Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #21
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
We just had black pfifertex shades made for our boat and it’s made a drastic difference in the temperature in the boat. (Notice our new canvas up top too..went from tan to navy blue)
Attached Thumbnails
EC151CE1-74E7-4A2F-BA61-D58C6045B926.jpg  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #22
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
We began installing the panels on the outside as they were finished and we soon discovered that with our daily Floriad rain showers that we could not see thru the material from the inside when it was wet and it was wet Most of the time .

As a result of this we began installing on the inside and absolutely love it !
BigTime, you seem to be in the minority by installing them inside. I think that inside would be a better solution for me for a number of reasons, but I'm wondering how effective it is in reducing the solar gain (compared to mounting outside).

I see you are in sunny Florida - do you feel the inside mounting does as effective a job at reducing heat as when you had them outside??
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I ended up using phifertex on the outside in black. It has worked really well for us. We have one piece that wraps from the port PH window all the way round the front to the starboard PH window. It goes over the wipers and is held in place by 8 snaps. It has never come loose regardless of the wind storms. We have an additional 2 windows on each side covered with a snap in each corner.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkay View Post
BigTime, you seem to be in the minority by installing them inside.
For us the point is avoiding excess UV to the interior teak. Varnishing everything outside is challenging enough!

I'd have to think putting them outside would provide the best reflecting of heat. If they're on the inside, well, then you've got material absorbing the heat... on the inside; ready to radiate it out in the cabin. Where as if it's outside you're reflecting it before getting to the glass and potentially dissipating whatever was absorbed outside, with a lot less getting to the glass (and then inward to the interior). But then I'm no window covering expert.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
For us the point is avoiding excess UV to the interior teak. Varnishing everything outside is challenging enough!

I'd have to think putting them outside would provide the best reflecting of heat. If they're on the inside, well, then you've got material absorbing the heat... on the inside; ready to radiate it out in the cabin. Where as if it's outside you're reflecting it before getting to the glass and potentially dissipating whatever was absorbed outside, with a lot less getting to the glass (and then inward to the interior). But then I'm no window covering expert.
I talked to a tech at Phifer Inc., today and he described all this pretty much exactly as you did.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 AM   #26

City: Ft pierce
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
IMO get the 90%. We just had beige Textilene covers made and they are great especially in hot climates!
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:12 AM   #27

We installed ours on the inside. Use car heat reflectors cut down to fit between the window and the screen, works great.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #28
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
I talked to a tech at Phifer Inc., today and he described all this pretty much exactly as you did.
Hmmm...don't know why I didn't think about calling them. That's a smart move.

I agree that reflecting light before it is absorbed through the glass is the best approach to reduce solar gain - I'd call that a fact. It also leaves the material in the weather and I believe it would require screw in snaps (which I like to avoid). Putting them inside is less effective in preventing solar gain, but the material lasts longer, doesn't need to be removed in a storm, and I could use adhesive backed snaps. All these are positives to me and it should still provide SOME benefit in reducing heat.

So I'm trying to find the best compromise for me: best solar reflection but having the material in the weather or lower solar reflection and material kept inside. That's why I'm curious to hear from people who have it on the inside - are they happy with their choice or regretting it?
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #29
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:

I agree that reflecting light before it is absorbed through the glass is the best approach to reduce solar gain - I'd call that a fact. It also leaves the material in the weather and I believe it would require screw in snaps (which I like to avoid). Putting them inside is less effective in preventing solar gain, but the material lasts longer, doesn't need to be removed in a storm, and I could use adhesive backed snaps. All these are positives to me and it should still provide SOME benefit in reducing heat.

So I'm trying to find the best compromise for me: best solar reflection but having the material in the weather or lower solar reflection and material kept inside. That's why I'm curious to hear from people who have it on the inside - are they happy with their choice or regretting it?
Can’t help you with some of your questions, but a dock neighbor has had 60% Phifertex on his boat for about 10 years and it still looks good—with cleaning—and works well. (He does wish he had 90.)
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I used the sailtite machine and material. Went with the black highest percentage 90?). My first sewing project and they all came out great. Your wife will do much better with her experience.
The snaps I think are all you need. Maybe a hurricanne might ge enough to unsnap them. We dont have hurricanes her in San Diego but I assume you would remove all canvas and covers in that case. If made properly they are very tight to the window so the wind does not really get under them.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Grace Harbor
Vessel Name: Seabiscuit
Vessel Model: Mainship 43 aft cabin
I have 7 coverings with 4 snaps each. Have seen 60 mph+ sustained winds on 4 occasions with no issue
Rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #32

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
Quote:
BigTime, you seem to be in the minority by installing them inside. I think that inside would be a better solution for me for a number of reasons, but I'm wondering how effective it is in reducing the solar gain (compared to mounting outside).

I see you are in sunny Florida - do you feel the inside mounting does as effective a job at reducing heat as when you had them outside??
If there is a difference it is slight, in fact it seems like there is less heat radiating from the glass with the material inside.My biggest plus besides the boat looking better inside and out is that with our daily rains it does not block my vision. I will be able to run down to the lower helm in a nasty storm and operate the boat and the wipers without removing the screens.
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #33
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
I will be able to run down to the lower helm in a nasty storm and operate the boat and the wipers without removing the screens.
Yeah, I get some folks take different approaches to things, but this seems like a phenomenally bad plan. Why restrict your vision with *anything* on the front glass? I'll accept some might be ok with restricted views on the sides, or astern, but OUT THE FRONT? That just does not seem at all sensible, especially not in rainy or rough conditions.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Tampa, FL
Vessel Name: Blooper
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship 400T
I used to be in the sail/canvas business and found in high UV conditions (i.e., Florida/Caribbean) that textilene held up much better than phifertex.
sailorskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Yeah, I get some folks take different approaches to things, but this seems like a phenomenally bad plan. Why restrict your vision with *anything* on the front glass? I'll accept some might be ok with restricted views on the sides, or astern, but OUT THE FRONT? That just does not seem at all sensible, especially not in rainy or rough conditions.
HELLO, The interior screens are right in front of my face when at the helm. I can remove them as easily as removing my sunglasses.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
Anegada da Vida: Window shades
jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Here are my white phifertex window cover I made 19 years ago. The ones for the pilothouse windows were off when I took the picture.

The covers are installed before Memorial Day and taken off at the end of October.

They get washed with a bleach and soap solution after removal and stored rolled.
Attached Thumbnails
20190720_101406.jpg  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:53 PM   #38

Quote:

Even though I have my Solitis 86 shades installed on the inside of my boat I reason that they would almost certainly be more effective from a heat gain perspective installed on the exterior of the glass. Even living in Florida , interior heat gain is not my sole objective. This discussion has prompted me to take some temperature reading today.
My last two screens were installed today on my 2 sliding cabin doors. Because there is very little clearance when opening these sliders the screens had to be installed directly to the inside of the glass in the recess of the door glass. I used glue on snaps. The screens on all the other glass are installed on the interior teak glass frames approximately 1 1/4" inboard of the glass. As the days wore on and the July Florida sun beat down I would like to share what I discovered.

With full sun on my glass the exterior glass temp was 120* Interior glass temp was 111* (all my glass is lightly tinted & my AC has been set at 77* for the 2 weeks since I last left the dock.) The interior temp of the Solitis 86 that was attached directly to the interior of the glass was 102* while 10" away under exactly the same circumstances the interior temp of the mesh that had a 1 1/4" airspace inboard of the glass was 87*
Old 07-22-2019, 05:35 AM   #39
FF
Guru

With a bit of planning it is possible to make shades which van be mounted inside or outside.

In heat outside is best as the material wil absorb the heat and then radiate it outside the boat. When cool, mounted inside the material will radiate the heat where you can enjoy it.

We rig our set inside during the summer hurricane season, were not on board extra heat is no hassle , and there still in place in the fall, blocking the UV from the cabin.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote