, re-install and fiberglass the decks!

Old 03-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Really nice work . Beautiful lines .