Old 08-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #41
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
The only person that I know well that has a boat in a similar category would take his family, leave the boat in the hands of the paid captain, and make alternate vacation plans.
Reminds me of the salvage job Don Mackenzie did on Carlos Slim's yacht in Malibu Rapids. A good read, at least: Adventures in Mike's Life: The Mexican Billionaires Yacht, The Golden Cell

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
We were in Pender the night they went aground, and though we don't know where they did it exactly one of the guys from my club was running divers out to them and it looks like they hit a rock, destroyed the props and drove the rudders up into the ship allowing the water in quickly. They tried to run into Pender with the water coming in so the video does not show where they grounded. Last report they were trying to stabilize it enough to tow to Vancouver.

LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #43
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
This morning, in Pender Harbour, I got the skinny on this rescue from one of the rescuers. Hope I don't mis-state any of this:
The boat hit the rock just outside PH, around Daniel Point. The boat was going about 20 knots when they hit, so pushed the struts through the hull, allowing a fast flood into the stern of the hull. They made it into PH, going up on the Skardon Islands. By this time, they had called for assistance and the PH RCMSAR were tasked, along with the CCG. RCMSAR got there quickly, with very experienced crew aboard. They carry a pump, and when they went aboard, the stern was down about 15 ft. One of the SAR members went and rounded up as many pumps as she could find, so by the time they got the vessel stabilized, there were 7 pumps running.

When the CCG arrived, the pumps were staying ahead of incoming water, so JRCC stood the volunteers down, but they stayed at the request of the CCG, who correctly thought they should use all of the available resources. The holes were covered and filled with foam, so the boat could be moved, then it was towed to Shelter Island.

The owner had been aboard at the time of the mishap, but left as soon as he could. He was called back twice, but got away on a float plane within hours.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 AM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Thanks for the update.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:27 AM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The owner had been aboard at the time of the mishap, but left as soon as he could. He was called back twice, but got away on a float plane within hours.
I find that very disturbing.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:56 AM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
If your boat was in peril would you get on a plane and leave it?
This is the question many have or will ask.

To some a boat is a love affair, to many more it is part of the family, but to quite a few, just an object that is insured.

The average boat owner and maybe even some professional crews are really not prepared to do anything but be on the boat. Maintanance is a challenge, let alone salvage.

Once the insurance adjuster (salvage coordinator) gets on scene...it's better that the owner stays away...rarely a help in my experience.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
This is the question many have or will ask.

To some a boat is a love affair, to many more it is part of the family, but to quite a few, just an object that is insured.

The average boat owner and maybe even some professional crews are really not prepared to do anything but be on the boat. Maintanance is a challenge, let alone salvage.

Once the insurance adjuster (salvage coordinator) gets on scene...it's better that the owner stays away...rarely a help in my experience.
I might leave, but only after answering any questions law enforcement had and being told I was no longer needed there. Leaving prior to being told you're no longer needed brings about suspicion, whether that is fair or not. Just ask the US swimmers now held in Brazil.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #48
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Professional captain hired on board?

Owner part of the watch rotation?

If not, not many questions to answer.....and certainly acceptable by phone...till any depositions.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #49
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Yeah, again I think it is a difference between most of us where our boats represents a not insignificant % of our net worth vs the truly wealthy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Professional captain hired on board?

Owner part of the watch rotation?

If not, not many questions to answer.....and certainly acceptable by phone...till any depositions.
Except they'd talked him out of leaving twice and he left without telling them, if you believe what was said. Now, I don't know.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #51
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Except they'd talked him out of leaving twice and he left without telling them, if you believe what was said. Now, I don't know.
What is the saying. " Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies"

mbevins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:26 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
What is the saying. " Ask me no questions, I tell you no lies"
Or per Roger Goodell, "Refuse to talk to me and you're suspended. Talk to me and you are as well, since I already made up my mind."