PNW to Baltimore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
I will be in the Baltimore area (Laurel) from 22-26 April. Any advice on what to see and do? Apparently the sun rises over the water out there! Going to have to see that.

Baltimore's inner harbor can be interesting walk around for an afternoon. Some good choices for dinner there also. Google it for a list of attractions and restaurants.

Ted

Plenty to see and do in downtown/historic Annapolis also.

Inner Harbor is definitely worth a visit. Take a harbor tour on one of the boats. You may want to catch a ball game at Camden Yards. The Orioles are playing the Red Sox that weekend. The field is walking distance from the inner harbor -- we parked our boat there once and walked to the stadium for a game. It's a very nice stadium and a great way to spend an evening, even if you're not a fan or are a casual fan like us. Grab a crabcake and a beer and watch the game.

And I'll second Annapolis. It's worth at least one day. Check and see if you can get a tour of the Naval Academy. Take a short stroll down Main Street and around Ego Alley (Annapolis' "inner harbor"). Good restaurants are a short walk across the bridge in Eastport: O'Leary's and Carrol's Creek Cafe.

Laurel is about halfway between Baltimore and DC, and about a 30 minute drive to Annapolis. So much to see! Annapolis is really a charming town, and definitely nice to see such an historic place so well preserved - especially for you west coasters that don't have old towns. Not so much in Laurel. For an amazingly good meal in Laurel, check out Pasta Plus. It's a family owned restaurant in a strip center - looks like no place you'd want to be- and the food will knock your socks off. They wait in line nearly every night to get in. Not much else to recommend in Laurel proper. Lived there for 7 years. Hubby still works there.

Carrie and I were in Baltimore about a couple of years ago for a week. We rented a little house boat (non-functional) near Fells Point where we could stay on the water. The shops and restaurants around Fell's point are nice.

We highly recommend touring the USS Constellation. We also enjoyed visiting Edgar Allen Poe's grave.

If you like raw Oysters try Ryleigh’s Oyster in Federal Hill area. They have a decent oyster happy hour. Heavy Seas Brewery make some great beer.The brewery is near Johns Hopkins.

We wanted to visit Fort McHenry. However, the last government shutdown was ongoing.

Have a nice trip!

Kirk

I agree on the above: inner harbor, game at Camden Yards (one of the best ballparks, in my opinion) and Annapolis. If you have time, also consider a visit to DC. Tons of great and free museums. You will be here after the cherry blosoms, but lots of other things will be in full bloom.

Agreed. D.C. is worth a visit too if you've never been there. It really is a beautiful city, the memorials are impressive, and so are the museums (and they're free!). Just bring your walking shoes and be prepared to put a few miles on them!

Wow lots of great suggestions! Keep them coming.

Surrounded by three incredible but very different cities to see. As to Baltimore, I love visiting any waterfront public areas cities have built. Inner Harbor is very nice. Washington, of course the normal attractions and still to me the Smithsonian tops everything else, even in this internet age. Then there is Annapolis. I have no idea why, but we just love it. It caters to the water. It has uniqueness and style. Captures a feeling. Some areas you feel like you're back in history. Now, I've only been to Annapolis and Baltimore by water, but the waterfront areas are where it's happening. By the time you get there the ice should be thawed and people ready to enjoy spring.

Back
Top Bottom