Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
With regards to the rudders, it depends on the boat. GBs have pretty good-size spade rudders. In a following sea the issue not rudder response. Our boat goes where you want it to go right now. The rudder response is great. But in a following sea the boat gets pushed all over the place so you're constantly making corrections. The boat makes them right away, but then you have to almost immediately correct for the next whack on the transom.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yea I hear ya.
After a few hours it gets real tiring and at some point it likely will get dangerous. In inside coastal waters it never lasts for long but in the ocean it last many hours or even a day or more. And I think the GB is a bit ahead of most trawlers in seaworthyness but even the GB is not an ofshore boat. Cautious, well planed and brief runs into open ocean waters is of course commonplace but not trips up and down the coast. I think the 2 boats I mentioned or equivalent only should be recommended to the OP.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
but these guys arent very fuel efficient from what ive heard? never seen any with diesel engines either have u?

No Go fast boat is going to be "furl Efficient" , unless 1 nm per gallon is efficient.

Diesel? So you will be out fishing over 100 -200 days a year?
Not likely. I fish mountain lakes bays rivers also so maybe 40-50 days per year. much of the time the boat will sit at the dock as a roost for birds unless its on a cruise. Not many good cruise places close to Coos bay like there is up north or down south unfortunately
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
Guru

whew so much good info

I looked at a willard in friday harbour the day before yesterday and a defever tri cabin 40 yesterday in anatores and today i am trying to get my heater working in drain oregon
The willard was cramped but was like new a very nice boat. The defever was huge weighing 40,000 lbs with twin chrysler d's both with less than 2000 hours. I really liked the defever but its so big and heqavy i think about fuel consumtion.
what do you guys think of defevers this size for occasional offshore cruises to great gunkholing areas like the ca, delta or portlaND OR THE SOUND?

The willard i looked at came up on its own bottom from so cal so i know it can do the job it holds 70 gallons of fuel while the defever holds 400
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
Guru

that loos like a great boat for what i would use it for. thanks Marin
Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
With regards to the rudders, it depends on the boat. GBs have pretty good-size spade rudders. In a following sea the issue not rudder response. Our boat goes where you want it to go right now. The rudder response is great. But in a following sea the boat gets pushed all over the place so you're constantly making corrections. The boat makes them right away, but then you have to almost immediately correct for the next whack on the transom.
Same here for the Coot, Marin.

It's not unusual Otto doesn't steer properly when seas come from behind as he reacts after the stern is pushed around. Need to steer manually by "the seat of the pants" so one can anticipate the sea's effect. Usually, no more than a quarter turn of the wheel is sufficient.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Some better AP have a feature that will speed up the response to an error.

Since the stern is kicked off rapidly by a big wave , a more rapid rate of response is required.

Just look in Da Book, and set it for the current conditions.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote