Pining for warmer weather...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, it beats mud and bug weather.

I do like extremes in my weather. Pouring rain, hurricane force winds, super cold, and viscous electrical storms. Except for heat. Don't like hot. You can always put more on when it's cold, but once you're nekkid, you're still hot, and your not allowed in public anymore.

If it weren't for the fact that your boating season is way too short, I'd consider living up there for both days of your summer. :rofl:

Ted

image.jpg

image.jpegWinter! Come on guys it only last four months.

If it weren't for the fact that your boating season is way too short, I'd consider living up there for both days of your summer. :rofl:

Ted

My boating season is pretty much year round. I commute ~1,000 miles to work in a place no one chooses to live, including me.

Last edited:

Ted

Ted, please.

In Vancouver, I have seen ice on the water in Coal Harbour twice in the past 40 odd years. Even then, you could go out with a FG boat, or a wooden boat that has gumwood around the waterline, as the ice was thin.
Until we bought our Saltspring home, we would boat 12 months a year. Equipping the boat with a diesel stove allowed us to heat it properly at all times, so our season was limitless.
I admit to aging, so now we spend the colder months in Indio Ca, where it rarely gets cold enough to hurt the petunias.

In the summer, we boat without turning on the diesel stove, from mid May to mid September. That summer is more than what Murray sees in Kitimat, but even there, he will see at least a 10 week summer, not just a few days.

Last edited:
In much of the year (we can boat year-'round) , we operate with one pilothouse door open. If that's too cool, we close the door. Can't understand how people here run their boats from an open flybridge even half of the year.

Last edited:
Where I live is whacked. We've had snow in the fields around town for six months straight, I've seen slugs and mushrooms in January, and sometimes the maples go orange in July. There is no normal.

Agree there is no such thing as boating season...used to sea kayak in winter, so taking Badger for a spin on calm winter days is a blast. (Won't go overnight in winter until anchor system gets upgraded to storm worthy proportions).

Now gusting 43 knots and -11C (12F).

Last edited:
Flew out to the farm Brewarrina, NSW ( 39,914.87 acres :) ) on the weekend. The aircon is struggling at 25c inside and it 47c under the veranda in the shade we expect it to be 40c all night and remain the same till Wednesday when it heats up :D

NSW20Map.jpg

Last edited:
If you have to wear shoes to handle anchoring duties it ain't boating season.
If you can't dangle your bare feet in the water while sitting on the swim platform, it ain't boating season.
If you don't see women in bikinis sunbathing, it ain't boating season.

Ted

...and it can snap right off if you rub it too hard :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wifey B: Best to find somewhere warm to keep it. :angel:

And it was horribly cold here today, didn't even reach 70 degrees. Unacceptable and another day of winter tomorrow under 70. Enough already. Only snow here can get you arrested.

Had a comfortable night @ 34c at 2 am/6am :D now 10:30am and it just hit 40c so looking forward to a nice dry day sitting in the creek with the dog cattle pigs and any other living thing that want to share the cool .

PS I dont like snow :D

Had a comfortable night @ 34c at 2 am/6am :D now 10:30am and it just hit 40c so looking forward to a nice dry day sitting in the creek with the dog cattle pigs and any other living thing that want to share the cool .

PS I dont like snow :D

Wifey B: But it's summer for you because you're upside down. :rofl:

How northern hemispheric of you...we're all right side up!

:rofl:

Wifey B: Well, I'm southern northern so not far to go to stand on my head. :rolleyes:

Hubby's been to Sydney once on business and speaks very highly of it. I'm sure one day we'll get there and do some boating in your area. If I was picking somewhere to move, Australia would be among the top choices.:)

If you have to wear shoes to handle anchoring duties it ain't boating season.
If you can't dangle your bare feet in the water while sitting on the swim platform, it ain't boating season.
If you don't see women in bikinis sunbathing, it ain't boating season.

Ted
What if the shoes are because the decks are too hot to walk on barefoot? Sure conducive to dangling feet in the water(watch for sharks). And near nudity.

-16C (3F) and gusting 33 knots.

Lots of long cold snaps with strong northerly outflow winds in Kitimat this year...

-16C (3F) and gusting 33 knots.

Lots of long cold snaps with strong northerly outflow winds in Kitimat this year...

Wifey B: Back to 73 degrees here. Things are good again. Below 70 was horrible. :)

Now problem is 5 to 7 foot seas with occasional 9 foot at 6 seconds. :eek:

Ice

This is what it is like to work on a Great Lakes bulker prior to the close of the shipping season.

Attachments

• IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 63
  • pi ice 033.jpg
    pi ice 033.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 67
This is the time of year when San Diego fills up with Canucks and plains states Americans, escapin' freezin' temps. In July, August and September, we get the Zonas, tryin' to escape three digit temps. Left New York City 48 years ago to live in a warmer climate and never regretted it.

In much of the year (we can boat year-'round) , we operate with one pilothouse door open. If that's too cool, we close the door. Can't understand how people here run their boats from an open flybridge even half of the year.

Mark, you really need to get some help with your fly bridge aversion issue. Wonder if there is a 12 step program for that? :whistling:

Having a beer on the veranda and a chook fell out of the tree dead that's a bloody good sign its over 47c :D

Mark, you really need to get some help with your fly bridge aversion issue. Wonder if there is a 12 step program for that? :whistling:

A fifteen-minute sit on top of the pilothouse cures me from wanting a flybridge.

A fifteen-minute sit on top of the pilothouse cures me from wanting a flybridge.

Wifey B:

When I come home feelin' tired and beat
I go up where the air is fresh and sweet (up on the roof)
I get away from the hustling crowd
And all that rat-race noise down in the street (up on the roof)
On the roof, the only place I know
Where you just have to wish to make it so
Let's go up on the roof (up on the roof)

At night the stars put on a show for free
And, darling, you can share it all with me

Having a beer on the veranda and a chook fell out of the tree dead that's a bloody good sign its over 47c :D
It hit 41C in our part of Sydney, before a typical hot day southerly front(aka a southerly buster) swept up the coast, dropping temperatures and causing different havoc at the tennis.
You won`t let a pre cooked chicken go to waste? Not a day for firing up the oven.

Dear God! If that was representative of sitting in the flybridge nobody would have one! No wonder you don't want one...
Bruce

Dear God! If that was representative of sitting in the flybridge nobody would have one! No wonder you don't want one...
Bruce
It`s not helping the view from the helm either.

Ran my boat from up there for about 30 minutes with the autopilot remote control. The novelty faded very quickly. Like my pilothouse much better.

10652.jpeg

Pic courtesy of Magic.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom