Old 03-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Kayak racks for Trawlers?

Now that we have 2 kayaks, we need a good place to put them where they are secure but not in the way. We don't have a hard top and I would greatly prefer not to drill into the forward deck for mounts. I also don't want anything that might rub against the teak top rail. Although if I had to install a simple piece of foam on the teak rail that would be ok. I've seen a couple of "rack" styles that mount to the rail uprights. This one from Magma seems like it might work. I'm thinking of mounting them inboard just aft of the major curve of the bow. Does anybody have any experience with this style or have any other ideas?

R10-626

Thanks,
Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Now that we have 2 kayaks, we need a good place to put them where they are secure but not in the way. We don't have a hard top and I would greatly prefer not to drill into the forward deck for mounts. I also don't want anything that might rub against the teak top rail. Although if I had to install a simple piece of foam on the teak rail that would be ok. I've seen a couple of "rack" styles that mount to the rail uprights. This one from Magma seems like it might work. I'm thinking of mounting them inboard just aft of the major curve of the bow. Does anybody have any experience with this style or have any other ideas?

R10-626

Thanks,
Ken
Kinda hard without more details about the dimensions of your boat.

However, perhaps if you had some sort of hoist that could get them above the walkway onto the racks you linked to attached to the side of the flybridge.... would work.

I do that on my mainship, however, with the flybridge overhang, the kayak just sits on the overhang. Also, my kayak is 90 lbs, tandem pedal kayak... way heavier than most, but works excellent. The racks would take the place of the overhang.

I could argue against mounting them on the rail.... get in the way when locking or docking.
Attached Thumbnails
Back-S.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Kinda hard without more details about the dimensions of your boat.

However, perhaps if you had some sort of hoist that could get them above the walkway onto the racks you linked to attached to the side of the flybridge.... would work.

I do that on my mainship, however, with the flybridge overhang, the kayak just sits on the overhang. Also, my kayak is 90 lbs, tandem pedal kayak... way heavier than most, but works excellent. The racks would take the place of the overhang.

I could argue against mounting them on the rail.... get in the way when locking or docking.
I definitely would not want to mount them so that they might interfere with docking - which is why I mentioned mounting them inboard. My boat has so much flare that there is essentially a "dead" space that the kayaks might occupy inboard just aft of the major flare of the bow. I did consider the upper rail which certainly could work, I just would prefer not to have to lift them up there as I would have to do that manually. The kayaks I have are about 30-35lbs each.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
How about outboard of the rails on each side in a hammock-like netting? It keeps the fore and side decks open. They might need repositioning for some docking/rafting.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We keep ours on the flybridge. We have a ‘Europa’ styled boat with unused space outboard of the flybridge. Kayak to starboard; folding bikes to port. I built a davit which makes them easy to get ‘em up or down.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
We keep ours on the flybridge. We have a ‘Europa’ styled boat with unused space outboard of the flybridge. Kayak to starboard; folding bikes to port. I built a davit which makes them easy to get ‘em up or down.
I've heard the flybridge is great for storage.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Temp rig them where you think you want them, then go to your lower helm (if you have one) and check your sightlines for occlusion, esp to port!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I had the Magma folding kayak rack on my previous Nordic 32 and it worked very well. It did not interfere with dock structure and folded completely out of the way when the kayak was elsewhere.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Alamitos Bay Marina
Vessel Name: DESTINY
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588 Extend Hull & Hard Top
https://www.storeyourboard.com/stain...-rail-mounted/

we have this style give or take on our boat one kayak on each side
here is picture from a distance. works great, easy to launch and restrive
mdstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #10

City: Washington
We carry ours on the flybridge railing. They are 11 foot Hobie kayaks. My wife has to stand on her tip toes, but we can get them up and down without undue effort.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3391.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
We went through this process, where to put the kayaks that will be secure but not cause a back injury. Many boats use J hooks outside the flybridge or boat deck railing, which may work in your case. I'd suggest, though, that you test the ergonomics of the lifting required in securing and deploying the boats before making a decision. We have a big foredeck to lay them down on, and it doesn't impair the view forward from the lower helm. Easy to launch and retrieve in our case.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Model: Custom 45' Steel Trawler
I tig'd up an aluminum rack for the boat deck...4 kayaks worth of stowage.
Attached Thumbnails
yakn.jpg  
AKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #13
Guru

City: Boston Area
There are some pretty impressive inflatable kayaks available if you don't already have your kayaks or are considering replacing them. West Marine carries these for $499.
Attached Thumbnails
81C7fE6XLNL._SL1500_.jpg  
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The stern of your boat is similar to ours.
When we were bringing a Laser (13' x 5' ) I had a 1" SS (same as other railings nearby) support added above the sliding hatch from the aft deck to the aft cabin. My criteria were to get the Laser up high enough to walk under it, keep from interfering with the sliding hatch, strong enough to support the 150# Laser far enough from the upper deck so nothing further aft would be required.
Once we bought a pair of Kayaks, that was a natural to stack both kayaks on it. Each kayak weighs under 45#, the smaller one closer to 35# so getting them up there is still not an issue.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
This is what I have for a kayak rack.

https://www.garhauermarine.com/stanc...yak-racks.html

They clamp to the station posts and can be mounted inside or out. Because my railings are mounted quite close to the edge, I mounted them on the inside. They are extremely well made out of top quality stainless steel. The only difference should be the size of the station they clamp to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170517_110348.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	86110

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #16
Guru

My kayak is mounted with a pair of Magma mounts on the boat deck (roof of the salon). It is inside the railings because it would obstruct walk-around access if mounted outboard of the rails. I have a crane on the boat deck that I use to raise and lower the kayak and the
Portland Pudgy which also lives up there. My kayak is a 14-foot Hobie mirage.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
You may want to consider inflatables. We keep ours in duffle bags which allows us to move and store them easily.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #18

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post

R10-626

Thanks,
Ken
I've noticed that most cruisers keep them on the flybridge rails, as do I, I use the Magma Kayak Rail Mounts. They are very sturdy and do not require and drilling or modifications to the boat at all. They are very easy to install and very secure. I use my davit crane to raise and lower the kayaks.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Friend of ours, now out of boating, had a rack built for his two 9' kayaks.
These are the best shot I have of the setup as I was not taking the shots for this purpose.
It was built of aluminum, square 3" tube , two arms carpet covered for each kayak with tie down provision..
The kayaks overhung the walkaround at the back so interfered somewhat but they were still able to get around.

His boat was a 40' tricabin so your boat should be able to handle somethign similar depending of course on kayak size.

I have no idea what the cost was so can't pffer any guidance there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5092.JPG   IMG_5118.JPG   IMG_5093.jpg  
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Here's how we carry ours. The kayaks are fairly lightweight (about 32 lbs) and by putting one end up and then the other, my wife and I can get them up and down pretty easily.
Attached Thumbnails
raven pic for wallpaper.jpg  
Gordon GB is offline   Reply With Quote