Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Plywood swim platform?

I knew that would get some folks attention I am going to build a new swim platform for my boat and my thoughts were to build it out of plywood. 3/4"for the first layer with an epoxy laminated second layer of 1/2" turned perpendicular to the first. Next I was going to soak the whole thing in three coats of CPES and then paint using non-skid on top. Any reason this wouldn't be fast, strong, cheap and easy?*
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Plywood swim platform?

Even "marine" plywood like Brunzeel and its costly kin SUCK if emerged very much.

Loads of epoxy on the edges will be required.

Starboard? Foam core glass?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:
I knew that would get some folks attention I am going to build a new swim platform for my boat and my thoughts were to build it out of plywood. 3/4"for the first layer with an epoxy laminated second layer of 1/2" turned perpendicular to the first. Next I was going to soak the whole thing in three coats of CPES and then paint using non-skid on top. Any reason this wouldn't be fast, strong, cheap and easy?*
*You could have one fabricated out of aluminum for about the same money, with ten times the resistance to the elements.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Daddyo, only thing you could have said to get more attention is to mention the word bayliner, except their swim platforms are not made of plywood.

I'd get one fabricated from a welding shop that doesn't know "marine" means you should pay 2x's the regular rate.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Plywood swim platform?

Yeah Plywood won't last a year. To hard to get it sealed up right.

One little bump that cracks the covering and you've got water intrusion. Even with marine ply you will get delamination with a plywood core.

Trust me I built my back deck that way and just winter summer temperature differences causes cracks where you made a mistake and not gotten enough glass and resin on the hard to reach places.

*Aluminum, all fiberglass or all wood. (teak strips or the like.) Remember it sticks out like a sore toe easy to bang it on a slip rail or another boat.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 19th of January 2012 03:36:19 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Non Skid pattern Starboard.

Mike

Palm Coast Fl
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

Our second boat growing up was a 31' Trojan which Dad bought new in '67. It had a plywood swim step, covered with a rubberized non-skid material. It was still intact when he sold the boat in '76. We had covered moorage, so I am guessing the lack of fresh water hitting it helped keep it from rotting.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Plywood swim platform?

Before having my bow pulpit fabricated from 316L stainless, I made a prototype of 3/4" Baltic Birch from Home Depot. I glued it up 3 sheets thick with epoxy and cut a slot for the anchor. Shortly after that I decided to go with stainless and left it (prototype) outside with no paint or coating for three years to see what would happen. No delamination at all. I live in Southeastern CT.

YMMV

Rob

37' Sedan

-- Edited by Datenight on Monday 23rd of January 2012 08:56:32 PM
Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:
Any reason this wouldn't be fast, strong, cheap and easy?*
*As we say in our business, you can have it good, fast, and cheap.* Pick any two.

I have no doubt plywood would work for awhile.* Soaking it in CPES before painting it would make it last a longer while.* Making it out of plywood and then fiberglassing the whole thing would make it last*an even longer while.* Making it out of teak will make it last a real long while--- ours is 39 years old and still going.* You could make one out of the right kind of metal and it will last damn near forever.

In the end you'll get what you pay for in terms of time, materials, effort, and money.

So the answer to your quesiton is easy:* how much do you value 1) strength, 2) longevity, 3) ease of fabrication, 4) aesthetics,*5) cost, 6)safety,*and 7) resale value?

Assign a value of 1 to 5 to each item, 5 being the most valuable, and whichever attributes are closest to 5 will tell you how to build your swimstep.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Guru

How you gonna mount it.

You can get a piece of UHMW or Starboard walla you got it.

I've had one made for years. Just trying to figgure out the best way to mount it.

Hate drilling holes in the transom to bolt it on.

Sd
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

*It's what all the boat manufacturers do.* So if it's no big deal to Fleming, Grand Banks, and Nordic Tug I wouldn't think it should be a big deal to anyone else :-)
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:skipperdude wrote:

*It's what all the boat manufacturers do.* So if it's no big deal to Fleming, Grand Banks, and Nordic Tug I wouldn't think it should be a big deal to anyone else :-)

*I know. It's like take a deep breath hold it and then pull the trigger.

Any time I do something to the hull it's like that.

Apprehension, remorse. It's my boat we are talking about here.*

SD*
Old 01-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

I'm closing in on completion of repairs to my swim platform. I think I might have posted a pic back after Hurricane Irene bit a chunk out of it when the marina cleat pulled out of the dock. Our floating docks are constructed with "ipe" also spelled epi by some. It's supposed to be harder and more durable than teak. After the storm I was able to salvage some stock and rebuild the platform. I don't know how ipe costs relate to teak, but it's apparently a whole lot less:

http://www.advantagelumber.com/decking2.htm

A couple of pics below of work in progress.* Yep, I had to give up and paint it. The two different materials, plus a few spots that are glassed over, made it the only alternative.* The top coat of paint has a non-skid in it.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc00033.jpg   dsc00011.jpg   dsc00015.jpg   dsc00019.jpg   dsc00022.jpg  

dsc00026.jpg  
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Not too hard to mimic the original construction. Below the pic of my extension of 13" to my swimgrid. the inside 5 slats and 5 spacers are added. A teak plank 2"x6" made all the 14' long slats. Another 1.5"x4" made the spacers. Object of the exercise was to look like it came that way from the builder.
Attached Thumbnails
april 3rd 014.jpg  
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42

Keith it looks great. As a matter of interest what coating do you use on it? I've tried Marine Teak Oil repeatedly but it very rapidly loses its newly coated appearance.

Cheers
Janis
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
TF Site Team

Janis:

No coating on the top side, several coats of varnish on the bottom side, to keep it from going green. Last haulout, July 2011, the underside didn't yet need any attention, after 5 yrs. The top side is uniform in colour, now grey, good for traction when wet, needs no attention. In the picture, you can see the new boards are a slightly "newer " colour than the old, which had the green sanded off them. I flipped the original swimgrid over, which gave an unworn appearance to the old part.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I did a plywood swimstep for our 38 Tolly. two layers of 3/4 AC plywood epoxied together and cover with glass cloth put on with epoxy rather than polyester resin. Used 1" tubing flattened on the ends for the angle brackets ala Bayliner. Lasted several years while we had the boat, don't know how it is faring now.
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #18
Guru

Well it's done and not quite plywood. I used Ipe. Screwed together with stainless screws and epoxy. Just need to put the perpendicular ends on or I might just finish the edge with rub rail. The boards at the outside edge are a couple of days less in the sun. Added nearly a foot in width. Ipe is much, much stiffer and stronger then teak.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1493.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
TF Site Team

Wow, what a great looking swim grid.
I am sure you don't regret the extra work or cost, over your originally posted thought to use plywood.
That swimgrid will last as long as the boat, and look good the whole time.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
Guru

Thanks! I just couldn't resist working in the material I know best, good old wood.