Picking a new name for our tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
TBD
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
Our new (to us) little Sundowner 30 tug needs a new name. At the moment she is called Walrus, I don't think it suits her at all.

This might be a mistake but here goes:
Suggestions?

Attachments

• 372641031_10227339693610460_2031638008802275139_n.jpg
    372641031_10227339693610460_2031638008802275139_n.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 57
Looks good. Enjoy. How about "Slow Dance"?

Something that sounds strong and steady. Atlas. Simba. Zeus. Hercules. John Henry.

Sorry, Weebles is taken.

Peter

Well, considering your new boat's speed:

Blew By You

Ted

Last edited:
What are your interests? The boat name should mean something to you.

Yeah I think it’s a mistake but not uncommon. Threads like this on the hull truth all the time. This site’s a little more sophisticated? I’d say, so you won’t get ya know aquaholic or nauti girl or balls deep or happy hooker . Still I think it’s far too personal a choice to ask strangers, even though you will rightly take their input on canvas color or anchor choice. No offense to any nautigirls out there.

Nice boat btw. She’ll help you more than we can

Last edited:
Our current boat was named Nauti-Girl with a nude mermaid between the names holding a martini glass. We ran the boat home about 7 hours and I went into the garage and got the heat gun and removed that name. The next day I put Black Dog on the boat, better!

Oh this is more fun that I thought

I think the name is already in your profile: Snohomish. It’s radio friendly and not likely to turn off a future purchaser.

Just be aware there is a commercial tug with that name, currently moored in Everett; something you should check for with any name ideas.

Or, just a simple play on the brand: Sun Tug.

Far too many Aquaholic, Journey, Nauti Girl, Happy Hooker, Pegasus, Seas the Day.

Ladies first names can work well. Is there a person you might want to honor by putting their name on it?

I think the name is already in your profile: Snohomish. It’s radio friendly and not likely to turn off a future purchaser.

Just be aware there is a commercial tug with that name, currently moored in Everett; something you should check for with any name ideas.

Or, just a simple play on the brand: Sun Tug.

Far too many Aquaholic, Journey, Nauti Girl, Happy Hooker, Pegasus, Seas the Day.

Nice, Snohomish is going to be her hailing port.

I know nobody asked, but I don't like puns. Particularly anything with nauti, reel, aqua, etc. mostly because they are just so over used. I saw 2 'Seas the Day' in the same harbor this past weekend. I also saw two "Social Distance" which now looks like a dated bumper sticker for political candidates that had long since lost the election.

I know nobody asked, but I don't like puns. Particularly anything with nauti, reel, aqua, etc. mostly because they are just so over used. I saw 2 'Seas the Day' in the same harbor this past weekend. I also saw two "Social Distance" which now looks like a dated bumper sticker for political candidates that had long since lost the election.

Not a big fan of puns either

Some years ago I owned an ex army yard tug. Working on it sounded like a steel drum so that's what I called it. I later added a small steel log tug, so I called it Bongo. Here they are together.

Bongo is a possibility maybe.

Attachments

• Steeldrumbongo.jpg
    Steeldrumbongo.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 34
Tugalong

Agree with the sentiments it should not be obnoxious and it should mean something to you.

All our boats have been named Hippocampus. When we sell we take back the name.
Hippocampus is Greek for seahorse. It’s the area of the brain involved in making memories. I am/was a neurologist/neuroscientist. Hippocampus means something to me. Some of my best memories involve my boats. My friends know if they see or hear hippocampus it’s vey likely me. Over the years have run into other hippocampus named boats but fingers on one hand and none documented in my home country. So no confusion.

I’m sure you can come up with something unique like that as we are all unique. The commercial guys commonly use family names in my area. That makes sense to name two things you love the same. Some friends use combinations of their kids names as did my father in law. Some use a name or thought or feeling expressed in a foreign language. That does particularly appeal to me. Seems artificial. Not a big fan of cute names unless it will still bring a smile to your lips after the first decade of ownership. Understand using the tugboats in children’s books such as Little Toot or Scuffy or tugboat Bill if it means something to your child. Would also put the graphics from the book on the boat if you can.
Just remember choose wisely. It’s a PIA to change names.

Last edited:
Agree with the sentiments it should not be obnoxious and it should mean something to you.

All our boats have been named Hippocampus. When we sell we take back the name.
Hippocampus is Greek for seahorse. It’s the area of the brain involved in making memories. I am/was a neurologist/neuroscientist. Hippocampus means something to me. Some of my best memories involve my boats. My friends know if they see or hear hippocampus it’s vey likely me. Over the years have run into other hippocampus named boats but fingers on one hand and none documented in my home country. So no confusion.

I’m sure you can come up with something unique like that as we are all unique. The commercial guys commonly use family names in my area. That makes sense to name two things you love the same. Some friends use combinations of their kids names as did my father in law. Some use a name or thought or feeling expressed in a foreign language. That does particularly appeal to me. Seems artificial. Not a big fan of cute names unless it will still bring a smile to your lips after the first decade of ownership. Understand using the tugboats in children’s books such as Little Toot or Scuffy or tugboat Bill if it means something to your child. Would also put the graphics from the book on the boat if you can.
Just remember choose wisely. It’s a PIA to change names.

All very good advice, thank you

Back
Top Bottom