Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #41
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Sorry guys, some boats don't hold position well at all and constantly throttling and shifting isn't necessarily kind to your drive train. Not everyone has thrusters and not all bridge holdings are timid.

Sometimes I circle too...and sometimes my circle can be a 1/4 mile run or more back down the ICW... well timed to be a single or multiple racetrack pattern.

Plus width (depth constrained) of waterway plays a big factor.

So circling boats could be by anyone, even the best boats and boat handlers...just a question of "balanced decision making".

And waiting for a bridge opening you don't need? That's just a sign of bad seamanship on all involved.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #42
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
There ain't no holding in one position in St Augustine waiting for the Bridge of Lions opening unless slack.

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #43

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I don't think you had the right to pass into the front of the line. You made a few assumptions which could have been wrong. How did you know they were all traveling together, how did you know they were going to be slow on the other side of the bridge, requiring passing? How do you know they would all be confused by a radio call?

Just because you have a highly maneuverable, quick boat does not give you any right to pass the others while waiting for a bridge.

No, any way I look at it, you were wrong..

Sorry,

pete
Totally disagree with your view. If the powerboat can pass under the bridge without requiring an opening why should he wait and then have to pass all those boats one at a time later on? Makes no sense to me. Reminds me of the guy driving in the fast lane down the highway at the posted speed ignoring highway signs telling slower traffic to keep right. Righteous boneheads.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #44
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I always try to time my arrival at bridges. OK, bridge is five miles up, half hour til open time, I do the math and run at a mix of speeds and times to get there right on time. Always chuckle when someone passes me and then we meet right at the bridge with him circling and me going putt-putt. Dumb a$$.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #45
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Pursuit View Post
I've never understood the need to constantly circle your vessel while holding station. A good helmsman will be able to pickup the wind or current direction and put the bow into it and using small corrections with the transmission and helm hold the vessel in more or less one spot. In situations like this, I generally consider the circling vessel as one that is bearly under control and taking up way more room than necessary.
Depends. strong current, gusty wind, deep keel, difficult to keep station. My former sailboat had a direction of it's own and if line was compressed I would have to circle.

It was also highly dependent upon the boats fore and aft keeping their position. Not always the case. Times when it was a lot easier to circle.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
There ain't no holding in one position in St Augustine waiting for the Bridge of Lions opening unless slack.
or even better, a strong foul current.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #47
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
The OP posted, mostly because he heard someone calling rudely on the VHF. I would suggest that person encountered some rude behaviours among the waiting boats, and the comment was not directed at the one boat that didn't need to wait.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #48

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Damn the torpedoes. Full steam ahead, cautiously.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #49
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I always try to time my arrival at bridges. OK, bridge is five miles up, half hour til open time, I do the math and run at a mix of speeds and times to get there right on time. Always chuckle when someone passes me and then we meet right at the bridge with him circling and me going putt-putt. Dumb a$$.
I'm totally with you on that, if they are bridges you can't fit under. I used to have all those bridges as waypoints in the plotter, so easy to do.

But if you can fit under, why wait for the scheduled opening time?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #50
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I'm totally with you on that, if they are bridges you can't fit under. I used to have all those bridges as waypoints in the plotter, so easy to do.

But if you can fit under, why wait for the scheduled opening time?
I only do that on bridges I can't pass under. If I can get under the bridge, I go right past the whole herd.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #51
FF
Guru

"We ended up throwing out the anchor in the middle of the ICW."

A tiny Danforth like a 12H is worth setting , even for a 10 min wait.

Takes less time to pull it than make a big turn to get in line.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #52

City: Albany, NY
Vessel Name: Gypsy Star
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 43
I just thought to look up my GPS track for the incident. My post, and memory, seem to give the impression of weaving through a fleet. There was a lot of mental activity making sure I had an out for any unexpected move by a boat ahead but the actual boat handling was mostly with the throttles and gears slowing and stopping to wait for opening or to be sure which direction a boat ahead was committing to. The track only shows one significant diversion and no sudden moves. This was really a non-event but stuck out because of the rude radio call. BTW, I was later assured that the call did not come from anyone in the Sail to the Sun group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wappoo Track.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	96919  
Roger Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #53
Guru

Rude radio calls are the thing of the times...just watch any football game.

I have friends that sit at the dock and yell at wake makers...well actually not.... they yell at people going by too fast..."in their minds eye".

Some days when the local current approaches 3 knots...their untrained eye only catches the apparent speed and not the actual wake. Often I catch them yelling at boats only doing 3-4 knots (still water speed) but to the untrained eye and a speed over ground of 5-6...they looked like they should be producing a wake but aren't. This is usually after the tide swings and boats doing 6-7 knots (still water) before and throwing a big wake appeared they were only 3-4....who didn't get a yell at as often...until the wake hit.

So people thinking you were cutting in line or unnecessarily zigzagging through traffic are often just out of tough with experienced boating.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #54
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
I just thought to look up my GPS track for the incident. My post, and memory, seem to give the impression of weaving through a fleet. There was a lot of mental activity making sure I had an out for any unexpected move by a boat ahead but the actual boat handling was mostly with the throttles and gears slowing and stopping to wait for opening or to be sure which direction a boat ahead was committing to. The track only shows one significant diversion and no sudden moves. This was really a non-event but stuck out because of the rude radio call. BTW, I was later assured that the call did not come from anyone in the Sail to the Sun group.
Wappoo Creek, ah yes. Fortunately there is plenty of water width and depth before you get to the bridge. You were doing (though very awkwardly in my opinion) everyone a favor, safety-wise, especially if you had a following current. It really starts ripping once you get to the relatively narrow Elliot Cut.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote