Pender Harbour grounding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point. How many "Penders" do you folks need up there?

When you are the surveyor, you get to name a few things after yourself, right?

Daniel Pender was the surveyor onboard the HMS Plumper.

BTW, Pender Harbour has fantastic outlook at the top of Mt. Daniel. I highly recommend it. Take your nitroglycerin with you, as it is quite steep though.

Dave:

Just got in, no grounded boats visible. It is low tide right now, so any groundings will not be for long.

When you are the surveyor, you get to name a few things after yourself, right?

Daniel Pender was the surveyor onboard the HMS Plumper.
You are correct about Daniel Pender serving aboard Plumper. He also mastered the Hecate and was Commander on the Beaver.

I believe it was Captain George Henry Richards who named Pender Harbour and Daniel Point after Daniel Pender.

Captain Richards was also responsible for a lot of south coast names;
False Creek, Brocton Point, Coal Harbour, Mount Garibald and several places in Howe Sound and Jervis Inlet.

So much history on this coast that most who pass through just don't know the life and times that went into building their playground.

Last edited:
Any updates on the news HW? It looked like the pumps were getting the water out, but where can they haul that thing for repairs? At least they have some good weather. The only seas will be from the ferries and the curious.

According to some online info, Bellissima has a displacement tonnage of 95 so Ocean Pacific in Campbell River, for one, has a Travelift of 110 MT. Whether they could handle the beam & length I don't know.

According to some online info, Bellissima has a displacement tonnage of 95 so Ocean Pacific in Campbell River, for one, has a Travelift of 110 MT. Whether they could handle the beam & length I don't know.
If it even stays in Canada, my guess would be Burrard Dry Dock in Vancouver.

Be interesting to watch.
Wouldn't surprise me if they just freighted it back to CA.

Maybe just fire sale it..."gee I was thinking of an upgrade anyway."

On Mitchell Is. in the North Arm, Arrow Marine has a Travellift that is plenty big enough. at 330 tons.

If it even stays in Canada, my guess would be Burrard Dry Dock in Vancouver.

Be interesting to watch.
Wouldn't surprise me if they just freighted it back to CA.

Maybe just fire sale it..."gee I was thinking of an upgrade anyway."

Just talked with Ocean Pacific. They could certainly do it and would jump at the opportunity, but think it will probably go down to Vancouver, where there are a number of capable yards as mentioned.

On Mitchell Is. in the North Arm, Arrow Marine has a Travellift that is plenty big enough. at 330 tons.
Yup and if it doesn't work out they can load it in trucks and bury it at Cache Creek.

The fellow with the green boathouse in Secret Cove was somehow connected to Jack Charles and he invited me to the launch of Hotei way back when.

Also wonder if Westbay could do it, they have a 200t rail into the river. Or did have(???).
Don't know about Crescent Beach or Maple Ridge any more or if either would have been big enough anyway.

Last edited:
Probably a charter, the captain (until he is replaced ) will oversee getting the boat repaired... It's a shame the hazards getting in and out of Pender are well marked on the charts. There are even channel markers. A person has to be alert when in the NW waters.

Ok, I get the connection. To the question, depends, I guess.

Interesting question. Assuming owner, guests, and captain or crew, I'd keep the number and qualifications of persons there who could actually contribute and assist. I would get everyone else away. As an owner I would have likely stayed unless I just thought I'd be more in the way, than helping.

We were in Pender the night they went aground, and though we don't know where they did it exactly one of the guys from my club was running divers out to them and it looks like they hit a rock, destroyed the props and drove the rudders up into the ship allowing the water in quickly. They tried to run into Pender with the water coming in so the video does not show where they grounded. Last report they were trying to stabilize it enough to tow to Vancouver.

Last edited:
This morning, in Pender Harbour, I got the skinny on this rescue from one of the rescuers. Hope I don't mis-state any of this:
The boat hit the rock just outside PH, around Daniel Point. The boat was going about 20 knots when they hit, so pushed the struts through the hull, allowing a fast flood into the stern of the hull. They made it into PH, going up on the Skardon Islands. By this time, they had called for assistance and the PH RCMSAR were tasked, along with the CCG. RCMSAR got there quickly, with very experienced crew aboard. They carry a pump, and when they went aboard, the stern was down about 15 ft. One of the SAR members went and rounded up as many pumps as she could find, so by the time they got the vessel stabilized, there were 7 pumps running.

When the CCG arrived, the pumps were staying ahead of incoming water, so JRCC stood the volunteers down, but they stayed at the request of the CCG, who correctly thought they should use all of the available resources. The holes were covered and filled with foam, so the boat could be moved, then it was towed to Shelter Island.

The owner had been aboard at the time of the mishap, but left as soon as he could. He was called back twice, but got away on a float plane within hours.

If your boat was in peril would you get on a plane and leave it?
This is the question many have or will ask.

To some a boat is a love affair, to many more it is part of the family, but to quite a few, just an object that is insured.

The average boat owner and maybe even some professional crews are really not prepared to do anything but be on the boat. Maintanance is a challenge, let alone salvage.

Once the insurance adjuster (salvage coordinator) gets on scene...it's better that the owner stays away...rarely a help in my experience.

This is the question many have or will ask.

To some a boat is a love affair, to many more it is part of the family, but to quite a few, just an object that is insured.

The average boat owner and maybe even some professional crews are really not prepared to do anything but be on the boat. Maintanance is a challenge, let alone salvage.

Once the insurance adjuster (salvage coordinator) gets on scene...it's better that the owner stays away...rarely a help in my experience.

I might leave, but only after answering any questions law enforcement had and being told I was no longer needed there. Leaving prior to being told you're no longer needed brings about suspicion, whether that is fair or not. Just ask the US swimmers now held in Brazil.

Professional captain hired on board?

Owner part of the watch rotation?

If not, not many questions to answer.....and certainly acceptable by phone...till any depositions.

Last edited:
Yeah, again I think it is a difference between most of us where our boats represents a not insignificant % of our net worth vs the truly wealthy.

Professional captain hired on board?

Owner part of the watch rotation?

If not, not many questions to answer.....and certainly acceptable by phone...till any depositions.

Except they'd talked him out of leaving twice and he left without telling them, if you believe what was said. Now, I don't know.

Except they'd talked him out of leaving twice and he left without telling them, if you believe what was said. Now, I don't know.

What is the saying. " Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies"

What is the saying. " Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies"

Or per Roger Goodell, "Refuse to talk to me and you're suspended. Talk to me and you are as well, since I already made up my mind."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom