Old 12-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #21

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Mainship's newer 34 is probably in this class, too.

FWIW, our older (34' Mainship III) hull -- also semi-displacement -- was generally decently sea kindly, likely aided by the full keel. And of course we didn't run it "fast" (a relative term) so didn't have any significant extra expense involved simply because it was semi-displacement.

-Chris

Both the newer and older 34' only had one stateroom. I think he needs another one to store the kids in..

ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
Both the newer and older 34' only had one stateroom. I think he needs another one to store the kids in..

Ah, didn't realize the newer 34 doesn't have a second stateroom.

I knew the older one wasn't suitable, but wanted to comment on the hull form...

-Chris

Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Galaxy Girl redux?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
eseyoung wrote ...

"Full displacement. I know that the mathematical 'top speed' for such a dimensioned boat is 7-10knts...i am OK with that. For sea keeping and efficiency reasons this is a MUST"

Keeping your eye on the ball a look at the Fisher 37 or Willard 40 may bear fruit. Draft may be slightly over but the Fisher has an aft cabin.

I think most all trawlers should be FD and few are so you may have great difficulty finding a real FD boat. But if you mean it as a "MUST" there's not many ducks to line up.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Galaxy Girl redux?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
3) Full displacement. I know that the mathematical 'top speed' for such a dimensioned boat is 7-10knts...i am OK with that. For sea keeping and efficiency reasons this is a MUST

top speed for a 30-40 full displacement boat in the economy mode may be less than 6 knots...probably will be ...but depending on the waterline length unless your 30-40 foot dimension you are using is he WLL..

it might be more efficient than a semi-displacement hull...but it will be slower and not necessarily "more sea kindly"....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Got kids? Get good railings!

Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #28

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
Seems that since you have a four year old, you most likely have a job? And will use the boat weekends and vacations? That world voyaging is not likely!?

Just curious why full displacement is #1 on your list? A 40 footer will top out at 8+ knots - nowhere near 10 knots - if properly powered.

For weekend use, you open up a lot more cruising with some available speed. Likewise, sea keeping ability is not as necessary for occasional jaunts into the ocean. also, a full displacement boat May or may not be a better sea keeping boat than a semi displacement or planing boat. There can be advantages to being able to get back to a safe port BEFORE the weather kicks up.

Whenever I discuss a new boat with a buyer, I ask how and where the boat will be used. That determines what sort of boat may be the perfect fit. Just like a Hummer might be great for four wheeling, it's not the best choice for driving down I-95. Likewise, a Nordhavn can be perfect to head out to the Caribbean, there are better choices for the Great Loop.

I may have missed it, but how do you plan on using this boat over the next several years?

Quite a few years ago, had a boat close to your wish list: 40' LOA. Single 453 GM - cruised efficiently at 6.5 kts. We used it here in Miami weekends then cruised one summer Block Island and back with our 7 & 2 yo boys. I worked in film at the time with feast or famine schedules, so had the time to enjoy my VERY SLOW trawler.

With close to $300k to invest, you have a lot to choose from.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Yes. Galaxy Girl again. Where is she anyway ?
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Guru

Helmsman 38 Pilothouse

[QUOTE=eseyoung;201433]Strictly a trivial pursuit at this point but if things play out the way i hope they will we will be boat shopping in the fall. I have a feeling we will outgrow our 'pocket trawler' fairly soon.

Your beam is on the small side for interior space. I would suggest you look at the Helmsman 38 Pilothouse. You can find a nice used boat for close to your budget and get a lot of boat.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Here's a boat that accommodates almost all of your requirements and definitely a full displacement craft. Go to 33' Nauticat Pilothouse Motorsailor.

West Yachts LLC (Anacortes, WA)

SEveral price reductions have been made and another is probably in order. I saw this vessel today in the water in Anacortes WA. The whole boat looks really good especially for her age. Has had extensive refits and the owner has just been moved to Russia in his work. Highly motivated it would seem but it's hard to say how much money he could spend there in Russia.

If someone is serious about Mystic Knot I could take more pics and post. Like most aft cabin boats she lacks deck space but MPG and seaworthyness seems to be almost unquestionable. It will help if you like blue. Lots to keep up. New teak deck, old Perkins engine and lots and lots of rigging.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #32

City: St Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Here's a boat that accommodates almost all of your requirements and definitely a full displacement craft. Go to 33' Nauticat Pilothouse Motorsailor. West Yachts LLC (Anacortes, WA) SEveral price reductions have been made and another is probably in order. I saw this vessel today in the water in Anacortes WA. The whole boat looks really good especially for her age. Has had extensive refits and the owner has just been moved to Russia in his work. Highly motivated it would seem but it's hard to say how much money he could spend there in Russia. If someone is serious about Mystic Knot I could take more pics and post. Like most aft cabin boats she lacks deck space but MPG and seaworthyness seems to be almost unquestionable. It will help if you like blue. Lots to keep up. New teak deck, old Perkins engine and lots and lots of rigging.
That is indeed a damn fine lookin boat for the money!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #33

City: Baltimore
Thanks for the ideas. I am not at this point I am not necessarily looking for specific boats for sale. But I do welcome the ads because they come with pics. I am just trying to get some ideas...strictly a trivial conversation at this point.

I am not offering a commission to find my boat :-)

As for how I use the boat...a little bit of everything. We won't be making passages to the south Pacific or going Europe. But the Bahamas is a real possibility as is the loop. We do have large chunks of time where we don't have to physically be at work. For the past 5 years we have been traveling 90 to 100 nights a year in our rv. Our longest conservative trips away is usually 8 weeks or so.

I am steering away from a semi displacement hull simply based on second hand tails and reading. Some call it the best of both worlds...as I understand it brings the worst of both too. If I wanted to go fast 10knts + I would seriously consider a sedan bridge. We like the layout and there are always tons for sale in our price range and in our area.

As for the budget. The wife reminds me that we dont need to max it out. I remind her that it is 'home' for a quarter of the year.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Take a look at the Willard 40 pilothouse trawler. It may have two heads, if so it meets all your requirements, depending upon equipment. The Krogen 42 meets your requirements with the exception that it is 42 ft.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #35

I looked at a few Krogen 42's on YW. I think they are my favorite. All of the ones there were listed in the sub 200 so that will let some budge in the budget. I think everything that is currently listed is sold but it maybe a better (or worse?) market when i am ready to make a move.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #36
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
The perfect boat is pretty. One that you look back upon as you are leaving and sigh contentedly...

This disqualifies most boats.

That said, the OP's perfect boat may be a houseboat.

Just saying...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
The perfect boat is pretty. One that you look back upon as you are leaving and sigh contentedly...

This disqualifies most boats.

That said, the OP's perfect boat may be a houseboat.

Just saying...

Not sure if that is meant to be 'snarkey' or not. But I have owned 2 house boats over the years. Ok, one was my dad's, but that seems to counts here.

Both, at the time, were perfect made a lot of good memories and I still can smile looking back at them...just sayin.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #38
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Not snarky at all. Houseboats are way under appreciated. I keep telling my parents they should get one. I`d love to have one on the lake here.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
And some houseboats are pretty seaworthy for something like the loop or well timed jaunts to the Bahamas...if it's in great shape...probably a lot safer than some of the derelict/dangerus "bluewater" boats or unseasoned captains that make those runs.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #40
FF
Guru

As for the budget. The wife reminds me that we dont need to max it out. I remind her that it is 'home' for a quarter of the year.

1/4 of the year means you wont be burdened with the massive piles of stuff folks cant seem to discard.

So a smaller 32 -35 ft boat should do fine IF you dont need to sleep an army of visitors.

I would look at the Gulfstars , as many have no wood , no buried plywood decks and are easy to put to bed for 3/4 of the year.

Left or right loop, Bahamas or long shore to T-Dad , no big deal.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote