Picking a new name for our tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we sell we take back the name.

I like the idea of keeping a name, but if offering on your boat, I would include a “subject to” vendor removing the name to my satisfaction.

I’m fussy about names
No given names, with the exception of some place names.

Names must be easy to pronounce and broadcast. Yesterday I spotted LA FEMME DE LA MER. No comment.

Going to go thru the same thing with Phelps. Now that (it/she/he?) is launched and floats, time to get more serious. Wife already nixxed Wet Spot. I'm thinking since it was made in Tiawan, how about "Khoudung"...........?

It's been used before, but captures much about our life in boats:

Never Again II

How about the name my wife would not let me call our boat:

Not So Fast

It's been used before, but captures much about our life in boats:

Never Again II

We named our last boat Never Say Never because we said we would never get another boat. It was to be our last boat but it did live up to it’s name.

Dave feel your pain. IJBOL.

My pain is that I actually believe that we are on our last boat…. I really like getting a new boat and working on it but alas I am getting older and am not as able to do all the work on a new boat.

I actually like "Walrus".

Not common.

And it is kind of fat and slow...

It always surprises me the names people put on their boats, sexual innuendo etc. I couldn’t disrespect my boat that way. Also when they use the VHF and say their boat name I can only imagine everyone laughing when they hear these type of names.

Yep, I'd rather not have to explain a sexual innuendo boat name to my kids. Always seemed kind of adolescent to me (my boys and off-color boat names). I always did think the Great Lakes carrier habit, and some Age of Sail ships, using first and last names was classy. Charles W. Morgan. Edmund Fitzgerald. Arthur Anderson.

Personally I would not go with Edmund Fitzgerald.
How will the legend live on from the Chippewa on down if the name is not perpetuated?

I think there are two guardrails for a durable boat name. VHF-friendly ("Hoof Hearted" cannot be said 3x with a straight face; lengthy and unusual names such as "Quintessence" are a pain to spell phonetically); and the name reflects the boat's attributes of personality (versus the owners which risks making the boat chattel). In some instances a memorial name works - fishing boats were often named for departed spouse or loved one.

Native Americans often waited for months for a sign or spiritual inspiration before naming their newborn.

But the best naming advice I've heard was from the previous owner of my boat, then named "Shy Platypus."

"Never give your 7-year old naming rights. "

Peter

Last edited:
I have commented on similar threads in the past but I'll give it another shot here today.

Naming a boat is generally a pretty personal choice. Suggestions are often welcome but the name will come to you eventually. I have a couple rules of thumb that you might want to bear in mind:

* People will often ask you "Where the name comes from"? I think my boat name is interesting enough and I enjoy telling people about it. I don't think I would take a lot of pride in saying "Some guy on the internet suggested it".

* I would NEVER consider a name which alludes to alcohol use. Things like: Miller time, Cocktail Hour, Happy hour, etc. There are a million others. Don't get me wrong, I happen to be a non drinker but I don't try to influence others either for or against it. I just think that there would be a negative influence on the investigating officer if ever there was a problem.

* The name should be something that is easy to pronounce. Like on the radio to bridge tenders or lock managers. Some foreign languages do not sound like they look on the back of your boat, could cause confusion.

* The name should be relatively easy to spell, like when making reservations or even a pizza delivery.

BTW, in case anyone cares. My first boat was the "Viable Alternative", the second boat was "Better Alternative" and my last boat, which I just sold, was "Best Alternative".
I'll buy another boat some day, probably name it "Final Alternative" or maybe "Last Alternative". Although I generally do not name my dinghy I sometimes referred to it as the "Alternate Alternative".

pete

* People will often ask you "Where the name comes from"? I think my boat name is interesting enough and I enjoy telling people about it.

Peggie the Headmistress has one of my favorite stories about a boat name. A guy gets the boat in his divorce from his ex-wife Ruth. Names the boat "Ruthless."

Peter

If (when) you get AIS, your name will go out to other vessels. I don't know if all receivers display the same number of letters, but many names are too long to show up completely on our MFD and radio. This summer, my wife saw an AIS target approaching from the opposite direction in a narrow passage. The vessel name was Yacht Knot S, and we were talking about what the full name might be when it appeared. It was one of the semi-planing boats hogging along at 12 knt and throwing a gigantic wake in the channel. After it passed and we recovered, my wife said that the S was for Sea. Yacht Knot Sea. It is now our generic name for similar boats. But the point is, you might want a short name.

Someday (I hope not) you may need a simple, understandable name that transmits clearly in "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. This is ____." No time for cute, double entendre, or complex names.

Someday (I hope not) you may need a simple, understandable name that transmits clearly in "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday. This is ____." No time for cute, double entendre, or complex names.

So I shouldn't call her Mayday....:rofl:

If it has some sort of connection with a tug I would call it 'dragging along'. Short, simple and easy to remember. LOL

Poke’

In all seriousness boat names are a personal choice. Whatever you decide will be right.

Deliberate.

Synonym of slow…

How about Sunny, since she's a Sundowner?

Milt Baker, American Tug 34064 Bluewater V

My thought is that cute or joke names will get old. Something dignified. And, IMO Walrus is a fine name.

I took a couple of months to think about it before replacing Stray Dog, which applied to a Citadel bulldog graduate but not us.

We named our Sundowner 30 Miss Loopy because be got her to do The Great Loop. Some of our friends thought we were a bit loopy when we got the boat but that had *nothing to do with naming her* (wink wink). In retrospect we should have named her 'Miss Sandpaper' because, well, you know...

Choose a name that is easy on the bridge and lock operators. You dont want to spend the day spelling it, for their log.
If you name it after a girlfriend you might be changing a few times. Same as naming after your wife. LOL
Don’t forget the renaming ceremony.

Last edited:
How about a boat name that tells us something about the OWNERS?

and/or

Perhaps what you plan to do with her whist she is entrusted to YOUR care?

Ray

Back
Top Bottom