Old 12-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Pilothouse Trawlers

Need some suggestions for boats to look for.

Ok, so I'm looking for a sedan or a pilothouse trawler. My budgets is <$150,000; need to be able to cruise solo; and think I want to be between 34' and 45'. Seen lots of sedans that are doable, but still looking.

Then I started looking hard at the 42' Krogens. Really like them, but the 2 that I have seen in (near) my price range have been project boats (bottom jobs or exterior cosmetic nightmares). Like the pictures that I have seen of the Willards, but I'm on the wrong coast for the few in my size range. Saw a Transpac Eagle 32 that I liked but am afraid it's to small. Really liked it's big brother (Eagle 40), but there out of my price range.

So, what pilothouse trawlers am I missing? Would like to be around 40', fiberglass, preferably single screw, and hopefully minimal exterior wood.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Pilothouse Trawlers

So where are you located and what kind of cruising water?* Do you need a blue water boat?* What kind of bottom and/or exterior nightmares do they have?* I would be concerned about there condition of the engines/running gear/hull and superstructure as the rest is surface/cosmetic stuff.

When my wife bought the Eagle I was hoping it had some major issues as it was ulgy/shippy/commercial/not pretty*but the engine/running gear/supper structure were good/sound with a few areas that we fix over time.*

Under 45 ft you can have trucked so you are not limited*to area.*****

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

The wider your geographic location, the more choices you will have. Your profile indicates you can "look" at the entire East coast and Texas too. I'd betcha you'd*have over one thousand good boats to choose from. So buy a spare pair of shoes, and start walking the docks and talk to the brokers.

You will hear all sorts of name brands to consider, but on a vessel more than 20 years old condition is the number one factor. Look at vessels approaching $250K. You may well negotiate down by 30% to your $150 K range. Make up a spread sheet for ranking the vessels.

You may well consider an aft cabin model too, this opens up some more choices such as Ocean Alexander, Monk 36 and DeFever. Any vessel with covered side decks is good, less chance of rain intrusion into windows. Carefully consider teak decks - they can leak leading to all sorts of smell and other more serious issues.

Avoid boats with Detroit Diesels, one that has been sunk, cored bottoms, major interior water stains, rusty fuel tanks, fouled bottom, bent props, worn out zincs, dirty engine room,* major oil drips,*non working AC and*too many non working instruments.
You said you're not interested in a project boat* - dont' waste your time on guys who say " it needs a few things." Few becomes*many.*

This could prove to be your most educational trip - enjoy it.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

I'll throw out a few just to get this thread moving.

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private...g_id=1765&url=
<a href="http://grayandgrayyachts.com/privatelabel/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=pp217712&boat_id=2288 052&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&lis ting_id=16264&url=">
http://grayandgrayyachts.com/privatelabel/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=pp217712&boat_id=2288 052&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&lis ting_id=16264&url=</a>

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private...slim=pp217712&

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private...g_id=3024&url=

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private..._id=62789&url=

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private...slim=pp217712&
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #5

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
Pilothouse Trawlers

if i was in the market and that was my price rang id be all over this boat......

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private..._id=16264&url=

-- Edited by albin43 on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 10:59:16 AM
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I don't know.
* Teak decks and there is a lot of wood to work on.

Looks good otherwise.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Guru

Pilothouse Trawlers

Ok, some more information:

I'm in Maryland and Florida, was looking at the whole East coast including the Gulf. Was assuming (maybe wrong) that the cost if even doable to truck a 13'+ beam trawler across the USA would be a deal breaker. Have been looking online for several years and was leaning toward a sedan trawler (covered side decks) to have back and side decks while reducing issues with window leaks. My strengths mechanical, electrical, and plumbing. Fiberglass repair, painting, and external wood repair / refinishing I will have to pay someone else to do. Know it sounds hard to believe, but I would rather do a repower (have done 2) than deal with leaking teak decks or windows.

Have looked at 2 KK42s and talked to several owners. It seems that the early / to mid '80s models have a significant likely hood of needing there hulls peeled and reglassed. Know of 4 that have been done so far. Worried about the teak decks. Saw 2 online that had the teak pulled and decks glassed. So I'm leary on the KK42s that I can afford. As said before, I'd rather repower it than try to do the glass work myself.

My cruising will likely be Coastal, ICW, maybe the great loop, and gunk holing SW FL & the Keys.

Any recommendations for good online sites that cater to "for sale by owner"? Have spent a great deal of time on sites like Yacht world, but know they only deal with brokerage boats.

Thanks

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 12:16:12 PM
Old 12-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
albin43 wrote:

if i was in the market and that was my price rang id be all over this boat......

http://grayandgrayyachts.com/private..._id=16264&url=

-- Edited by albin43 on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 10:59:16 AM
I went and looked at that boat. Needs a lot of external repair / refinishing / repainting. The underside of the side deck roofs is rotting, inside window leak damage under the galley porthole, and that's just what I saw (not a surveyor). The PO installed $40,000 worth of Niad stabilizers a few years ago. He sees the mechanical (which is in very good shape), but not the external condition.

Ted
Old 12-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Ted,
TF member Daddyo has his very nice looking Marine Trader 38 trawler sedan for sale....there is a link to it in the for sale section. Looks nice in the pictures!

Have you looked at the Lord Nelson 37 tugs? There is one in NC for only $99k.

When you say pilothouse style...do you only want a pilothouse style boat or will any sedan type trawler work as long as it has a lower helm and door adjacent to the helm? If it doesn't have to be a pilothouse, you have a lot of options....Mainship 390/40 is a good buy as well but I am sure you have looked at those already.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Ted,
TF member Daddyo has his very nice looking Marine Trader 38 trawler sedan for sale....there is a link to it in the for sale section. Looks nice in the pictures!

Have you looked at the Lord Nelson 37 tugs? There is one in NC for only $99k.

When you say pilothouse style...do you only want a pilothouse style boat or will any sedan type trawler work as long as it has a lower helm and door adjacent to the helm? If it doesn't have to be a pilothouse, you have a lot of options....Mainship 390/40 is a good buy as well but I am sure you have looked at those already.
Yes, saw Daddyo's 36. Very nice looking boat. Hoping to find something a little bigger without teak decks. Wish I had a covered slip; would worry less about external wood work.

Saw that Lord Nelson 37 tug. Looks nice. More teak decks and external wood refinishing.

I was interested in more boats where there is a raised pilothouse such as the Krogen 42, Transpac Eagle 40, Lord Nelson 37 tug, etc. If I end up going with a Sedan trawler (covered side decks), I have a list of those that will work. I like the idea of the raised pilothouse trawler. As there seem to be less models of them and fewer numbers of each model, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any models.

Ted

Old 12-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -
Pilothouse Trawlers

Krogen, Eaagle 40, DeFever, Lord Nelson Victory Tug, Nordic Tug, American Tug, Fleming, American Marine Alaskan (wood), Tollycraft, Pacific Trawler all made/make pilothouse models.

The Eagle 40 is a particularly interesting boat but I don't know how common they are on the east coast. I've seen a fair number of them out here.* I've never been on one but we've talked to a couple of owners who we met in Nanaimo on a cruise--- from the dock their boats looked very well laid out and both owners were extremely happy with them.

Pacific Trawler is also an interesting boat. They were made (second run) in Washington State. Like the Eagle 40, I don't know anything about their construction or quality.

First shot is an Eagle 40, second shot is a 40' Pacific Trawler.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:02:56 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pacific trawler.jpg
Views:	2209
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	3931   Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle 40.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	3932  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Pilothouse Trawlers

Ted,

There is an Eighties model 43'**Hatteras LRC that has 2 -*DD's in it.* The boat seems to be in good shape and it is at Northwest Creek Marina in Fairfield Harbor a subdivision of New Bern NC.* It has had very little use in the past two years.

252-638-4133* is the number at the marina.* They can give you the owners name or at least have him call you. I don't think it is listed at this time.* The boat has been for sale for at least two years.* It started off way over priced but the last I talked to the owner (who is in poor health) he said he is ready to make it go away.* I'm thinking*upper $90's to*low $100's.

Teak hand rails but no teak decks.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:06:22 PM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Krogen, Eaagle 40, DeFever, Lord Nelson Victory Tug, Nordic Tug, American Tug, Fleming, American Marine Alaskan (wood), Tollycraft, Pacific Trawler all made/make pilothouse models.

The Eagle 40 is a particularly interesting boat but I don't know how common they are on the east coast. I've seen a fair number of them out here. I've never been on one but we've talked to a couple of owners who we met in Nanaimo on a cruise--- from the dock their boats looked very well laid out and both owners were extremely happy with them.

Pacific Trawler is also an interesting boat. They were made (second run) in Washington State. Like the Eagle 40, I don't know anything about their construction or quality.

First shot is an Eagle 40, second shot is a 40' Pacific Trawler.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:02:56 PM
Thanks for the info! Pacific trawler looks really nice, but I need side decks (not as nimble as I use to be). Like the look of the tugs, but really want full displacement hull (other than Lord Nelson) and fuel economy. Flemming, Defever, and Tollycraft pilothouse models are likely bigger than I want to handle solo.

Thanks!

Ted

Old 12-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Pilothouse Trawlers

Ted, have you looked at the Duffy/Campbell 35'-37'.* Downeast lobster boat hull with a sedan style cabin.* Good, solid boat.* Not necessarily full displacement hull, but it would have some flexibility on speed.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:26:27 PM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:

Ted,

There is an Eighties model 43' Hatteras LRC that has 2 - DD's in it. The boat seems to be in good shape and it is at Northwest Creek Marina in Fairfield Harbor a subdivision of New Bern NC. It has had very little use in the past two years.

252-638-4133 is the number at the marina. They can give you the owners name or at least have him call you. I don't think it is listed at this time. The boat has been for sale for at least two years. It started off way over priced but the last I talked to the owner (who is in poor health) he said he is ready to make it go away. I'm thinking upper $90's to low $100's.

Teak hand rails but no teak decks.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 02:06:22 PM
Thanks JD! Looked at the Hatteras LRC 42. With the twin DD they are very thirsty. Manufacturer claims best efficiency of 1.3 MPG at 7 knotts. Hoping to cover lots of miles in the next 10 years, so fuel efficiency is important.

Thanks!

Ted

Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -
Pilothouse Trawlers

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:Like the look of the tugs, but really want full displacement hull (other than Lord Nelson) and fuel economy. Flemming, Defever, and Tollycraft pilothouse models are likely bigger than I want to handle solo.
From what I've gathered from the couple of people we know who have them, while the "fast tugs,"* Nordic and American, can go relatively fast, they can also be cruised slowly very efficiently.* So I wouldn't necessarily rule them out as being less efficient than you want just because they have semi-planing hulls and can run at 12-15 knots or whatever.

You're correct, the De Fever and Flemming pilothouse boats are pretty big--- the smallest Fleming I think is 55.' * The nicest De Fever design I have seen is the 46 footer (IIRC)** It's actually the original design that was used by American Marine in their wooden Alaskan series which in tern became the design foundation for Tony Fleming's boats.* (Fleming worked for American Marine before starting his own company.) But particularly in the case of the Fleming, these boats tend to be way expensive.

At the risk of raising a furor, a boat at least worth looking at if you're after a raised pilothouse are some of the Bayliner models.* While their low-end runabouts and small cruisers were responsible for giving Bayliner it's "cheap" reputation, their larger boats, particularly the various "Motoryachts," were reputedly well-designed and well-made.* But because there are so many of them, they can often be had for pretty reasonable prices.* They made several models in the upper 30-foot through mid 40-foot range that are very popular up here, and probably represent the single largest contingent of cruising power boats that actually get used--- we see them everywhere, year round.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:58:34 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Ted, have you looked at the Duffy/Campbell 35'-37'. Downeast lobster boat hull with a sedan style cabin. Good, solid boat. Not necessarily full displacement hull, but it would have some flexibility on speed.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:26:27 PM
Moonstruck, as you can tell from my avatar (35 Bruno & Stillman hull), I'm partial to Downeasters. Duffy and Campbells are very nice and there is a lot to be said for being able to cover 150 miles a day. While needs may change, I would like to be able to carry food and water for 7 to 10 days. Thinking I might want to run over to the Bahamas or the dry Tortugas. Thought about buying a 42 Bruno & Stillman and converting it into a 12-14 knott sedan. Then I remembered what my new cabin cost to build and gave up that idea.

Ted

Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

At the risk of raising a furor, a boat at least worth looking at if you're after a raised pilothouse are some of the Bayliner models. While their low-end runabouts and small cruisers were responsible for giving Bayliner it's "cheap" reputation, their larger boats, particularly the various "Motoryachts," were reputedly well-designed and well-made. But because there are so many of them, they can often be had for pretty reasonable prices. They made several models in the upper 30-foot through mid 40-foot range that are very popular up here, and probably represent the single largest contingent of cruising power boats that actually get used--- we see them everywhere, year round.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 28th of December 2010 03:58:34 PM
Marin, it takes a brave man to recommend a Bayliner in a trawler crowd.

You don't ever want to have a window issue with one of these wrap around style window cabins. Kind of like working on the ground floor of a house of cards. There is a lot to be said for individual windows where the window frames aren't structural to the front of your cabin.

Ted

Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

Marin, it takes a brave man to recommend a Bayliner in a trawler crowd.

We just bought a 30 year old 43 Defever so the search is fresh in my mind.* Along the way Peter Leech who used to be a partner in Grand Yachts in Coal Harbour recommended that we buy a Bayliner.* Having called their runabouts Baylurkers all my life we couldn't get our heads around the idea and frankly never took him seriously but he was dead serious.* His logic was good too and may be particularly applicable to the OP's budget.* In the mid 100k range he could move into a very current model boat and there is no doubt that the suite of features on a large run production boat like a Baylurker is impressive.* With so many of them out there the problems on a particular model are likely well known and there may be workarounds or solutions.* We couldn't bring ourselves to buy one but that doesn't make them wrong for everybody.

bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:
Thanks JD! Looked at the Hatteras LRC 42. With the twin DD they are very thirsty. Manufacturer claims best efficiency of 1.3 MPG at 7 knotts. Hoping to cover lots of miles in the next 10 years, so fuel efficiency is important.

Thanks!

Ted

*_________________________________________________ _________

Ted,

I thought you said re power would not be a problem..* Those Hats with new engines might be cool.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote