Old 08-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Before you reject the KK42, I would have a serious look at this particular KK42 in Anacortes. I believe the seller might be motivated. It's a 1991. I have a 1985 model and despite what Ksanders said, the cored hull is just fine.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990.../United-States

I believe you will find that your boating destinations might well include much more northern locations and you can certainly do that on this boat. This vessel has been well maintained.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Before you reject the KK42, I would have a serious look at this particular KK42 in Anacortes. I believe the seller might be motivated. It's a 1991. I have a 1985 model and despite what Ksanders said, the cored hull is just fine.

1990 Krogen 42 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I believe you will find that your boating destinations might well include much more northern locations and you can certainly do that on this boat. This vessel has been well maintained.

Jim
What did I say???

EDIT ***

I looked over the thread, and I said nothing about the KK42 hull. The only person who said anything about the KK42 hull was the OP, who indicated that he had one and it had a problem.

For the record...

I think the KK42 is one of the finest looking boats I have ever seen. Other than seeing them from the outside I have zero hands on experience with them.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
What did I say???

EDIT ***

I looked over the thread, and I said nothing about the KK42 hull. The only person who said anything about the KK42 hull was the OP, who indicated that he had one and it had a problem.

For the record...

I think the KK42 is one of the finest looking boats I have ever seen. Other than seeing them from the outside I have zero hands on experience with them.

I'm sorry, my mistake!!!! I misread Ksanders post, as he referred to the cored decks and of course that can be a problem with the earlier hulls. I'm sorry! :-(

Jim
Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We're good.

I really do like the KK42's I've seen... Very nice!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Cobalt 293
1988 Bayliner Pilothouse Motoryacht With Bow & Stern Thrusters Power Boat For
Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Here is an outside the box idea, charter this for a week.

NW Explorations – Charters, Marine Services and Yacht Sales | 46′ DeFever Pilothouse – John’s Dear - NW Explorations - Charters, Marine Services and Yacht Sales

I seldom recommend charter to experienced boaters but I think one week aboard this boat will put feathers on the darts of your ideas. DeFever makes the quintessential RPH design with covered side and aft decks.
I think the idea of chartering is an excellent one and I would really like to do it this winter. I know it may seem odd to think about a winter charter but....
- It might be less expensive and available over a long weekend instead of a week.
- I want the experience of using a trawler in the typical wet and cool weather we have.
- I am hoping that there might be more boats available in the off season.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:10 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:

1990 Krogen 42 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I had seen that boat on Yachtworld and thought it was pretty interesting. The list price is well above not only my budget but what I would be happy spending on a 25 year old boat. But it does look nice.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:15 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
I'm sorry, my mistake!!!! I misread Ksanders post, as he referred to the cored decks and of course that can be a problem with the earlier hulls. I'm sorry! :-(
The confusion was my fault. I did have a 1983 boat with soft decks as a result of saturation of a wood core laminate. However, it wasn't a KK, nor even a powerboat. It was a Catalina 36 that I inherited from my Dad who had bought it in terrible shape and slowly brought it back to life.

Having that experience, I am a bit shy of wood cored hulls and decks. They can be great if the are continually well maintained, but it only takes a small amount of water intrusion to create problems.

I think the KK42 is a beautiful boat with a very practical layout. I would be very interested in one if I could find the right one. Have to convince the wife as well though.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #29
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Bayliner 4788 - Northport NY 11768
Old 08-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I had seen that boat on Yachtworld and thought it was pretty interesting. The list price is well above not only my budget but what I would be happy spending on a 25 year old boat. But it does look nice.

It doesn't cost anything to go on it for a look. If the decks are good, it's worth looking at. Remember, the asking price is just that: an asking price.

Jim
Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
It doesn't cost anything to go on it for a look. If the decks are good, it's worth looking at. Remember, the asking price is just that: an asking price.
Good point. Even though I have been sailing since I was 5 years old, I have only purchased 1 boat in my life. Before that I was happy to use my father's boats, until he died suddenly (stroke while anchored in Telegraph Harbor) and then I inherited his. So am am very inexperienced in the whole process having only done it once.

I don't have a good feel for the difference between asking and selling price. It also seems to vary a lot with the type of boat as near as I can tell.

Dave
Old 08-31-2015, 02:45 PM   #32
Guru

Please offer your boat suggestions....

There is a "sticky" thread above called boat search101. Lots of good information. 3 years ago we were in the same position you are now: we...

1) got on lots of boats to see what we liked. What we thought we liked at the beginning was very different to where we landed.
2) did a couple of bare boat charters to see if this is what we really wanted to do...you are probably past that stage. But you might fine tune your wants a bit.
3) walked away from an accepted offer if we were uncomfortable with it after survey.
4) most important. We asked ourselves "what is this boat worth to us". And really "soul search" that answer. It doesn't matter what they are asking, it's what is this boat worth to you that matters.

In the end we still ask ourselves "what have we gotten ourselves into!"

Jim
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #33
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Depending on how opposed you are to twins and flybridges, there are loads of Mainships on the market. A 430 might suit your needs quite well.