PC nav software showing Current Arrows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pdxstriper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hot Tuna
Vessel Make
2002 American Tug 23 #24
Hi,
Below is a screen shot showing Arrows indicating Current flow thru passes. I used this feature on Nobletec 10+ years ago. I could 'play' the time forward to, for instance, see what direction and magnitude at some point in the future (ie the arrows got bigger for times of greater flow, reduced in size for less flow) . Very useful.

So my question... I am shopping for new PC-based nav software. Wondering which other packages have this feature. This screen shot is from OpenCPN so it obviously does. I hear great things about Coastal Explorer. Does CE have such a feature? Others?

Thanks,
Pete

OpenCPN arrows.jpg

My Navionics program has that feature, but I use it on an iPad and not sure if available for a PC.

My Navionics program has that feature, but I use it on an iPad and not sure if available for a PC.

Yikes! I am an avid Navionics/iPad user and have never seen arrows like those shown in the screenshot above. My Navionics does show Currents at various random points on the chart but not at every passage.

Perhaps I have something setup wrong? Appreciate any advice to get me working right.

Pete

I use CE and love it. My Navionics also show current arrows, but I think CE is better. The bigger the arrow the more current.

Navionics does not work on PC or Mac. They have a web based route planning tool but it doesn't have any position input so can't be used real-time.

Hi,
So my question... I am shopping for new PC-based nav software. Wondering which other packages have this feature. This screen shot is from OpenCPN so it obviously does. I hear great things about Coastal Explorer. Does CE have such a feature? Others?

Time Zero has that feature, one for tides, one for currents.

-Chris

Time Zero has that feature, one for tides, one for currents.

-Chris

Ditto on the Time Zero on the PC. Can be directly linked with the TZT3 MFD with the tides and current displayed on both. A bit of overkill, but...

iSailor has that option for tide/currents. I use that on an iPad.

Also use Tide Times app on Android phone, I use that more and more lately.

In CE you can tie legs of a route to the nearest current station and then it will help you determine the best time to start the route, or the time it will take when you plan to leave. You can look pretty far out in the future on tides and currents by entering the date.

Tom

Just be aware that all of these programs use the same sources of current data. In some areas it is pretty accurate, in others it is a complete fantasy. "Never depend on a single source of navigational data" as the saying goes.

Just be aware that all of these programs use the same sources of current data. In some areas it is pretty accurate, in others it is a complete fantasy. "Never depend on a single source of navigational data" as the saying goes.
Just wondering, which areas are complete fantasy and what source do you have that tells you so?

Hi,
Below is a screen shot showing Arrows indicating Current flow thru passes. I used this feature on Nobletec 10+ years ago. I could 'play' the time forward to, for instance, see what direction and magnitude at some point in the future (ie the arrows got bigger for times of greater flow, reduced in size for less flow) . Very useful.

Thanks,
Pete

View attachment 122553

Hi -
Coastal explorer does it. Both Windows and iOS. Love it
Dan

Nobletec is now Time Zero so it will be familiar for you to use but with many updates. Depending on you usage you may even want to check out Timezero for iPad as it likely does everything you want/need including radar overlay. Good luck..!

CE does it as does TZ. One thing I like in TZ is the planning optimization and the ability to click on a current to get more data. Super helpful around here.

Attachments

• currents.jpg
    currents.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom