Old 12-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #1

City: Huntersville NC
Vessel Name: Abeona
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
Pics from our first night on the hook!!!

Finally had our first practice trip in our new to us boat! We had a blast! The boat performed flawlessly.

We went from St Petersburg where the boat currently is about 2 hours away to Egmont Key. We chose to anchor on the SW side (the Gulf) of the island because of the SE winds. I made the mistake of thinking we’d be more protected there than on the other side. It was a little rolly but not awful. So we dropped the dink and spent an hour or so exploring the island. As the sun went down, the waves picked up. It was too dark to do anything about it as there were crab pots all over the place. Long story short, my wife and I didn’t sleep at all. The waves kept picking up. We were weather vaning into the wind, waves were coming in perpendicular to us. It was awful! But somehow the kids slept through it. As soon as the sun came up we pulled the anchor (by hand, windless doesn’t work) and we went home. Really too bad because we planned to spend the entire next day on the island. Maybe next time.

Overall it was an excellent trip and we learned a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	297320FB-FEE2-40CD-B7C8-842FF4415C1E.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	83272   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8357480-AA9D-448D-931A-FA7FD71D09CA.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	83273   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD9D6330-B344-4B77-8EC0-872ECFCB616A.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	83274   Click image for larger version

Name:	D97A78C6-E1CB-465C-99F5-2D2666AC6C11.jpg
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	83275  

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

More pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BA8F3CE3-FBCD-47E7-A672-B009C47DC089.jpg
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	83276   Click image for larger version

Name:	844B92FD-63DA-4750-8F8C-027E98C7ED5F.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	83277   Click image for larger version

Name:	C8333388-8F31-404D-8169-68152D338031.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	83278   Click image for larger version

Name:	03F976AA-5D85-4E33-8780-3BF9664528B0.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	83279   Click image for larger version

Name:	D8F99C95-FCEC-4339-AC3C-1255892BECB8.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	83280  

Name:	B926E59A-BAA3-415E-A75E-EB158D618160.jpg
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	83281   Click image for larger version

Name:	3ADC9A7D-CF6F-45EA-ADED-C08A241134C8.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	83282  

Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #3

It got much worse than this. It was non stop!

https://youtu.be/h6Y55rLyzX8
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Pics from our first night on the hook!!!

Don’t spill that wine!

Anchoring is a skill. It gets better with practice. I want to anchor out there on Egmont and check it out. Looks like an interesting place.

Love that hull color!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Awesome. You learned a lesson, always check weather. More importantly you made memories with your family. Your children will, eventually cherish these moments.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Any experience that you come through with good memories and no damage or injuries is good afterall. We've also been caught anchored or moored in what ended up being very rolly conditions, but we learned as I'm sure you did. We all had to start someplace and the lessons learned will make the next time that much better.

My daughter who is now almost 18 and doesn't like hanging out with the old folks so much - STILL says some of her best memories are of us boating. They are mine as well.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #7

Thanks guys! We are no doubt making memories and it’s some priceless family time.

About the weather. I made the mistake of assuming that the waves would be going in the direction of the wind. When we got to the anchorage the waves were so small that it wasn’t worth going all the way around the island to see if it was better, because didn’t think it was. And being that the winds would be picking up from the SE, I figured we were in a good spot.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Steve,

You're in my neighborhood.

Great experience and thx for the post. I've anchored out there many times in different boats always on the east side and for the most part, smooth. If you get strong east winds, not the place to be, but doable, like you did.

I find the best spot is about 1/4 mile south of the pier, almost in the middle of the island. Beautiful sand beaches and can get pretty close with the boat.

Also, you anchored out in some COLD weather, hope you stayed warm.

First thing.... fix that windlass, it will make anchoring MUCH easier.

Nice looking boat.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Hi, Steve. Great pictures. We visit Egmont frequently and spent the night there once--it was not pleasant. I have been boating the waters there for many years and knew better. You have zero protection from the east winds that pick up at night. I suggest anchoring at Egmont during the day (east side) and seeking protection at the mouth of Manatee River at night (off of Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial).
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Compton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Thanks guys! We are no doubt making memories and it’s some priceless family time.

About the weather. I made the mistake of assuming that the waves would be going in the direction of the wind. When we got to the anchorage the waves were so small that it wasn’t worth going all the way around the island to see if it was better, because didn’t think it was. And being that the winds would be picking up from the SE, I figured we were in a good spot.
Just remember when you come into a place you aren't too familiar with getting on the VHF and ask for some local knowledge can be a good call. HTH JD
Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Hi, Steve. Great pictures. We visit Egmont frequently and spent the night there once--it was not pleasant. I have been boating the waters there for many years and knew better. You have zero protection from the east winds that pick up at night. I suggest anchoring at Egmont during the day (east side) and seeking protection at the mouth of Manatee River at night (off of Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial).
Vashon,

Good point, always have a back up. The nice thing about Egmont is that the prevailing wind is westerly, and often provides a great anchorage on the east side. But your points in Manatee River are good for plan B, and relatively close. I need to head down there sometime......
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2000 Camano 31'
Steve: I love the color of your boat! When did the previous owner have it painted? Looks nice.

Slow Lane
Camano for sale
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #13

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Such a nice post Steve!

And as Ken says, on a boating trip good memories + nil injuries or damage = great memories.

Seevee is correct about fixing your windlass, wont cost much $$ but once you have experienced it working you will never tolerate it not working again!

H.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Thanks guys! Honestly the only bummer is that I had promised my daughter we would spend the entire next day exploring the island and looking for turtles. We were all disappointed that it didn’t happen. She’s been a trooper lately. So far just about every trip has been very us moving in, cleaning, and working on the small list of things that need to be done. So we were looking forward to just enjoying the boat. But it’s ok. Our next trip will be bringing my brother in law out and he’s going to teach my daughter (and myself) to fish. She’s very excited about that.

A question for the locals, any recommendations for an anchorage somewhere in the area that we can spend the night and fish?

Thanks for the compliments on the color of the boat. We love it. We were actually under contract with another boat, same exact thing actually, just in slightly less mechanical shape when this one popped up for sale. I called and made and offer immidately. The PO just had it painted and the entire outside including resealing the windows done. It was done maybe 6 months ago. There litterly isn’t a blemish anywhere on the outside. It’s like a new boat. We are so fortunate to have found it.

And I have kept it scratch free even after my first 2 times docking it, which was terrifying being that it as no thrusters and it’s by far the biggest boat I’ve ever handled.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #15
Guru

City: Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, (or where the anchor drops)
Vessel Model: 1973 42 Bertram MY
There is no comparison to anchoring out versus marinas. For us, we love anchoring and view marinas as a necessary evil from time to time, at best, when cruising.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
There is no comparison to anchoring out versus marinas. For us, we love anchoring and view marinas as a necessary evil from time to time, at best, when cruising.
Yeah it’s amazing. Unfortunately we were only able to do it a couple of times last year with our Mainship because the gas genny was unreliable. Of course I finally fixed it right before we sold it.

This boat being all diesel so far has been super reliable. We are planning on anchoring as often as possible.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #17

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post

A question for the locals, any recommendations for an anchorage somewhere in the area that we can spend the night and fish?
Steve,

Yes, there is a good reason you will see few boats anchored at Egmont at night. As I stated in an earlier post, you have the mouth of the Manatee River (Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial). Going South from Egmont on the inside, you also have Bradenton Beach (near Bradenton Beach Marina) and Jewfish Key (south east or so of Longboat Pass). I prefer going North. You can consider Boca Ciega Bay and almost unlimited anchorage throughout the ICW from St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs. My wife and daughter (8 years old) prefer Three Rooker Bar (Tarpon Springs) and Caladesi Island (Dunedin). I have been going to both the latter and former since a child. The marina at Caladesi has shore power, water, and there are lots of places to explore on the island via various nature trails.

Chris
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi, nice pictures and beautiful family, wonderful time when kids are still young before teenage years

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi, nice pictures and beautiful family, wonderful time when kids are still young before teenage years

NBs
Thank you! It’s definitely some wonderful family time.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Steve,

Yes, there is a good reason you will see few boats anchored at Egmont at night. As I stated in an earlier post, you have the mouth of the Manatee River (Emerson Point preserve or Desoto National Memorial). Going South from Egmont on the inside, you also have Bradenton Beach (near Bradenton Beach Marina) and Jewfish Key (south east or so of Longboat Pass). I prefer going North. You can consider Boca Ciega Bay and almost unlimited anchorage throughout the ICW from St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs. My wife and daughter (8 years old) prefer Three Rooker Bar (Tarpon Springs) and Caladesi Island (Dunedin). I have been going to both the latter and former since a child. The marina at Caladesi has shore power, water, and there are lots of places to explore on the island via various nature trails.

Chris
Yep! Guess we should have known better when we said “we have the whole place to ourselves!”

Tarpon springs looks wonderful but I think it’s a little too far away for what we want to do. What about anything further south like Johns Pass? We definitely want to go north on the ICW since this will be our only chance to see that part of the ICW.

Thanks for the help!