El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Pilothouse Trawlers

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

*Do you know it's a trawler and not a seiner?*
Nope, don't know.* I did hear the guys on the dock use the word trawler a lot, but maybe not referring to this boat.* Other than the rigging, what structural differences are there between the two (trawlers and seiners)?*** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 2nd of January 2011 12:38:14 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 2nd of January 2011 12:38:50 PM

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 3rd of January 2011 12:09:07 AM

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #102
Scraping Paint

City: -
Pilothouse Trawlers

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

KJ,
At first I was going to say*** nawwww that's a siener but I don't see a power block on the boom
A lot of boats these days are combination boats.* They can be rigged with a powerblock and net boat for seining, rigged with a gill net for gillnetting,*stacked with crab pots for crabbing, and operate longline rigs for tuna, halibut, etc.* By being able to rig the boat for a number of different types of fishing, the same boat can be used in different fisheries year-round.

Trawling is a very specialized form of net fishing. The typical*trawl net is like a long bag of net, the mouth of which*is held open by "doors" or "otters" at each side.* The net is dragged along the bottom and chains in front of the net stir up the bottom which causes the the fish, shrimp, etc. to rise up off the bottom at which point*they then picked up by the net.* The "doors" are very large and when the net is not deployed they generally sit in mounts on each side of the stern.

There are also boats known as "beam trawlers" which deploy nets rigged to booms ut 90 degrees from one or both*sides of the boat.* Same deal in principle as the otter trawl-- the net is dragged along the bottom to scoop up whatever fish they are fishing for.

So far as I know, trawling is not a fishing method used in SE Alaska.* It is very common in bodies of water like the North Sea, Irish Sea, etc. where the bottom is pretty flat and unobstructed.

The photo is of a trawler after its net has been recovered.* Note the two large otter doors that have been*hung on either side of the transom.* The drawing is a simplified illustration of an otter trawl at work.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 06:28:28 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trawling.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	4042   Click image for larger version

Name:	trawler.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	4043  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #103
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
RE: Pilothouse Trawlers

I know I am late to the game and a newbie, but no one even mentioned the Pilgrim 40 a pilothouse, covered deck, single screw, bow thruster, displacement hull. no plywood in the walls under the windows to rot, and only a little teak deck (stern only).* Are we to few to mention?
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #104
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Alfton wrote:

I know I am late to the game and a newbie, but no one even mentioned the Pilgrim 40 a pilothouse, covered deck, single screw, bow thruster, displacement hull. no plywood in the walls under the windows to rot, and only a little teak deck (stern only).* Are we to few to mention?
Absolutely not!!! *The Pilgrim 40 is a fine vessel indeed. *I would love to have one!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #105
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

I've seen a couple Pilgrims also, lovely looking boats and the owners kept them up very well.
I think though that there are not many around, at least in my neck of the woods, B.C.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #106
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

The Pilgrims look like smaller versions of commercial party boats in the San Francisco Bay.* I proposed to my second wife on such a (Hornblower) boat.

Pilgrims look like "good times."
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #107
FF
Guru

I've seen a couple Pilgrims also, lovely looking boats

Good for lakes and rivers , could you imagine a rough inlet in one?
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #108
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
FF wrote:

I've seen a couple Pilgrims also, lovely looking boats

Good for lakes and rivers , could you imagine a rough inlet in one?
Agreed, that Pilgrim doesn't look like it could readily handle serious seas.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #109
Boat Bum

I would agree the Pilgrims were not designed as a bluewater boat for sure, but OC Diver is talking east coast, Florida, The Great Loop, and possibly the Bahamas. Just right boat for that territory.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #110
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
Alfton wrote:

I would agree the Pilgrims were not designed as a bluewater boat for sure, but OC Diver is talking east coast, Florida, The Great Loop, and possibly the Bahamas. Just right boat for that territory.
Liked the look of the ones I saw on Yacht World, but thought a Bahamas crossing or cruising along the Gulf of Mexico would require pristine weather days.

Ted

O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #111
Boat Bum

Yahoo has a Pilgrim 40 group.* One of the Pilgrims lists 14 crossings to the Bahamas.* He did not list his weather conditions.* Pilgrim 40 would be just right in the shallow and sheltered waters of the Sea of Abaco.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #112
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

I don't think they were ever advertised as heavy water boats but more as a near liveaboard, protected water cruising vessel.

The last one I saw, was in Lagoon Cove, B.C., near the Broughtons and they were from the Seattle area.

So like all (most) of us, watch the weather and be prepared to wait for good conditions. With that in mind many boats make decent cruisers and can take us many places.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #113
TF Site Team

THe Pilgrim is no more or less capable than most of the boats on this site. It is a coastal cruiser Just like GB...a CHB...a President...a Present...a Mainship....etc. It would do just fine for the applications already stated. Very fine boats.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #114
FF
Guru

but thought a Bahamas crossing or cruising along the Gulf of Mexico would require pristine weather days.

