Guru

City: Atlanta
A lot of good points above. Thanks everyone

makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #22

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
The night time issue isn't that big a deal. During my Canadian destroyer days, we would use a red light to orient the eyes. If you install a dim red light, lets say over the dinette away from the helm area, you're good to go. Also the warm glow from the MFD is always there.... lol.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #23

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-148
We have a Nordic Tug 37 & really like the raised pilot house. We like the fact that it defines the helm as a serious dedicated navigational space with good visibility. The chart table is there for navigational purposes & not doubling up as a space to hold dirty dishes & culinary instruments as in some vessels sharing the helm with the galley.

Having said that, the helm station makes for a lovely happy hour lounge when at anchor.
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #24

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Another point that hasn't been mentioned. On the KK42 RPH, there are doors both sides so only 2 steps to open the door and take a peek aft. I encourage my helmsman to do that often. The doors are open when docking. I took the helm chair out so it is easy for the helmsman to move around, crouch down to make sure the dinghy is still there through the saloon windows and peek out the tiny aft-facing portholes. When I have to sit, I am on the bench seat behind the helm with the autopilot control handy.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #25
Liz
Veteran Member

City: Peterborough, Ontario
I'm a newbie and still looking for a boat so this may be an absurd comment.

If visibility aft is a problem with a raised pilothouse, can't you install a backup camera like the ones in pickup trucks to help hook up a trailer?
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #26

Rear View Camera

Liz, I had a rear-view video camera mounted on the Celestial, an Albin 43 Sun Deck Trawler. I also had a camera mounted in the engine compartment. A simple switch on the monitor provided selection between sources. The system worked very well. That was an old system, I am sure newer ones are available. One has to make sure that the rear view is corrected, so that what is on the left shows on the monitor as on the left. A standard camera and monitor does not do that. The problem with automotive type backup cameras is the field of view (angle) automotive types are too wide. A narrower field of view is required. Unfortunately, the Celestial was lost in Hurricane Michael, so I can offer no additional information. I used security type cameras and monitors.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #27
Liz
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for the info. I'm looking for a trawler to do the Loop and I will be solo. Good to know that I can copy what you did. Although I hope that 99.999999 percent of the time I should be moving forward!

Liz
Old 03-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Liz, I did the Loop solo in 2017. While visibility is poor aft, between AIS and radar, very little sneaks up on me. Much of the loop is more confined water, so most of what is coming up behind you is goind to avoid you or call to arrange passing. For the areas with ships, tugs and barges, I run the radar when underway.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #29

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. Owned wooden 1972 Grand Banks 42 from 1986 to 2015
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
I preferred to cruise my Grand Banks 42 Classic from the lower station where visibility aft was restricted. The attached photo shows how I raised the dinghy rack to enable me to look aft from the lower helm through the larger of the two windows at the aft end of the main cabin. It was not a perfect solution, but raising it those 24 inches had other benefits as well. I always moored and unmoored operating from the flying bridge.

So why the preference for the lower helm? It was definitely cooler in the hot weather in which we often operated thanks to the shade on the overhead deck from the large bimini and several inches of hard foam in the overhead. Oh, and that is where the food was.

In night or foggy cruising, I was more at ease as that is where the single radar display was as well other controls not repaeted on the FB. Night visibility was one reason I never coated the windows with any film but rather used a see-through mesh over the windows during hot sunny days, except the forward and aft windows when operating down below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinghy rack from stb qtr (FILEminimizer).JPG
Views:	33
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	87045  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #30
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
360 degrees and port and starboard doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96E1FA53-238B-4850-8D0F-62EC7F27E76B.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	87048  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:42 AM   #31
Guru

I think about how we used the last few boats we owned and where people congregated. In the big boat, the pilothouse was crowded with guests during parties, but older parents/relatives would be relaxing down in the salon. On my last boat the helm was usually just me and sometimes my wife, but up in the bow would be a gaggle of kids and teenie-boppers laughing and doing their own thing.

One thing that is challenging these days is shifting my brain from the "family" plan to the "couples" plan, since within a couple of years both kids will be away at Uni and we will be approaching an early retirement.

So kids/friends/grandkids/etc., are of secondary importance on the next boat, as opposed to what happily supports just the two of us. Even things like the head - we actually only need 1, since 2 would just be a nice luxury.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:00 AM   #32
FF
Guru

"If visibility aft is a problem with a raised pilothouse, can't you install a backup camera like the ones in pickup trucks to help hook up a trailer?"

We use a repurposed auto mirror , hasn't failed to work yet , no power draw!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #33
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I have an AT34/36. I solved the "what's behind me" with a camera.
The galley is 3 steps down so it is not really separates you from the guests. If they really want to talk with me, there is a nice padded 2 or 3 person bench seat.
I do have an upper deck but that is populated with emergency 6 man raft, dock box and 4 SCUBA tanks.
I have never had an fly bridge and dont miss it and dont want one. The A/C or heat, food, head are all inside and closer then using a ladder to get down to everything of importance. The pilot how roof is populated by 2 130amp solar panels.
For me and my house mouse, the boat is perfect except for the hanging closet space. I have added 5 cabinets at various places on the boat and hydraulic lifts to get under the berth. She gets 2 drawers in the stateroom. I get one drawer. That is called "equal rights." She has a sweet, gentle heart of gold so I try to make her comfortable. SMILE
The only problem I cannot over come is that small hanging closet. SIGH
Old 03-30-2019, 10:24 AM   #34
Liz
Veteran Member

Thanks Ted! When I first got the idea of doing the Loop I was worried about a soko trip. However, the lovely people on this Forum have convinced me it is doable and I won't be lonely, either.

Liz
Old 03-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #35
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Having bad knees left ankle, and a spinal condition, I find that the less I go up and down when moving through a boat the better off I am. I know it's very difficult to get everything on one level with a boat. I prefer an aft raised pilot house which is hard to find outside of Dutch styled motor barges. See the example below a 32x12 Motor Barge by Selway-Fisher. Three steps down into the cabin and engine room below the pilot house. From my understanding access is two ways to the engine room, hatch under pilothouse and flip up or slide out stairway, ala sailboat companion way.

One thing I do not like is a mid or forward pilot house. It creates to many ups and downs. This Glen L Union Jack design has three sets of steps to move through the boat. I have seen boats with more sets of steps and ladders to get around the boat. I am not supposed to climb ladders. This seems to be the most common set up with boats that would fall in the range most of us will or do own.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I'm a newbie and still looking for a boat so this may be an absurd comment.

If visibility aft is a problem with a raised pilothouse, can't you install a backup camera like the ones in pickup trucks to help hook up a trailer?

It is certainly possible, but I think on most boats it would likely take a couple cameras to be able to visualize things adequately. I have a single camera facing after, and while convenient for many things, it is not adequate for docking.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:13 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
It is certainly possible, but I think on most boats it would likely take a couple cameras to be able to visualize things adequately. I have a single camera facing after, and while convenient for many things, it is not adequate for docking.
I'd agree, probably need three: one wide angle to see who's coming up behind, and then #two and three at each quarter, tight angle. Seems like a lot of cameras and wires. Perhaps the idea above about a couple of side view mirrors is best.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:20 AM   #38
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I'd agree, probably need three: one wide angle to see who's coming up behind, and then #two and three at each quarter, tight angle. Seems like a lot of cameras and wires. Perhaps the idea above about a couple of side view mirrors is best.
There are wireless cameras too.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:19 AM   #39
Guru

I have four wireless camera on my home, from two different manufacturers. These I need being 8000 miles away. But I have all sorts of ongoing issues with both. In the future I will stick with wired units to a central management unit. I bring this up because most likely your stern backing up camera would likely be part of an overall security system as well. Reliability is key.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:11 AM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
This thread needs a bit more life:

Some of us intentionally opted for a roomy aft master, large easily accessed ER, front staterooms separated from master, high lower helm steerage position, easy fore, aft and side deck access from three deck level doors, large enclosed fly bridge and a lowered CG. The combination of which cannot be found in a pilot house design under 50 feet.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote