Plastic or Cash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
For those who have cruised the remote areas of the Inside Passage, when you have visited, what type of payment is the preferred way to pay for moorage and goods?

This question came up today in a discussion with the Admiral. I would expect in the more populist areas all forms are accepted. But say I go out to a remote marina or supplies such as Eco Bay, how do you pay?:confused:

I paid by credit card or check everywhere we went. Mostly CC. I think the only places I used cash were small food establishments.

Can't say for the inside passage...but seems to be a universal rue that the farther you go from civilization, the more cash only situations (or discount for cash) pop up.

Even along the AICW, there are places that discount for cash or only deal in it.

The biggest reason I heard so far was on member here I thought got stuck someplace and the only mechanic that would respond within a reasonable time demanded cash (at least for parts...can't remember).

I would think that in really remote places that having some cash for the chance of an emergency tow by who knows (cash only) might be critical.

I think you can plan on plastic all but a few times...but carrying a fuel load or two, several meals out, a few nights dockage, weekly pocket money, and a $500 emergency lump sum for repair/parts in cash for a multiple month trip is prudent.

Last edited:
20 years ago we always carried a fair amount of cash, both US and Canadian. There were some small town fuel docks that did not do plastic. Now I still carry a fair amount out of habit, but generally bring most of it back home at the end of the summer. We do wind up paying for moorage sometimes by check - most often when we arrive late and leave early, and the office is not open. A few small towns don't even have a manned harbor office - just a deposit box.

Last edited:
I think you can plan on plastic all but a few times...but carrying a fuel load or two, several meals out, a few nights dockage, weekly pocket money, and a $500 emergency lump sum for repair/parts in cash for a multiple month trip is prudent.

That sounds like a good plan. Also note that most places I've encountered where there is better pricing for cash, like buying fuel, "cash" also means "check". I typically pay for fuel by check, even if there isn't a discount. For a big purchase like that, I'd rather put the extra $$ in the merchant's hand than Mastercard or Visa.

If you are using a credit card from a U.S. bank, traveling through BC it is much easier to use a credit card for payment in BC. Yes, there is a charge by the card company but the exchange rate will be correct.

Oh, be sure to let your card company know in advance of your travel plans or risk having the transaction denied.

Oh, be sure to let your card company know in advance of your travel plans or risk having the transaction denied.

Correct. When one of our cards was rejected for fuel in Klemtu the card company called and asked "what is an Indian Band?" Also be sure to have a card that has no foreign transaction fees.

We have a Canadian bank account for check writing in BC.

Last edited:
We used CC almost exclusively last summer. Even small marinas like Kwatsi, well off the grid take CC. Your biggest issue running north is water. You will often have to travel considerable distances to get it and last summer it was rationed. We carry 350 gallons and we are glad we have them. Shearwater boasts they have water but make it very difficult to get it. You have to move your boat to do so and the flow is negligible. Ocean Falls has unlimited water. Klemtu, Bella Bella were refusing boats last summer during the drought. Not sure of Hartley Bay. A water maker would be nice but we still cannot justify the cost and maintenance involved. Most of the water available in the Broughtons is untreated and quite humic.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Fortunately, water shouldn't be much of an issue this summer. Snow packs are above normal and all the rivers, stream, and reservoirs are maxed out. Hopefully the wells that were low or dry last summer will be restored over this winter.

If you use a CC your bank is going to give you the exact exchange rate. That's not always true at small places in small places. In those little, out of the way places you're at their mercy when it comes to the exchange rate.

Smaller , owner operated stops may frequently give the best deal with real Ca$h.

Sounds just like the Alaska Highway, which I have travelled a dozen times or more over the years.

We hold 250 USG of water so with some conservation, it looks like we might be OK. I was told to top off water when ever possible.

Honey no you can't wash your hair today! It hasn't been a week yet from the last time!!!

If you are interested in exchanging US funds for Cdn, the best places are the small outfits that operate in the larger urban areas. Unfortunately they aren't in the places that are convenient for cruising boaters. US banks are probably the worst places to purchase Cdn funds, in my experience and you will take a bath of several % over the posted rates. Worth researching this before you leave the US. There may be good options stateside.

Jim

Having a CC without foreign transaction fees is best.

We head out with about $500 cash, usually bring $350 back.

200 gallons fresh water gives us a duration of around 10 days with 4 persons, 20 days with 2 persons. Given a provisions duration of around 10-14 days (depending on fishing/crabbing/prawning success), we try to get to a provisioning port every 10 days or so.

With this schedule, we only end up taking municipal water, no brown stuff.

Last year during the water shortage when Port McNeill and Port Hardy could not supply, Sointula had lots.

Fortunately, water shouldn't be much of an issue this summer. Snow packs are above normal and all the rivers, stream, and reservoirs are maxed out. Hopefully the wells that were low or dry last summer will be restored over this winter.

The problem last year there was little rain for several months. The conditions were drier than average in 2014 as well. These coastal communities are on small islands with very little "in-ground" water storage and no reservoirs. They really depend on rainfall during the summer months for their water. The mainland communities of Ocean Falls, Kitimat and Prince Rupert are not affected. Not sure about Hartley Bay.

Jim

"Don't forget the US Treasury FinCEN filing if you are a US resident or citizen with a foreign bank account. "

Now that is just being silly. Google the requirement for a FINCEN filing and you get this:"
  1. the United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported."
While we encourage you to spend your $US in Canada, you should be able to do a vacation on your charge cards and $9999.99 or less in cash.

I've been doing foreign transactions via offshore bank accounts for 45 years. Thus far I've avoided incarceration and with Koliver a short boat ride away to offer me further guidance I feel even better. Now, about taking those Cuban cigars from Canada back into the US. :confused:

"Don't forget the US Treasury FinCEN filing if you are a US resident or citizen with a foreign bank account. "

Now that is just being silly. Google the requirement for a FINCEN filing and you get this:"
  1. the United States person had a financial interest in or signature authority over at least one financial account located outside of the United States; and
  2. the aggregate value of all foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported."
While we encourage you to spend your $US in Canada, you should be able to do a vacation on your charge cards and $9999.99 or less in cash.

I had not remembered the $10,000 aggregate balance trigger, my bad. Since it is a daily balance, not the amount flowing through, for the purpose discussed here the requirement never needs to be be triggered. Even if you did, the reporting is not burdensome, the only potential burden is the penalty for failing to file.

OK for you twice a week......................:ermm:

Wifey B: No no no no no...(By the way...where did the nonono smilie go?).

Answer this question and you'll have the answer.
How many days are there in a week?

Actually I just do a light wash some days, just one shampooing, and a full wash, two shampoos, a conditioner, and a fortifying treatment every three days or so. I'll freely admit that long hair is a pain to take care of. But I'm keeping it long. Besides my hubby shampoos it for me. :) That's our water conservation, sharing the shower. ;)

That would be water conservation if I had a bigger shower. How do you do on long cruises????? For me a sailor shower every days.........

That would be water conservation if I had a bigger shower. How do you do on long cruises????? For me a sailor shower every days.........

Wifey B: Small shower has it's advantages too. We shower daily regardless which is why we'd be in big trouble without a watermaker. If I had to give up some things on the boat, a whole lot would go before I'd surrender the watermaker. Ok, our Riva is tight and we do sometimes have to shower separately on it. :)

Wifey B: Small shower has it's advantages too. We shower daily regardless which is why we'd be in big trouble without a watermaker. If I had to give up some things on the boat, a whole lot would go before I'd surrender the watermaker. Ok, our Riva is tight and we do sometimes have to shower separately on it. :)

Yeah, Florida (and most of eastern USA) is hot and sweaty (and miserable) much of the year. That's why I don't go there willingly. I'm usually good for two/three days sans shower over here.

Yeah, Florida (and most of eastern USA) is hot and sweaty (and miserable) much of the year. That's why I don't go there willingly. I'm usually good for two/three days sans shower over here.

Wifey B: Ooooh....hot and sweaty....:devil:

I don't know what part of FL you've visited, but South Florida is temperate or at least to us. Never been 100 degrees here. Cool breeze off the ocean. The humidity keeping your skin and and system moist. It's funny how we adjust to different areas. I'd really miss summer living where you do and love it. You have a very short winter and then spring and fall just run together. Nice weather, but never really warm. Meanwhile you'd hate that our 80 degree days in February and the 90 degree days in summer. Just for the record, our high in 2015 was 95 degrees. Nothing like Northern Florida. Orlando had 98, Jacksonville 102.

Even if I wasn't I'd just feel dirty if I ever went three days without a shower.

Visa/Mastercard is accepted at every fuel dock I've stopped at between Olympia and Juneau, including all the marinas in the Broughtons. AMEX is less commonly accepted. Many of the smaller marinas start a tab for you when you arrive. Fuel, meals, moorage, supplies, etc. are all added to the tab and then you settle up at the end.

I like having some emergency cash on board, but I've never needed it. Just about the only time I use cash when cruising is for odds and ends...a cinnamon roll at Meyers Chuck, bread from the bakery boat, a "tip" for the caretaker at Butedale...

Even if I wasn't I'd just feel dirty if I ever went three days without a shower.

Betcha the humidity makes you feel dirty. It does me.

Visa/Mastercard is accepted at every fuel dock I've stopped at between Olympia and Juneau, including all the marinas in the Broughtons. AMEX is less commonly accepted. Many of the smaller marinas start a tab for you when you arrive. Fuel, meals, moorage, supplies, etc. are all added to the tab and then you settle up at the end.

I like having some emergency cash on board, but I've never needed it. Just about the only time I use cash when cruising is for odds and ends...a cinnamon roll at Meyers Chuck, bread from the bakery boat, a "tip" for the caretaker at Butedale...

Thanks. This is what I wanted to hear. I was a little distracted by the shower posts....:smitten:

Back
Top Bottom