The delightful low freeboard would cause am owner to be really carefull in looking for a weather window crossing the Gulf Stream.

35K from the North makes 15 ft square waves , something a 20 ft cruising sail boat will survive , but might be DEATH in a Pilgrim.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #115
TF Site Team

I know **** can happen but I am pretty sure I would avoid a Gulfstream crossing in ANY boat when the wind is out of the North at 35kts!!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #116
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Pilothouse Trawlers

Quote:
Baker wrote:

I know **** can happen but I am pretty sure I would avoid a Gulfstream crossing in ANY boat when the wind is out of the North at 35kts!!!!
Don't do it in those conditions.* Our last crossing of the Gulf Stream was in East winds of 15-20 knots.* 5' head seas.* Slowed us to 14.5 knots, but doable.* Any wind over 5-10 knots out of the northerly half of the compass is a don't go situation* I leave a few days in the schedule for a crossing weather wait.* With good weather we can be on the Little Bahama Bank in 2 hours.* I don't tarry out there.

Where the stream meets the banks is one of the prettiest sights that you will ever see.* The Cobalt Blue waters of the stream mixing with the aqua marine colors of the banks makes colors that are just spectacular.* Over a sandy bottom with the sun directly (sorry Marin I used to like that) down makes very vivid colors.* I have about changed my mind about leaving

the following is a picture of where the banks meet the stream in about 2,000' of water.* These colors are not as vivid, but if you look closely you might see the mixing of colors.* Those are not shadows in the water.* We were making about 25 knots.

*The following is a picture of our anchorage at Great Sale Cay on the banks.

Well, that does it!* I'm staying.

To get back on subject, a Pilgrim could do it easily.* Wait for a good weather window, leave from Palm Beach or one of the good inlets, and start early in the day (probably before daylight).* In a slow boat it is best to start south of your destination to get a little * kick out of the 2 1/2 knot or so current.* At 7 knots it is probably about a 7-8 hour trip to West End.* I would want to be there prior to 3pm.* Thunderstorms can build in the afternoon turning the stream into a boiling cauldron.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 9th of January 2011 10:01:39 AM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 9th of January 2011 02:49:39 PM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #117
KJ
El Capitan

Pilothouse Trawlers

What route do you take when you go to Cay Sal* Bank?*Where*do you check in with Bahamian Customs?**Do you do any diving there?

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 04:09:17 PM
Old 01-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #118
Guru

Quote:
KJ wrote:

What route do you take when you go to Cay Sal* Bank?*Where*do you check in with Bahamian Customs?**Do you do any diving there?

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 04:09:17 PM
This trip we took my favorite route.* St. Lucie Inlet to the Little Bahama Bank just south of White Sand Ridge.* Then across the Bank to Great Sale Cay..* Nothing there but beautiful water and shelter from north or east wind.

Next day it was on to Green Turtle Cay and check in.* We actually cleared customs at Treasure Cay airport the next day.* You can also stop in at Spanish Cay to clear on the way.**

Our boats speed*enables us to make Green Turtle in one day, but I like to drop the hook about 2:00pm, swim, do a little dinghy exploring, and grill for dinner.* Life is very good in the Bahamas.

I am not a diver, but we snorkel.* There are many pristine reefs and deserted beaches.* I am putting up a link to the blog page with the trip last spring with our grandkids.* It will show what the Abaco chain is like.* The underwater shots are all by the kids with one shot underwater box cameras. (throw aways).* Not professional, but allot of fun.

Start at the bottom of the blog and work by day to see it in order.

*http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/...2/bahama-trip/

This was Lou's first trip to the Bahamas, and boy does she ever want to go back.* We are now planning one for winter/spring 2012 for a couple of months.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #119
KJ
El Capitan

Pilothouse Trawlers

Don,

Great blog, sounds like a fun trip. I was in Freeport in Nov on a dive trip, really enjoyed it.* I think I got Great Sale Cay mixed up with Cay Sal down in Cay Sal Bank.* A very remote place at best, I would love to chat with anyone who has taken their own boat there.** KJ
PS**** *You've got some good looking grand-kids.****

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 06:17:51 PM
Old 01-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #120
Guru

Pilothouse Trawlers

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Don,

Great blog, sounds like a fun trip. I was in Freeport in Nov on a dive trip, really enjoyed it.* I think I got Great Sale Cay mixed up with Cay Sal down in Cay Sal Bank.* A very remote place at best, I would love to chat with anyone who has taken their own boat there.** KJ
PS**** *You've got some good looking grand-kids.****

-- Edited by KJ on Sunday 9th of January 2011 06:17:51 PM

KJ,

Thanks.* Those kids are the joy of our lives.* We are fortunate to get to spend so much time with them.* They are always asking where next trip is.* This year it will e the Chesapeake Bay.

I am not familiar with Cay Sal.* Sounds really remote.* What is it near?* Abaco and*Eleuthera*are where we go.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Sunday 9th of January 2011 09:02:19 PM