Old 01-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada
Perkins 6.354

Just acquired a Charley Morgan West Indian 36 Trawler and am in search of some parts for the Perkins 6.354 diesel. The manifold is shot as well as the mixing elbow. Clearly these are difficult to locate, subsequently I am reaching out to some of you guys in the hopes you may have something laying around.BTW, I'm really trying to figure out how to post images within this thread. Thx.
Seachaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
They arent likely hard to source, I got two for my old boat from S&W and the owner of my new boat replaced them with manicoolers from TAD and I used Mr. Cool for the coolers on the old boat.

So, you might try calling...

S&W Diesel in Wilmington, CA...(310) 835-3155
TAD Diesel in Hayes, VA...(804) 642-9296
Mr. Cool...(866) 726-2665 or www.mrcool.us
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #3

City: Detroit
Cool boat. Chris Craft took over the molds and made the same trawler for a while. I looked at the Chris Craft model last summer. Interesting boat. Good luck!
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Just got a manifold 2 years ago. Barr still makes them and if you shop around online, about $370. if I recall. Comes with new studs but not gaskets. If it is not the old cast iron type, you are in for a very expensive ride.

As to the elbow, Transatlantic Diesel will have what you need. Or for about the same money you could have a one piece elbow made. I had mine made at Stainless Marine in Miami. Seemed to be much better material than the originals and has lasted 20+ years.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Seachaser, congrats on your new-to-you West Indian. Those are handsome boats. Did you buy Yellowbird, by any chance? (Formerly docked at the Key West Yacht Club).

Looks like Brooksie served up good suggestions about that Perkins manifold and elbow.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #7

Seachaser, if it is the aluminum manicooler that you need there is a guy on I think RI craigslist selling a 9000 hour 200 HP 6.354. Looks well maintained I think he is asking $2500.00. It has the aluminum Manicooler
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you! I'll definitely give it a look. Appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow!!!! Now you seem like the one that can really help. I've been searching for over a week now and I assure you, its been crazy!!!! I'll search the names you posted. Thank you!!!
Old 01-15-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Seachaser, congrats on your new-to-you West Indian. Those are handsome boats. Did you buy Yellowbird, by any chance? (Formerly docked at the Key West Yacht Club).

Looks like Brooksie served up good suggestions about that Perkins manifold and elbow.
No, this one came out of Bradenton. Her name is Isle Escape. Beautiful boat, indeed. Everything looks great thus far and once I get the pieces I need she should be good to go.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
Cool boat. Chris Craft took over the molds and made the same trawler for a while. I looked at the Chris Craft model last summer. Interesting boat. Good luck!
Thank you!
Old 01-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Perkins 6.354 manifold

Still having a hard go with locating the proper manifold. Barr does not have a proper fit and another company (Stainless manufactured manifold) was around &4800 and change. UGH!!!! there has to be something that'll work and for a "reasonable" price.
1979 Charley Morgan West Indian 36'. Perkins 6.354 (natural) diesel
Old 01-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Sherrie at Trans Atlantic Diesel is very knowledgeable on Perkins parts .
Old 01-16-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
STB
Guru

Did you contact the three places I suggested? I feel almost sure that at least two of the three would be able to help you. I've never known S&W to turn up empty handed, even if it takes them a few days to track something down. And, TAD has a great reputation for turning up these parts quickly. Mr. Cool is worth a call, although they have less Perkins-specific knowledge.

Really give them a try...at least S&W and TAD:

S&W Diesel in Wilmington, CA...(310) 835-3155
TAD Diesel in Hayes, VA...(804) 642-9296
Mr. Cool...(866) 726-2665 or www.mrcool.us
Old 01-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I did, but unfortunately it hard to find. One fella had stainless and was asking $4800 just for the manifold. Whoa! I’ll search further before I pull the trigger on that one. Really appreciate you guys.
Btw, the one from Barr is not the same hookup and for a turbo. Mine is “natural “
Old 01-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #16
STB
Guru

Hi Seachaser,

Who did you talk to at S&W? Do you remember? What about at TAD?

My last engines were 6.354MGTs, much rarer than 6.354Ts. S&W was able to order the correct manifolds for me -- and they cost no where near that much.

I was looking to see how much, but it was buried in a long invoice from the mechanic. But, as nearly as I can tell, it was less than $1,000.00. Maybe $850.

What is your engine's build or serial number? Even the first two letters are likely good enough (although the first two letters and the next 5 numbers are better). The number is right (just barely) in "front" (to port) of the injector pump on the block.

If you can't see that, what about the part number on your existing manifold?

I can't tell for sure without knowing your engine's serial number (or, at least the first two letters), or the part number on the original manifold, but I'd be a little surprised if the one you need isn't the one below (Perkins: ZZ90054). It is used on almost all of the "TE" T6.354(M) engines, and even the "TF" horizontal turbo engines:
-- https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/zz90054
-- TAD for marine exhaust manifolds, perkins T6.354M parts, perkins T6.354M manifold, perkins exhaust manifold
-- Mesa Marine Manifold MOD #555 (Mod 555, carbon steel, no picture)
-- Mesa Marine Manifold MOD #571 (Mod 571, stainless)

I really don't think you are chasing a unicorn. Those are common engines. With the numbers, I really think I can help you find it if I didn't happen to guess it.

Cheers!
-Greg
Old 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Mr Cool doesn't have a mate.
TAD will construct with elbow @ around $4400.00 Yikes!
S&W sources out to Alabama and quoted around $2500-$2800 just for the manifold.
I'll keep looking.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #18
STB
Guru

Hey Seachaser,

Call Mesa Marine in Alabama directly: (251) 928-1234
Or, use their Web form

Although they are the source for a bunch of the dealers, they are actually a local fabrication shop with a walk in counter and will sell end customers both the parts in their inventory and custom fabs.

I suspected they were S&Ws source, but wasn't sure. I ordered a metric boat load of parts all at once and was glad for S&W to do all of the footwork to source it for me an my mechanic, except for the coolers, for which Mr. Cool did the work and supplied everything needed.

I suspect S&W is marking the parts up more now than they once did, or I got less of a mark-up because they supplied so much for me at once.

Cheers!
-Greg
Old 01-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #19
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
These manicooler things seem to be an issue. Having never seen one, why not just get a truck manifold and wrap it. Then run the exhaust into the mixing elbow? These engines must have been used for other purposes? My entire exhaust is wrapped, I'm keel cooled. My engine room is no hotter than the engine room in my previous GB.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #20
STB
Guru

Also, what about the $1,103.30 one from Diesel Parts Direct?
-- https://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/zz90054

Isn't that the right model?

If not, I might be able to help...if I knew what I was looking for. Can you post any numbers you have?

Thanks!
-Greg

Tags
charley morgan, manifold, perkins 6.354, trawler 30-40'