Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #81
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
The OP contacted me privately through ActiveCaptain with pretty much the same allegations and examples he made here in post #1. I answered him immediately and then immediately contacted Kayley to get her opinion.

A few days later, Kayley responded to me and we exchanged a few emails about it. I felt that the similarities didn't warrant a change especially since the copyright owner made no attempt to make the claim. To be honest, it seemed on the line to me. If the owner was particularly offended by some of the location text being similar, I would have changed it.

As an aside, it might surprise some people but there are guidebook authors who have put their own text inside ActiveCaptain because they wanted the basic information available to all. They feel that if people go to the places described, they'll have a better chance of selling their product because their guidebook has some other features not provided by ActiveCaptain. Good for them for realizing the advertising potential of this.

I think the OP was possibly offended that I didn't then follow back up with him. Again, he wasn't the copyright owner and I felt the issue had been properly dealt with. And writing to him to say that nothing was going to change would likely inflate the issue to him. I decided there was a 95% chance he'd be unhappy if I responded and a 30% chance he would be unhappy if I didn't respond. I lost that bet although it would have been a little more mature to write me instead of making a public blast (IMO).

Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...I question whether Kayley is an actual person. Jeff or Kayley, please prove me wrong! If I am wrong, I apologize, and will request this thread be removed.
Kayley is definitely a real person. We're not in the business of creating fake entities to somehow insert data.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #83
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
So let's stop pretending any of these parties are some innocent victims of unfair attacks. If that's the case I'm the Easter bunny. Make no mistake, this is exactly how all 3 of them conduct business.
What type of cryptic nonsense is this? We conduct our business professionally. A lot of our competitors attribute behavior to me that's not true. Be serious - if what I said wasn't dead on honest every time, why would Garmin, Furuno, Navico, C-Map, and fifty other companies base a major capability on my company of two people?

If you've got something to say, say it. Otherwise, go back to eating your carrots.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Considering the rancor on this open thread and the insults unfairly tossed one can only imagine how productive it would be to contact via AC.

Complete transparency: I've dealt with all these parties from the other side of the screen in the past, you haven't. So let's stop pretending any of these parties are some innocent victims of unfair attacks. If that's the case I'm the Easter bunny. Make no mistake, this is exactly how all 3 of them conduct business.
Don't assume, I've dealt with some of them as well and made my opinions of some of their comments and posts abundantly clear to them, in private. I pointed out very early in this thread my dislike for Jeffrey's defense of AC. He becomes very defensive and goes too far and only hurts rather than helping himself and AC. If I based my decision to use or not use AC based on his public posts, I would not use it. However, I use it because I like the product.

Had Jeffrey simply answered in his first post more professionally as I put in one paragraph later, it would have done much to diffuse this. He does bring a lot of this on himself.

Regardless, I don't like seeing TF as the right place for them to fight out their business differences or express their antagonism toward each other. Ultimately all involved make themselves look bad.

And, seeing how they conduct business, I would use their products but never do business beyond that with any of them.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #85
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
What type of cryptic nonsense is this? We conduct our business professionally. A lot of our competitors attribute behavior to me that's not true. Be serious - if what I said wasn't dead on honest every time, why would Garmin, Furuno, Navico, C-Map, and fifty other companies base a major capability on my company of two people?

If you've got something to say, say it. Otherwise, go back to eating your carrots.
Jeffrey. It's simply him stating that your conduct and way of responding to criticism is very unprofessional. It's nothing I haven't said to you before in private. But you want to bring it public, so be it. Who the heck cares to hear your constant self promotion. Perhaps if occasionally you showed a little humility, you would have fewer conflicts.

You say competitors attribute behavior to you that's not true, but what about your behavior on this forum while attempting to represent AC? We see that.

Then it's time for you to say again you don't know why you even come here. We all do. It's to promote your business.

I defend your product. I defend you when I think you're right. However, I think your way of responding to criticism is unprofessional. Now, you can say I'm unprofessional, but one huge difference, I'm not here representing a business.

Is that less cryptic?
Old 08-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #86
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
OK folks, recess is over. Time to leave the school yard and get back to boating class.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #87
TF Site Team

City: Inland NW
Vessel Name: Pacifica
Vessel Model: Cape Dory
Folks we are closing this thread for a time to let the waters calm. Just a reminder that any time you have an intellectual property rights concern about web content AND you are the owner of the original content you can file a legitimate DMCA complaint with either the url owner or with their hosting company. Hosting companies and ISPs have some skin in the game as they are also subject to the same penalties as url owners and often will remove contested content as a matter of course if the site in question doesn't. That said, you must affirm in your complaint that you are the owner of rightful owner of the content and there are penalties for false claims.

You can read more about DMCA here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita..._Copyright_Act
and here: https://www.eff.org/issues/dmca
and here: http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Thanks for understanding.

Closed Thread