Old 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Six knots is fast enough. What's the hurry?

Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Six knots is fast enough. What's the hurry?
There isn't one if that's all the faster you can go.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
My thoughts when I hear something like this, whether its boats or houses, is sell it and buy/build what you really want.
That goes for women as well.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
............ if you read the OPs text he said he immediately noticed a difference............
You wouldn't expect him to say otherwise would you?

How was the difference measured?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Very good post Marin on relativity.

I love to drive my new Jetta .. even fast. It does it like only a new car can and w more power than I ever thought possible w a two liter car. But I also have an 87 Nissan Altima w 276K on it. They spec out very similar in some very important ways .. 4cyl, 1.8 & 2 liter disp, 4 doors both 5 speeds. They both are super sweet but in totally different places. The Jetta on hard acceleration and smooth speed on a smooth road. The Stanza on slow running as in under 50 like I've got no place to go enjoying every shift. Really like them both. One's fast and ones slow.

With the Willard we never even think of going faster than 6 knots. We just go 6 knots until we are there. Or a bit less or more depending on the tide. But I'd rather (most of the time) be going 12 knots. Not re the time it takes to get places but how wonderfully a boat moves at that speed. Nice and clean and free in the water. Dynamic like flying in three axis banking in the turns .... not like bobbing and rocking seemingly unsure of any destination. Rolling and heaving is replaced by gracious sweeps and curves that is beauty in motion. Full disp is more like riding and driving a bus.

But I get along well at 6 knots since I'm retired and can go cruising for hundreds of miles. Remember my copy "A Long Way Home"? We can go the distance at 6 knots and have never used more power than it takes to go 6.4 knots (2500rpm). We drink a lot of tea on the boat though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Remember my copy "A Long Way Home"? We can go the distance at 6 knots and have never used more power than it takes to go 6.4 knots (2500rpm). We drink a lot of tea on the boat though.
Well, I'll leave it at this: You've done more cool boating and seen more fabulous country at 6 knots than I ever will at any speed, including 25 knots.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #27
Guru

Marin I haven't done noth'in compared to many here on the forum but we're going back (finally) into the water and when we're ready we'll head for the south sound to do some lazy anchoring.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Marin I haven't done noth'in compared to many here on the forum but we're going back (finally) into the water and when we're ready we'll head for the south sound to do some lazy anchoring.
Yeah but.... Your boating has been up and down the Inside Passage and in SE Alaska. In my estimation, one run on the Inside Passage or through SE Alaska is the equivelent of 30 runs on that ditch they have along the east coast. So by my calculations, you're actually quite aways ahead of the game.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Delaware City, DE
Noobe question here. It looks like the cost of operation (Fuel) is the major deciding factor in most people's choice of hull type. How often do you guys find a situation where you wish you had just a little more speed to get out of a bad situation (bad weather and such)? And if you had that capibility would you only use it sparingly or would you (like me) be tempted to push the throttle up just another notch for the fun of it?

Just trying to learn as much as I can before the process moves from the internet looking stage to the shoe leather on the dock stage.

Thanks
Tom
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
Exactly why I bought a semi planing boat. The dogma among the trawler fans is that engine size determines fuel use while in reality it is the operator that is the biggest determiner of fuel use. At slow speed fuel is a small part of the cost of boating but a limitless cause of debate.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #31
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
It's not black or white.

Sure I wish I had sprint speed..but I'd be tempted every time I wanted to get some place sooner.

With a lot of cruising...that could be a lot of fuel.

So it boils down to budget and a lot of what ifs and what can I live with and without.

Weather not so much on the East Coast of the US/Bahamas...the only thing really hard to predict in the course of a single day is a pop up thunderstorm that you just deal with at any speed...most fast boats if they definitely can't outrun it wind up slowing down anyhow. That's for typical coastal/ICW cruising. Even just a few knots may really help when trvelling offshore.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #32
Guru

I do now remember one time I wish I had a faster boat.

It was the middle of winter in SE Alaska and we were trying to get to Petersburg from Thorne Bay. Not really that far but we figured we could make it in two days. Wrong.

Forecast was bad for late in the day. We ran our FD Willard on stern seas starting out at 2 or 3'. Seas were building all day and when we arrived at Coffman Cove it was nearly dark and the stern seas were at least 7'. We turned and took the seas on the beam w the expected rolling and headed up the channel by nav and town lights. Was blow'in 40 as we tied up to a big aluminum fish boat as the harbor was small and full. Heavy rain and 50 knot winds all night long.

The next leg was even shorter to St John's Bay near the entrance to the so end of Wrangell Narrows leading to Petersburg. But the tide was wrong and we could see we couldn't make it to Petersburg in daylight bucking the tide in the narrows. We probably could have done it in the dark but we bailed out and went home the next day in beautiful weather.

For us the only problem that kept us from lots of winter cruising was the lack of daylight. That and a 6 knot boat. But that was the only time our 6 knot boat kept us from what we wanted to do because she only made 6 knots.

Some say they need extra power to outrun weather. That's redulous as weather moves faster than boats and having better seaworthyness is of greater bennifit.

The only real reason to have extra power is because you think you need it. And you don't. And speed is not essential either. You just don't go as far in a given amount of time. This is pleasure boating and there's no need to get to most any given place. Just go to a place closer if you lack the speed. The idea is to have fun ......... not to get to any given place.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #33

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Quote:
. . . . This is pleasure boating and there's no need to get to most any given place. Just go to a place closer if you lack the speed. The idea is to have fun ......... not to get to any given place.

Well said sir.

Sadly, we all would acknowledge that one persons fun is another's aggravation. Life's position ultimately determining at what pace we move about. At sea or on land.

Personally, I like to stop and smell the roses. Or in this case, the salt air...
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
Noobe question here. It looks like the cost of operation (Fuel) is the major deciding factor in most people's choice of hull type.
Thanks
Tom
Not for this recreational boater! Fuel is less than 20% of our annual cost, at about 5 gph. Now for those who don't pay moorage, tie up at nice marinas, buy dinner at the shore side fish house, have no insurance or do any maintenance or upgrades, fuel is a big cost.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #35
Guru

City: gulf coast
Tom:
You don't drive your carat 100 mph all the time do you? Likewise with boat speed. Use it if you want . Amazing to see people defend small engines by admitting they can't control themselves.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #36
Master and Commander

Typical day trip for us is a four-hour run, costing between $24 and $32 in fuel. At three outings a month, is much more affordable than spending $80 to $100 which would approach the cost of marina berthage.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Delaware City, DE
OK I can understand the economy of a FD hull. But is the savings that much more than running a SD hull at the same speed, say 6kts?
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #38
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
OK I can understand the economy of a FD hull. But is the savings that much more than running a SD hull at the same speed, say 6kts?
I'll try again......At any given speed, weight (displacement) and length (on the waterline) are more important to efficiency than whether you have a semi-displacement or full displacement boat. Want more speed at the same RPM? Put some stuff on the dock. If you only go out for 3 hours don't carry 400 gallons of fuel and 200 of water, get a lighter dinghy with a smaller outboard, etc.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #39
Master and Commander

Quote:
Most likely little difference, but you're possibly/likely under-loading the engine(s).
Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I love threads like this where some people tell you how to get to your goal with YOUR boat or one you would like to have

....and others tell you how mistaken you are and what you should have bought and powered with and what a boater should be thinking when boating....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote