Old 03-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

City: San Pedro, CA
Vessel Name: Boatless
Vessel Model: Dreamer
Photos of Brightwork Painted White ???

Hi All:

As I continue to migrate myself into Taiwan Trawler land - I wonder about all the exterior britework...

I might have read that one school of thought says paint it white with good house paint and forget about for 10-years...

Is that possible?

Can anybody post or refer me to pictures to what a previously brite section of the boat - like the caprail - looks like painted white?

Or for that matter - if the brown trim of brite teak is so compelling - how about a glossy tan/brown enamel instead of varnish?

(photo of bow area for lack of a better picture of caprail)

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
2016-03-20 13.24.59.jpg  
CarlinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #2

Follow-up post...

I am not foreign to painting caprail... did it 10-years ago on another boat...

I liked it...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2616.jpg   DSCN2625.jpg  
Old 03-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. C. I have seen numerous examples of bright work painted in different colors. Some are in contrast to adjoining elements and some are painted to meld with adjoining elements so your idea of a glossy tan/brown is quite doable. I've seen caprails painted to match boot stripes, for example. Your boat, your choice.

One thing I would strongly suggest is IF you opt to paint your bright work, apply several coats of varnish before hand to seal the grain. When you or a subsequent owner want to return to that "varnished look", paint stripper or a heat gun will easily remove the paint AND the varnish to produce a not paint stained teak substrate.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
Guru

My NOVA has extensive brightwork, but I don't want it to look like a GE refrigerator, so I'll keep layin' on the varnish.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We haven't done the cap rail but we've painted the exterior pilot house doors, grab rails, name boards and eye brow. We use Interlux Brightside one-part polyurethane paint. Easy to apply, touch up and is pretty durable.

Interlux Brightside Polyurethane
Attached Thumbnails
066.jpg   065.JPG  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I've seen painted bright work on numerous KKs. I think it looks just fine. However, I've never seen painted bright work on a GB. I've been mightily tempted but I'm afraid I will destroy the "look" and perhaps hurt the resale value.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
CarlinLA,
House paint has limited value on a boat. I's problem is that dirt adhers to it and very soon it looks bad and is hard to clean. Painting brightwork in colors I'd be thinking of a high gloss paint basically like varnish but not clear. However I have several things on my boat painted w house paint.

I like your old boat .. especially the substitute for the typical hoop on the end of the bow roller. Thought of that just last week.
Nice lines on the old boat. How do/did you keep her water tight?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #8

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
We painted the lower eyebrow (GBs have 2) on our 42 Grand Banks. Don't have a pic but can post one next week. Had a hard time keeping varnish on this eyebrow, paint no problem. The upper eyebrow holds varnish just fine. Will post pick when I have one.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #9

Sadly she was not watertight. the fiberglass had yielded and the numerous leaks leaked significantly. bilge pump ran often. of course she was still floating when identified for derilict removal (after my ownership).

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
CarlinLA,

Nice lines on the old boat. How do/did you keep her water tight?
Old 03-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Guru

City: gulf coast
make sure the teak is well varnished before covering with paint. That way if you ever want to go back to varnish removal is easier.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
make sure the teak is well varnished before covering with paint. That way if you ever want to go back to varnish removal is easier.
We didn't worry about that, particularly on the eye brow (s). We've rebuilt 4 of 6 corners. Physically they are a match but the new teak would never match the old. We have acres of teak on our KK42 that has not been painted. The new owner can practice on that. I willing to bet they wouldn't want anymore bare teak to varnish.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We didn't worry about that, particularly on the eye brow (s). We've rebuilt 4 of 6 corners. Physically they are a match but the new teak would never match the old.
Same here, I've got so much teak already that any more outside is not an option. I suppose if you took the top eight inch off the cap rail, it may come closer to matching since I used vintage teak for patches, coming as close to the grain as I could. After the repair, I just gave up on it and painted it with two part. I thought I knew how much teak I had till I started tearing apart the interior. Even the out-of-sight sub-framing is made of better material than I can buy from the plantation stuff available, some of which you can see was trimmed by a machete.. It must have been something in those days..... to see with acres of boat construction and huge piles of teak everywhere.

The KK's seem to do OK with painted exterior teak, but I don't know about the GB's, Chubbys, MT's and so on. The style and richness of that exterior trim was such a part of the brand, so loved and hated for that gorgeous teak.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
We painted the lower eyebrow (GBs have 2) on our 42 Grand Banks. Don't have a pic but can post one next week. Had a hard time keeping varnish on this eyebrow, paint no problem. The upper eyebrow holds varnish just fine. Will post pick when I have one.
"Ditto" on the lower eyebrow on our GB42.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
OCDiver just had his rails painted....not sure if they were Awlgrip or not...but looked bulletproof the way the painter did it.

I was just thinking of painting mine....I might think a softer enamel paint. Even 5 years with easy touch up and repair would be a blessing. OCDiver did his in dark blue...I may go black like the rest of the accents to keep the fridge look down.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
OCDiver just had his rails painted....not sure if they were Awlgrip or not...but looked bulletproof the way the painter did it.
I agree. It looks like it was done the right way.

A friend had his cap rail painted with a 2 -part professionally that was not done correctly. Three years later he had cracks at the corners and at a few joints on the cap rail. A year later the paint was lifting in several inch sections.

It looks like he had the same problems we have keeping moisture out of varnished joints. As the wood expands and contracts, the paint didn't and failed. No easy/cheap fix unfortunately.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #16
Guru

That is why I am thinking a soft enamel...may not stay bright/shiny like the harder paints buy may last longer on the joints if not too large.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #17

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
If you don't like teak or don't want you to maintain it, why don't you purchase a boat with out it?
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecodder View Post
If you don't like teak or don't want you to maintain it, why don't you purchase a boat with out it?
Now don't get like our famous "buy another boat poster"....

The type boat I wanted in the price range I could afford had it and if I could have had the PO strip it all off before I bought it....I would have paid extra.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #19
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
We owned a 36 GB that was loaded with teak. We swore we would never have exterior teak again. So we bought a 46 GB also loaded with teak. WTF!!
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #20
FF
Guru

With a number of coats of varnish , so the finish can be restored, any brown patio deck stain would pass the 10 ft test .

Water condensing on it in the AM does not seem to cause the droplets to form a lens and burn the finish off like varnish.

Consumer reports could be a great product guide.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote