The Perfect "Loop" Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flagold

Veteran Member
OK, I'm a little biased, I'll admit that. *As a result of our trawler movies we get questions on "loop" boats quite often an I thought I'd post one of the replies:

<h3 style="font-size:12px;background-color:transparent;font-weight:normal;width:375px;padding:0px;margin:0px;border:0px;">Trawlers</h3>I am 58 and and will be able to retire in a couple of years or so. My wife and I want to cruise around in our own boat for an extended cruise. We were thinking of a sailboat, but I am beginning to drift towards a trawler, especially since seeing your videos.*

Matt, what do you think would be the advantage of a trawler over a sailboat? We would not want to spend over $40,000.00 if we can help it.*

We want to do the great loop.*

Thanks.*

Ron:

We thought of sail at first as well, but that idea was quickly discarded by short trips on portions of the loop with our C-Dory (and that was also a candidate at first). *Main problem with the sailboat is that it really isn't a sailboat on the loop, it is a motorboat. *Vast sections are not amenable to sail, with bridges, very close quarters, sheltered passages, etc. *Just to many problems for the fraction of the time spent sailing. *If we wanted to go outside and sail the Atlantic up the coast, that would be fine, but that isn't doing the loop either, and in the end we summed up our health (she was bucked off a horse, I crashed an airplane - 2 bodies with O backs) and decided the sailboat wasn't practical or realistic at our stage no matter how we sliced it.

Then came the perfect boat - an old Prairie trawler that had been loved, then discarded as a fish boat, and then loved again by an old solo bluewater sailor trying to bring it back. *He had put in a new 52 hp engine, fridge, stove top, shaft, A/C, overhauled the electrical and entire plumbing. *Then came divorce . . . and we now have the boat, still no interior and we don't think we'll put one in, we do fine with a couple chairs and a card table or mix and match for whatever we're doing. *Electronics I installed (I had plenty of that in Aircraft). *The draft is under 3 feet - huge factor for a good loop boat, you can get into all the places most want to go, most of the time without the dingy. *With a flybridge you have sightseeing at its best, and that's another reason for a flybridge trawler (maybe the best reason of all). *Looking down, there is a safety factor in navigating shoals if the water is right, and looking ahead and behind as well for obstacles, or landmarks. *Price on Praries is anywhere from $50K for a loved one to $25K for a fishfixerupper. *The boat itself is a Hargrave design of the usual 70's tank specification for fiberglass layup - 2 shaft seals and a prop protecting keel, sail rudder (can turn in its own length with practice). *It's not a go fast boat with any horsepower, but that's not what we boat for anyway. *I do hope this helps answer your question. *Very best of luck in finding your boat! *Matt Mattson

[video=[MEDIA=youtube]XjryApXHZKo[/MEDIA]]

<<sail rudder (can turn in its own length with practice).>>

Having owned a Prairie 29 for 6 years, I will agree with everything he said except this....unless of course you have a bow and stern thruster and the assistance of a harbor tug. The rudder on a P29 is 12x18 inches. And the amount of freeboard and windage is very significant. I will put it to you this way....you cannot complete a turn into a slip from a "normal width" fairway. You have to turn half way in, back out, turn some more and maybe even back out again to complete the whole maneuver. Heaven forbid if you have a 30 foot slip....which means your fairway is sized accordingly....ie NARROW!

We did not call our steering wheel or helm by those names. We called it an HRD....Heading Requester Device. You moved it to put in your request for a heading change....whether it actually happened or not is a whole 'nuther story!!! And you can back up at almost full power with the HRD hard over in any direction and the boat will go wherever it pleases.....usually straight!!!!....or in the opposite direction of the rudder.

I will say this. It is a very rewarding experience learning how to handle the boat and it will make you a damn good boat handler. You will also need to be very familiar with how the boat prop walks as that will be a huge part of your strategy in handling the boat. Notice I say "strategy"??? You build the strategy and execute it....what actually happens....who knows??!!!

In closing, we absolutely loved the P29. It is a HUGE 29 footer. We sold it for financial purposes at the time and do regret it a bit....although that is what we had to do. If we found a cherry one for sale, we would have a hard time not buying it. I would get the later model ones with the glass windows and the steel window frames as well as covered aft deck. Their interior layout is a bit different...open vs builtins. And they usually had the 85hp 4236 versus the 4108 or 4164. There were only 55 P29s made....we had hull #55 and it still lives in the area and we are happy that it is being well taken care of.

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 7th of March 2011 02:26:43 PM

Coupla pics of the "Prairie Dog" Definitely a stout stubby handsome lil fella(the boat....not the bald dude with the surfboard)!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Monday 7th of March 2011 02:09:56 PM

Attachments

• p29a.jpg
    p29a.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 503
  • p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 556
Thanks for the heads up....an awfully llimited ad....haha. I would say I would respond to the guy but that always gets me in trouble and I end up with another boat!!! I might respond anyway...haha.

And to anyone else reading, Atlantic ended up acquiring the molds from Prairie and built the Atlantic 30 LRC. Their interior is a bit different as the galley is down and the lower helm is on the port side. But don't forget them when you search. There is a VERY nice one on YW.....the ONLY issue I have is that it has TWO Volvo 120hp diesels packed into the engine space....a total waste of space and hardware and money. If it was a single, I still probably couldn't hack it but my wife would surely find a way!!!

Baker wrote:

Coupla pics of the "Prairie Dog" Definitely a stout stubby handsome lil fella(the boat....not the bald dude with the surfboard)!!!

Nice looking boat--- Flybridge and all******** JohnP

It is a nice looking rig. Very similar to the 34 Mainship I had....and wished I never sold.

Attachments

• attitude.jpg
    attitude.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 217
jleonard wrote:

It is a nice looking rig. Very similar to the 34 Mainship I had....and wished I never sold.
jleonard.* You perfer the 34MS to your current boat?* Or just sellers regret?

JohnP

JohnP
No not just sellers regret. Wife wanted more space to do the loop. I would have "suffered".
Had the boat where I wanted it except for a transom door, but I had that project all planned out.

I had *repowered the boat, re-gennied (is that a word?), all the decks were rebuilt, etc.
Oh well, life goes on.
biggrin.gif

jleonard wrote:

JohnP
No not just sellers regret. Wife wanted more space to do the loop. I would have "suffered".
Had the boat where I wanted it except for a transom door, but I had that project all planned out.

I had *repowered the boat, re-gennied (is that a word?), all the decks were rebuilt, etc.
Sounds like someone got a great boat.

Oh well, life goes on.
biggrin.gif

I always liked the galley down, Albin40 with the single.

Does your boat have a queen berth in the aft cabin?

Once you get her the way you want I am sure you will be happy.

JohnP

The perfect "Loop" boat is the one that you've got! *get out there (safely) and just do it... little boats, bigger boats, boats with flybridges or without... doesn't matter... just figure out what are your priorities!

Delia Rosa wrote:

The perfect "Loop" boat is the one that you've got! *get out there (safely) and just do it... little boats, bigger boats, boats with flybridges or without... doesn't matter... just figure out what are your priorities!

AMEN to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's great to write a post that the moderators and maybe the guru's *might agee with!!!

Delia Rosa wrote:

The perfect "Loop" boat is the one that you've got! *get out there (safely) and just do it...
I agree you can plan it forever, but just doing it is probably best!

JohnP

jleonard wrote:

We cross shopped the Mainship 34 as well as the Californian 34. *Both were just a tad more money at the time. *But money really had nothing to do with it. *It was love at first sight for the Admiral,,,,and that is all she wrote. *When your wife falls in love with a boat, nothing but good times ahead!!!

"When your wife falls in love with a boat, nothing but good times ahead!!!"

Amen brother!

jleonard,
What was it that you liked so much about the M34? I was surprised when a fisherman in Thorne Bay retired, gave his fish boat to his daughter and bought an M34. Looks a bit like a fish boat as it's got a big hydraulic anchor winch on the fore deck and a big stove pipe coming up out of the cabin. When I had my 25' Albin I wanted an M34 myself but you've owned one so I'm interested in your take on it. For openers** ..Why did you re-power and what did you put in.

By the way I think the perfect loop boat should be short and wide. Lots of space, thruster or thrusters, AC gen and possibly AC. Best one I can think of here on TF is the IG. Also a Sundowner. If a small boat and budget are on the table I'd go w an Albin 25. Some house boats like the Cruise-a-Home are more seaworthy than they look so it's possible the best loop boat could be of that type. But boats are a purchase of passion so most folke just buy what turns them on.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 11:45:03 AM

Delia Rosa wrote:

wink.gif

nomadwilly wrote:

*Best one I can think of here on TF is the IG.

What size IG is the best one Eric?

JohnP

JohnP wrote:

nomadwilly wrote:

Best one I can think of here on TF is the IG.

What size IG is the best one Eric?

JohnP
Obviously the 32 with the flybridge.

dwhatty wrote:Obviously the 32 with the flybridge.
LOL ..... It kinda looks like this:

Attachments

• dave hawkins ig 32.jpg
    dave hawkins ig 32.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 71
There is no perfect boat for all situations.* Get a boat.* Do the Loop.* There are many boats out there that qualify to do the Loop comfortably.* Time is running out.* I know too many people that waited for everything to be perfect to leave.* They never did, and never will.* Time ran out.

WELL SAID- DON.** GO.

JohnP

SeaHorse II wrote:

dwhatty wrote:Obviously the 32 with the flybridge.
LOL ..... It kinda looks like this:

Indeed it does. Strange that.

I always have to snicker at brokers that pitch their boats as "ready to loop now" or "equipped to loop" or "setup to loop" or even "just did the loop". Really?!?!? How, specifically, to you get a boat ready to loop before a sale? It's such a personal thing, meaning the preparation and rigging for a loop trip (or so it seems to me), that someone pitching a boat as "loop ready" is full of it. No different than saying "turn key". "Here, buy this car, it's equipped to drive to Disneyworld."

Tom-

P.S. I liked the video, but it was boring. No real shot of the people or the boat. Just horizon and a few sights from the flybridge.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 07:19:32 PM

nomadwilly wrote:

John P,

Thirty Two Foot.

I can do this....*We better get going before fuel hits 10 bucks a gallon!

Cheers-- JohnP

Moonstruck wrote:

There is no perfect boat for all situations.* Get a boat.* Do the Loop.* There are many boats out there that qualify to do the Loop comfortably.* Time is running out.* I know too many people that waited for everything to be perfect to leave.* They never did, and never will.* Time ran out.
This is definitely my motivation!* Don't want to be another one of those sad stories.*

PG....I will post another thread with a song that is dedicated directly to this subject. Check it out...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom