Old 01-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Plans To Redevelop Alameda Marina In The Works

At a community meeting in November, the developer/majority shareholder in the property, Bill Poland, showed 4 or 5 iterations of the plan, none of which included ANY marine businesses. The boatyard, chandlery, sailmakers, metalshop, electricians etc.- all gone. To be replaced by 100% mixed retail and residential.

Last month, a vocal member of another boating forum who wrote a letter to the Alameda Sun critical of the plan was evicted without cause from his dry-storage berth at Alameda, by direct order of the developer.

Yesterday, minorty shareholder and owner of the property, Sean Svendsen was forced to resign and his harbormaster, Brock De Lappe, was fired, again by the developer.

Good info, discussion and links here:

Alameda Marina redevelopment

Also from that other forum:

If you're sitting here reading this thread and you haven't done anything like write to the Alameda City Council members, with a copy going to the City Clerk, then...ahhhhh... well, you think about that.

Here's the City Council: City Council | City of Alameda

Each council members name is a link to their own page which has an e-mail address in it. Keep in mind that e-mail is nice but e-mails can be deleted. However, WRITTEN LETTERS especially if a copy is sent to the City Clerk, can not be ignored or deleted.

Mayor Trish Herrera Spencer
Vice Mayor Frank Matarrese
Councilmember Tony Daysog
Councilmember Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft
Councilmember Jim Oddie

AND send copies to the City Clerks office --

2263 Santa Clara Avenue
Alameda, CA 94501

I would suggest that folks keep letters to two paragraphs and stick to two or three salient points. Half a page or three-quarters of a page is plenty. Do not imply that you are from Alameda if you don't live there. For heavens sake don't write four pages including your conspiracy theories about the Feds and aliens, OK?

I can hear it now... "I'd write but I don't want to get booted, too".

My friend, are you not paying attention? If Alameda Marina Development LLC is not stopped, you're going to GET BOOTED ANYWAY. Keeping your head down and doing nothing makes you the little puppet, squeezing out another 12 months (maybe) of relief from the merciful hand of the Developer. How long until YOUR 30-day notice is in the mailbox, huh?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Guru

This just in:

Old 03-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Guru

The City Council meeting last night was well attended by fans of the marina- I'd say maybe 50 or so stayed until the bitter end (the agenda item wasn't called until well after 11:00 p.m. and discussion of it didn't end until after 12:30 a.m.) and the boating community was well represented by over 20 speakers who were eloquent and passionate. Interestingly, Bill Poland and his lackey left about an hour before the agenda item was reached and did not return. I'm sure he would have been interested by the position the Council took on the matter. The take-away was (IMHO) that the City Council is going to investigate modifying the MX zoning overlay at the Alameda Marina property, with an eye towards maintaining the vibrant, historic and irreplaceable marine facilties there. It is clear that redevelopment at the Alameda Marina is not a done-deal and Bill Poland may not get everything (or anything) he wants.