Old 08-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Sea strainerfor emergency pump

My boat came equipped with a strainer and valve so that the engines cooling system could be used as a pump. See attached pics.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #22
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I chartered a trawler with a Y-valve and a strainer on the raw water intake. It looked like a nice setup on a single 120 Lehman. I just looked up the specs on the 6BT 210 Cummins we have, 22 GPM. Based on what I see out the exhaust that sounds about right. Either way 22 GPM (1320 GPH) isn't much for an emergency pump, but I guess every little bit helps.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
My Luggers pull thorough 30GPM each so I guess that would be 60GPM or one gallon per second if I had time to switch both of them over.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #24
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
what pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
My boat came equipped with a strainer and valve so that the engines cooling system could be used as a pump. See attached pics.

Sorry, for some reason, the pic did not attach.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
If you use the main engine as a pump via the raw water intake, and you are a single screw vessel, increasing the speed of the boat will dramatically increase the amount of flow coming into the vessel due to water pressure on the hull.
Hmm... not sure if that is exactly true.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I read an account some time ago where a guy's pumps were not keeping up. He closed the raw water intakes for his engines, disconnected the hoses and ran the engines to the yard near WOT with someone watching the water level so he didn't run the engines dry.

Don't know if that was an urban myth or not!
It's not a myth. I've done it with a pair of CATs. Saved the boat from sinking at the dock.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #27
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Saw this product in our local marine store. A bit awkward but universal for a puncture.
Sta-Plug Emergency Plug

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #28
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Stay Afloat is a good product to carry. It will plug thru hulls, split hoses, hull cracks, etc.

Video:
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Stay Afloat is a good product to carry. It will plug thru hulls, split hoses, hull cracks, etc.
Interesting. All of those examples seem to be low pressure issues. I am not sure a through hull, hose, or crack failure on my boat would be that low pressure?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #30

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegrķa
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Interesting. All of those examples seem to be low pressure issues. I am not sure a through hull, hose, or crack failure on my boat would be that low pressure?
Six feet under water would be a differential pressure on the hull of about 3psi, no?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #31

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Alegrķa
Vessel Model: Overblue 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Hmm... not sure if that is exactly true.
If the leak is in the transom, the pressure might be greatly reduced. Maybe by planing or semi-planing, you could get the leak out of the water, depending where it is.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I have seen that before and think it would be a good thing to have on board. I also have rescue tape on board for issues with hoses etc.... However, I have to admit that the rescue tape is stuffed into a lazarette somewhere. Not much help if I have to go hunting for it, or it is in a location that is under water. The same would be true of Stay Afloat. Only works if you can put your hands on it quickly. I really need to organize my boat better.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #33
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Six feet under water would be a differential pressure on the hull of about 3psi, no?
Yes. The pressure at a through hull at the water line is zero. Figure about 0.459 psi per foot. So hull breaches are low pressure. However, at times, depending on the size of the hole, can be very high volume!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #34
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Yup, the examples appear that way. I see their FAQ says:

Quote:
How much pressure can it handle?

We have tested Stay Afloat to 19.15 PSIA at 3 meters deep for 24hrs with no compromise. It also depends on how much material you use and how big the damage area is, common sense, the bigger the hole the more you use.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #35

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Quote:
I read an account some time ago where a guy's pumps were not keeping up. He closed the raw water intakes for his engines, disconnected the hoses and ran the engines to the yard near WOT with someone watching the water level so he didn't run the engines dry.

Don't know if that was an urban myth or not!
A friend of mine did this while running from New Hampshire down to Fl back in the 80s. They took the "outside" route past Georgia, were roughly 25mi offshore, big seas, hit a container. At least, that's what the coast guard said it was.
His initial indication that something was wrong was his boat doing a slow 360 while on autopilot. He reset course, reset autopilot, and a very soon the boat did another 360 turn.
He quickly went below decks and discovered water coming in through a hull puncture in near the bow. They hailed the coasties, who dispatched a helio.
In the meantime, Mike did exactly that, as the pumps were not keep up, and it was the only means he could think of to get more water out of the boat.
The helio showed up and they lowered 2 more pumps in an attempt to save the boat...even that wasn't enough.
Crew was hoisted up, and Mike was the last to go, and on the way out the last thing he did was grab his small hand-held Garmin GPS, quite the tool at that time, and stuff it in his pocket.
His crew was laying down in the main cabin due to rough seas. They said that they had heard a sort of "bump" when the boat came down off the top of a wave, but didn't really feel anything.
Think the boat was either a 38' MT or a 40' Albin.

So no, don't think it's an urban myth.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #36
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Maybe not urban myth...but definitely arguable that it may be or not be practicable for many vessels.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #37

City: Mary Esther, FL
Vessel Name: Southern C's
Vessel Model: Cabo 31 Express
Keep in mind that the rating of a bilge pump is at ITS outlet not the end of the hose. You need smooth bore hoses which most trawlers have, plus a short run. Your outflow is actually less.
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #38

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mary A
Vessel Model: Chris-Craft Speedster
Quote:
I keep a heavy tarp on board with lines attached which will reach around the hull. The plan would be to drop the tarp off the bow and work it into place to cover hull damage and slow water intrusion.
Aka: fothering sail, or fothering tarp; as you like
Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #39
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have to admit that the rescue tape is stuffed into a lazarette somewhere. Not much help if I have to go hunting for it, or it is in a location that is under water. The same would be true of Stay Afloat. Only works if you can put your hands on it quickly. I really need to organize my boat better.
Hmm. Good point. I've got tape and some plugs and hose clamps, but couldn't tell you off-hand where they are.

Maybe I need to make a "keep-from-ditching bag" holding all this stuff in one place.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #40
Guru

City: kemah
You guys are way over thinking this.

just wrap that hull breach with a blue tarp.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote