Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
Anchorages 30-40 miles N of Sidney BC

I am heading out of Sidney bound for Prince William Sound and looking for local advice on a good anchorage for the first night out. I have made the trip from Nanaimo before so have my log from that trip for the balance of the trip, but hoping that someone who is familiar with the area can suggest a couple of options for area mentioned.

My boat has 5' draft and is 58' loa.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
A very pleasant spot is Pirates Cove Marine Park on Decourcy Island, just south of Nanaimo. Well protected, although can get crowded in the summer.

Pirates Cove Marine Provincial Park - BC Parks
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We much prefer going direct from Sidney to Nanaimo and anchoring near Mark Bay south of Newcastle Is. Second choice is Silva Bay on Gabriola Is. Third choice is across from Ladysmith near the SYC outstation and south of Dodd Narrows. Waggoners Cruising Guide has many more suggestions closer to Sidney.

What dates are you heading north through Sidney?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #4

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
We are planning to leave Sidney June 7 and not go too far the first day as I want to test out the systems that Philbrooks is working on right now. I prefer a quiet anchorage to a park, but any safe anchorage will work.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The book to look at is Anne Vipond's Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage, updated this year. Everything you need to know. There are many opportunities in the Gulf Islands. At some point you need to start the long run, crossing the Strait of Georgia. We like the Pender Harbour area as it allows a 10 hour opportunity to run north. Next stop is Prideaux Haven or Squirrel Cove.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Annette Inlet on Prevost Island is a quiet little anchorage and well protected as well. Just be aware of the rock near the entrance. Usually less crowded than other spots.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #7

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Waves of Grace
Vessel Model: Universal 36
Go anchor in behind Russell Island (at the mouth of Fulford Harbour) for your first night out. Not far from Sidney, it is usually pretty quiet and you can have a nice hike around the island.

From there we usually go to Clam Bay (East side of Thetis) and then to Nanaimo. Occasionally we go to Montague Harbour and then make the run to Nanaimo.

Pirates Cove is lovely but not our favorite if the weather is up, I've left there in a hurry after dark when unforecast Northerlies cropped up. Pirates Cove and I have an uneasy relationship.....
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
There's Ganges and Long Harbour on Saltspring, or Montague on Galiano. Those will be busy (Long Hbr will be quiet) that weekend. If the weather is calm you can anchor north of the park (outside the actual harbour) at Montague. A nice spot in calm weather is the cove just north of Conover (sp?) cove on Wallace Is. On the big Island there's Maple Bay, anchor well in close to Birds Eye Cove and visit the marina/pub there. Further up is Telegraph Harbour on Thetis/Kuper, or Ladysmith Harbour (anchor behind the islands opposite the town).
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
there are so many spots between Sydney and Nanaimo.. just take your pick. We used to make the jump from Port Townsend to Nanaimo with a touch n go in SYD or S. Pender for customs on the way North.. then short hop on the trip South. Then the next day Nanaimo to Desolation on the second day.. and that was in a 8kt trawler. We started to do the second day as a short hop to Jedidiah Island as it is a short run if the Straits are being uncooperative and a really cool place.. you do have to bow anchor and stern tie to rings in the rocks but it is a great place to walk (or run).
Have fun.. it is a great coast to explore!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote