Old 01-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Planes, Trains & Automobiles Thread Split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

I was told by one of the brokers at dealership that the stabilizers had to be on at all times when the boat was underway.

The way-heavy flying bridge house was not Grand Bank's idea. The buyer of hull #1 insisted on it, and the buyers of hulls 2 and 3 liked it so much they wanted it too. You would have thought Grand Banks would have known better, but apparently they didn't.

Only the three were made. One of them, on a GB-sponsored cruise to Alaska, tore one of the stabilizers off on a rock north of Prince Rupert and nearly sank. I saw this one in the Seaview North yard being repaired after it had limped back to Bellingham.
As you know better than most Marin... even top performing companies such as Boeing and GB can at times put out a real turd! I.e., Ford's Edsel

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
So far as I know, the Edsel was a good car from a mechanical aspect. No different than the other Ford cars of the time. But it had a horrible image, partly because of it's dorky name and largely because of its somwwhat unconventional styling. In an era where every car model looked very different than every other car model (as opposed to today when everything looks like a Honda), external styling made a huge difference. And the Edsel was just too "weird." I was a little kid when the Edsel came out and I remember thinking, just like everyone else, what an ugly car. I see one today and it's actually rather nice because it is different. I like the front end treatment.

BTW, I'm writing this as I sit in a Ford dealership waiting for my pickup to come out of a routine service. There is a 2015 Mustang on the floor here, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the first time in decades I've seen an American car with good styling. The only other time was the Studebaker Golden Hawk. A cell phone photo of the Mustang sitting next to me is below. I find all American cars to be supremely ugly and always have, even as a kid. The new Mustang is the second exception (probably because the designer "borrowed" some styling elements form Aston Martin, which until recently was owned by Ford (Ford still has a minor interest in it.)

The only turd I'm aware that Boeing has ever made was an Army ground attack plane we built in (I think) the 1920s. It was an armored biplane with a big gun on it, and besides being staggering ugly, it could barely get out of its own way it was so heavy. A total flop. We built two of them. They were conceived and designed by the US Army; Boeing simply built them (we needed the money back then). I tried to find a photo on the web but had no success. But it was an absolutley horrible airplane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	36908  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
From Studebaker until 2015? That is one long dry spell.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
From Studebaker until 2015? That is one long dry spell.
Yes it was. American cars basically suck in terms of aesthetics as far as I'm concerned. Bloated, square, and boring. Even the Corvette looks like a Tonka toy of a car.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin have you ever done bias?

Seems to me you'd pick on it handily.

PS I like most Buicks.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin have you ever done bias?
You'll have to explain your question.

PS- I just sat in the 2015 Mustang at the dealer. The interior is every bit as well designed as the exterior. Six speed manual, 5.0 litre V-8 (same engine core as in my pickup), big touch screen to control the car's functions, very, very well done. If we were in the market for a new car that wasn't an Aston Martin, this would be the one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	36913  
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
There is a 2015 Mustang on the floor here, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the first time in decades I've seen an American car with good styling.

From that angle, looks to me pretty much like a Honda, Lexus, Nissan, Hyundai, Infiniti, Audi, Chevy, Kia, Mercedes, Chrysler, BMW... etc.... of the same general class...

Boring.

Used to be one could tell the brand without having to look at the badge. Nowadays, the grill work might give it away, but otherwise the lines for 90-95% of the offerings all seem to look pretty much the same, to me.

-Chris
Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Actually it does look vaguely like my boring Honda.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1229.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	36919  
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
The only turd I'm aware that Boeing has ever made was an Army ground attack plane we built in (I think) the 1920s. It was an armored biplane with a big gun on it, and besides being staggering ugly, it could barely get out of its own way it was so heavy. A total flop. We built two of them. They were conceived and designed by the US Army; Boeing simply built them (we needed the money back then). I tried to find a photo on the web but had no success. But it was an absolutley horrible airplane.
Search google for the Boeing GA-2. It is pretty hideous. I think the best looking aircraft by Boeing was the B-47. I fly the 737 for a living, it's not awful to look at, but I've always been partial to the 777
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7992L.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	36920  
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

No, in person it doesn't look anything like a Honda, which truly does have boring styling. Normally I pay zero attention to the cars on the road these days other than not to hit them. The lines of 90 percent of what's on the road today are totally uninspired. I understand the reason for this and from the car companies' perspective it makes total sense.

The current model cars that are not uncommon where I live that immediately stand out to me even at a distance are Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, and Teslas. Everything else is a non entity. BMWS look like Toyotas look like Hondas look like Kias and so on. That's why I was so surprised that I was so impressed by the new Mustang. It's not that it's a radical new design. It's not. But whether on purpose or by accident, the designer got all the lines right (by my standards). It looks more like an Aston Martin in its roof line, for example, and this and other details immediately set it apart from all the giant yawns that are most of the other cars in this country.

Part of the problem with my photo is that it's a black car. So lines and angles that are obvious to the eye when standing by the car are totally lost in the photo. But the car grabbed my eye the moment I walked into the dealership. In fact, I thought for a moment they had an Aston Martin on the floor.

So kudos to whoever drew the lines. In my opinion, he or she has an exceptional feel for aesthetics. Too bad the Hondas and GMs and BMWs of the world don't have designers like this.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
Search google for the Boeing GA-2. It is pretty hideous. I think the best looking aircraft by Boeing was the B-47. I fly the 737 for a living, it's not awful to look at, but I've always been partial to the 777
Yes, that's it. Actually that is the most flattering photo of it I've ever seen.

The 737-800 with winglets is a very nice-looking plane, in my opinion. And the Sky Interior has totally transformed the cabin. After 36 years with Boeing it takes a lot to impress me these days. The Sky Interior is one thing that does from a passenger perspective (I know there are aspects of it that cabin crews don't like).

The 777 is the best program in Boeing's commercial airplane history to date. The program was extremely well run thanks to Alan Mulally, and the plane reflects this. I supported the program n the work that I do and got to know the people and the plane extremely well. It's the poster boy for how to run an incredibly complex project the right way.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I wondered whether there was any input to the Mustang from this part of the world. Apparently not. Both Ford and GM are closing their Australian manufacturing soon and both companies gave some of their soon to to be out of work designers a chance to do something for you guys in NA. Seems they had a bit of success.
Australian designers claim top two awards at 2015 Detroit motor show

The Buick design does nothing for me, it looks kinda like yet another Jaguar fail. The Ford GT might be OK. The real question is in the detail and build quality, both of which have some way to go from the old Ford GT.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I find the GA-2 cute.

Last year bought a 2014 Ford Edge. Looks almost like every manufacturer's recent-model, mid-sized black SUV, but that doesn't bother me. Just have to take care to avoid attempting to enter someone else's.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I find the GA-2 cute.

Last year bought a 2014 Ford Edge. Looks almost like every manufacturer's recent-model, mid-sized black SUV, but that doesn't bother me. Just have to take care to avoid attempting to enter someone else's.
It does make parking lots interesting, especially if you have a black car. SUV's once stood out but no more.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The Buick design does nothing for me, it looks kinda like yet another Jaguar fail. The Ford GT might be OK. The real question is in the detail and build quality, both of which have some way to go from the old Ford GT.
To me, the Buick is just another American yawn with four wheels. The Ford GT, which looks nothing like the original Ford GT which was a pretty cool looking racing seems to be primarily a combination of a bunch of lines and design items long since used by Ferrari and Lamborghini. But Ford does get credit here for at least not photocopying yet another Honda.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I was thinking about re naming this thread but couldn't come up with a title to describe the content. Can someone offer up some new title suggestions please?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #17
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
No, in person it doesn't look anything like a Honda, which truly does have boring styling. .
Not that I'm particularly defending my Honda, but when I saw your first profile shot of the Mustang I thought it was a Honda Coupe like mine. Wish I had a side photo to compare.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I was thinking about re naming this thread but couldn't come up with a title to describe the content. Can someone offer up some new title suggestions please?
Wifey B: Trains and Boats and Planes....don't you just hear the music playing. Oops, no trains. I've never ridden a train. Subway is all. Insert cars in lieu of trains.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I like trains too.

Looking backward while heading for the south edge of the Grand Canyon from the observation car:

Grand Canyon Route advertised in Martinez, California (the BNSF replaced this AT+SF steel girder bridge with one of concrete a couple years ago):

Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #20
keb

City: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
How about "Car Talk .... yawn"

keb is offline   Reply With Quote