Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Ping Mr Rt Firefly or others

I did not want to hijack an earlier thread but you mentioned this boat and I was surprised to see it because I had earlier noted it on Yachtworld which i check regularly

1980 Cheoy Lee 46 LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

As am considering such an upgrade, I thought it was extraordinarily cheap. I also saw a recently listed Seamaster 48 at around the same price. There were two Seamasters in the last few weeks and I had never heard of them before. here is the particular one

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&se archtype=advancedsearch&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=&is=false& man=seamaster&hmid=102&ftid=101&enid=0&fromLength= 40&toLength=50&luom=126&fromYear=&toYear=&fromPric e=31000&toPrice=110000&currencyid=100&city=&cint=1 00&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

Although I have not gone to see either one of these, I am suspicious that either the pictures are very old or I am missing something significant.

Aside from the seller and broker outright lying, which would show on site, at this stage, with my current buying knowledge I should not be missing the obvious even on the pictures. They both need some work but not to the degree of the discounting.

What do you see that I don't ?
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. byu (Robert's your avuncular relative).
As far as I am aware there were only 5 CL (Cheoy Lee) Seamasters made. VERY rare. The 1980 CL you posted looks rough but for 79K....Who knows?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

nice to know

Thanks for the info. So I believe you are saying CL actually made the Seamaster. Now I know why I could not find much on them and why I liked the look of them.
Still kind of curious why so low priced. (at least in my perception) CL is considered a pretty good maker. The hull and design should be decent enough. Maybe the fact that they only made a few should tell me something.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I know the guy who owns this boat and I have been on it. The owner resurrected from the hard a few years ago. He dropped some serious boat credits into it. I think most issues are cosmetic.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Enigma

Greetings,
Possibly a bit of a misunderstanding here. CL did make a model CALLED the Seamaster. None of the boats you posted are CL Seamasters. The $75K one is a 46' LRC and I have no idea why so cheap...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

now I am stumped again

So what is this then?

1986 Seamaster 48 Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
The second link did not work for me. I don't know if you are getting Seamasters mixed up with the CHB Seamasters. But CHB(Chung Hwa Boatworks) did make some sundeck models called Seamasters. CHB also made Presents and a bunch of other brands.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. byu.
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html
Do a search on "We finally made it". It's a CHB as Mr. B suggests.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #9

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Byu,
Link doesn't work.
Try copying the the link in Yachtworld again from the boats details page, not the search results, and re-post it.
The first boat does look, as RTF say's "rough", I like to go straight to pics of the engine, that gives me a good idea of how well the boats been cared for, I'm suspect if there aren't any!!. there's plenty of work to do on the fly bridge!.
Robbie.

"Fanny'syiraunt".
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
You guys, Bob will have problems posting links until he makes his 10 post threshold. The forum's software protocols automatically intercept posts of new members with hyperlinks and requires moderator approval before displaying. What this means, one of us needs to be logged in and actually notice his post is standing by in the que, verify the link and approve it.

This causes an at times frustrating delay for new members but is invaluable in our ongoing battle against spam. The restriction lifts automatically after the 10th post. I was unable to repair the 2nd link in his original post so left it broken as to preserve the continuity of his post without editing it.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
Ongoing battle eh?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

So the Seamaster is a CHB. That was a very prolific yard but mostly I think for 40-46 foot boats I have been following listings for Present, Labelle, Jefferson, Tradewinds, CHB, Ka Shing, Ponderosa (wrong coast) etc. - all sundeck models of 40 to 44 It looks like I could get something workable for inland waters around or less than $75,000 I am trying to get my knowledge base up to pull the trigger to 6 footitis in less than 12 months but this summer I will be quite happy with my 38
Well I didn't really need to say all that but I have to get busy and get to 10 posts
Old 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ongoing battle eh?

Love MP! And forum spam is just that relentless, hence the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Here
For the OP's info - Chung Hwa and a whole bunch of other Taiwan yards had a number of hull molds which were traded back and forth between yards. Some yards built to order and had their own brands. SOme one like Marine Trader from NJ would go to a yard and say build 25 of those and call it a "Marine Trader" then some one else would show up and say ... I like that, build be five of those and call it a Cape Flattery. A boat dealer in Toronto years ago bought a few different models from different yards and called them "Regency".

Guys like Marine Trader in NJ had a lot of control over what was built because they sold so many but there are dozens of lesser known brands out there that are essentially the same boat and they each may or may not have been built in the same yard.

They are generically known as TT's (Taiwan Tubs). Some of these boats were quite well built and I think TT's get generally unfair press. If you are buying a "Marine Trader" they will be pretty consistent (good and bad) but many of the others are a bit of a crap shoot and you won't know whats in there until you get the floor boards up.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Enigma

Greetings,
Cheoy Lee was made in Hong Kong. Not much similarity to any TT.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Guru

I don't see a whole lot of difference between Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore boats except for the very biggest brands where the American or Dutch overseers had much more control. According to the PRC, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore are all part of China.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

So I will watch for a nice Taiwan Tub - if the mechanicals work and the core isn't full of moisture I can give it a quiet non challenging retirement in inland waters
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
Enigma

Greetings,
Singapore claimed by PRC?? Regardless, OP was asking about CL's. As with ANY boat built ANYWHERE condition, maintenance and repair history is most important and will determine price but some "brands" start out with better "bones" CL being one IMO having been in business since 1870.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Singapore claimed by PRC?? Regardless, OP was asking about CL's. As with ANY boat built ANYWHERE condition, maintenance and repair history is most important and will determine price but some "brands" start out with better "bones" CL being one IMO having been in business since 1870.
1870 - When pleasure boat hulls were chiseled out of tree trunk?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Guru

polyester trees ?