Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

City: eitzen
plywood boat plan

I am looking for a plan for a plywood cruiser - 90 percent for coastal cruising ( several months at a time) but would need to be able to make a passage to Easter Island, should accomodate family of four with 2 guest for a week or so at a time, beachable, draft under 2 feet , prop fully protected by skeg, displacement speed is fast enough , around 40 ft length, center board or retractable ? okay , trawler catamaran ? buehler ullin light? Parker Dory 50 ? woods skoota 38 ? ( told range would be limitede due to tankage size for displacement) I prefer ply on frame but will consider anything Thanks, Raymond
raymond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
The Easter Island? Rapa Nui? Due west of Chile? The one with the stone heads. The moai? One of the most remote places in the world? Of Kon Tiki fame? That Easter Island?
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

yes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Guru

Cool.

That's ambitious.

Welcome aboard!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #5

had intended to build a diesel duck , but have since changed my mind, any direction would be appreciated thanks, Raymond
Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Perth
Plans? Why on earth would you want to build to a set of plans (says he who wished he had a set of plans instead of making it up as the build continues) haha

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Take a look at Sam Devlin's designs. He's got several plywood designs in the size you're talking about. I don't think any of his boats have the range you'd need to make it under power to Easter Island. Devlin's Sockeye 45 if built as a motor sailor might be suitable.
Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Sockeye 45

A good friend of mine had always wanted to go to Easter Island. He finally made it last year when he took a cruise ship to Australia that stopped for a day in Easter Island. He was pretty disappointed. You might want to do some more research on that before you make that kind of range a requirement.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I have built a boat from scratch. It took over two years and cost more than buying one already on its feet. I'm glad I did it, I learned much, but I don't think most realize how much work is involved. It took four months to loft, build, glass and flip the hull. I thought I was near being done. No where close!!

40', room for six, 2' draw, bluewater long range voyage capable?? Very ambitious. A 40' boat usually has a propeller around 2' in diameter, and that must be under water.

Probably best to shop for a sailboat. For 50k, you could be on the water in a week.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Probably best to shop for a sailboat. For 50k, you could be on the water in a week.
The west coast of the Americas is prime sailing country. Couldn't agree more with Ski's comments. A well outfitted 38 to 44 foot sailboat would be 1/2 the cost of your dream project and if bought wisely, could be easily resold. We've friends with a sailing cat and they've been all over the Americas' west coasts on it.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

Unless of course he wants the satisfaction of building his own craft.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
Guru

Have you been reading books on construction methods? George Beuhler's books come to mind.

The Diesel Duck does seem to meet most of your criteria. Idlewild, except with an aluminum hull, proves the dream can be done.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
More than 1800 miles from Chile...any intermediate stops as that's really beyond "coastal cruising".....

My vote is a big old sailboat hull either used as a sailboat or retrofitted as something between sail and Boxy trawler....much easier and quicker...but if you want to go the hefty trawler route with good resale...seek out a naval architect you would work with and get what you want.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Try this guys. They only design for amateur buiders
B & G Yacht Design - Curruira 33
B & G Yacht Design - Curruira 42
BG Yacht Design - Southern Voyager 38
BG Yacht Design - Southern Voyager 28

They are the ones who design my hull.
Have fun

Portuguese
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
This looks like a good place to start.

2004 Diesel Duck 38 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #15

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
plywood boat plan

If you are thinking at all about resale, buy a used boat and use your skills to make it perfect. Use it and when the time comes, sell it. The market for a used home-made boat is pretty small.

If you're a boater, buy a boat and spend your time on the water!
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
Look at Glen-L we'd site. They have some boat plans that would meet your needs (and patterns are full size - no lifting)
Good luck
Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #17

building

I intend to build the boat - have built a few already - largest 27 foot cabin cruiser ( which my wife calls the little ship), not concerned about resale ( can't post on here what the wife says about that)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond1 View Post
had intended to build a diesel duck , but have since changed my mind, any direction would be appreciated thanks, Raymond
Why have you ruled out a Diesel Duck?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
There once was many many plywood boats and plans. One of the greatest boat designers of the last century Atkin has many designs that can be planked in ply. Check out Atkin Boat Plans or just atkinboatplans.com. At least a great browse for those that appreciate good lines and hull forms. I have his design book and browse it regularly. I have several study plans and intend to purchase 2 full plans soon.

I'm not fond of the Glen L boats. Too many wide flat and fast. I almost bought a Glen L boat though. A 28' plywood trawler w a 36hp Perkins. Eventually bought a 30' Willard. See where contacting the Wooden Boat Center takes you.

I can't quite remember a good possibility something like Haplong but don't think he offers anything big enough for you. Perhaps our resident designer TAD that's some recommendations. Also go on boatdesign.net and surf. A huge site so it may take time to hit pay dirt.

I'm with you on plywood. Very strong, light or both to a lesser degree. And relatively easy to construct. I designed and built an experimental boat in the 70s and I used ply and resourcinal glue.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #20

about a duck

really like the deisel ducks but wanted something shoal draft , also none of the plans that I reviewed had accomodations for other than a couple, read I think all his books

has anybody looked at the parker marine 50 ft dory or the 42 ft catamaran plans by him ? seems the catamaran might be ideal ( not sure how I would get a 20 -22 ft wide boat off the property short of a helicopter though)