Plan to move to Trawler in 10 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjorgan

Today we are enjoying the "fast lane" in an offshore fishing boat. It has a v-berth, head, galley, etc and overnights fairly comfy. Looking out we are planning on trading up to a trawler closer to retirement.

We are fortunate to currently have a home on the water, with boat lift and slip. Don't want to give up the "dirt home" but do want the luxury and challenge of long range boating, possibly doing the Loop thing.

I'm a frequent lurker on these forums, and have gleaned much knowledge while enjoying the humor and camaraderie of the group.

So if you will, share what you would do in our situation, if you had it to do over?

Welcome! Best of luck executing your plan. Why wait?

Try a one week charter. Its a few thousand dollars but it will support your dream or more important, keep you from wasting time and money pursuing a dream that is really not for you. We did 4 charters before purchasing our Monk 36: a 35 Senator 10 years prior, a 32 GB Sedan, a 36 GB Double Cabin, and a 42 GB Motoryacht. We found 36 feet just right for the two of us.

Last edited:
When you travel around check Airbnb for boats to rent. Plenty of trawlers on there to rent.

Wont give you much idea as to cruising but will give you a chance to work out what you'll need to comfortably sleep.

Welcome! Best of luck executing your plan. Why wait?

That's my biggest quandry. Right now we are into offshore fishing so our 40-knot boat is the ticket! Plus travel for works puts me far from the coast when a storm may blow through. Our boat on the lift or trailer is easier to manage (in my mind anyway.) Plus paid for! All big plusses.

As some suggested, a charter for vacation seems like the ticket to discover the best style/size for our needs.

The wife want's bigger of course (don't they all) but where we boat at home it's shallow-ish. Need a LT 4 ft draft. Thinking a single-lugger with protected wheel.

We had express cruisers for 25 years and cruised at 25-30 kts. Friends we cruised with had 45 plus foot boat that cruised a 8-9 kts so for 5 years we just slowed down and cruised with them. We got used to the slower speed and came to love it as the trip is what became important, the destination, not so much. For the last 10 years we've had a 7-8 kt boat and would not go back. We do have the ability to do 12 kts if necessary to outrun weather but that is rare.
John
2003 390 Mainship

That's my biggest quandry. Right now we are into offshore fishing so our 40-knot boat is the ticket! Plus travel for works puts me far from the coast when a storm may blow through. Our boat on the lift or trailer is easier to manage (in my mind anyway.) Plus paid for! All big plusses.

As some suggested, a charter for vacation seems like the ticket to discover the best style/size for our needs.

The wife want's bigger of course (don't they all) but where we boat at home it's shallow-ish. Need a LT 4 ft draft. Thinking a single-lugger with protected wheel.

Wifey B: Don't go too extreme. You're use to speed. Speed is fun. Be very careful going to a 6 or 8 or 10 knot boat. Definitely charter first. It's a heck of a step back. I could never do it, but perhaps you could. We chartered a 14 knot WOT, 12 knot cruise boat, a real beauty, and one week on it was my absolutely limit. I keep wanting the throttle opened up and it was already. :eek: There are steps in between in semi-displacement cruising boats. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom