Passagemakers under 46'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I built a Bruce Robert's PCF36, rigged for salmon trolling and
with pravanes. Was a great boat.

Ted

I like some of the Bruce Roberts designs. They may or may not be true passagemakers, but they are solid no-nonsense boats which would appear to take a pounding if finished off properly.

This first PCF 40 is a local Adelaide boat. I considered buying it when I was shopping for my current boat but couldn't get the price down to within my range. The second one is really nice, built in steel, from Tasmania . It is currently for sale. Used Roberts Pacific Coast Fisher 40 "ptarmigan" for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

These boats could easily be fitted with paravanes rather than sails, if this was the preference for stabilization.

The third one is a Bruce Roberts Trawler Yacht 43. I haven't seen one over here yet.

My boat is a Roberts 43, so I'll throw that model into the mix as a possible passage maker. The guy who re wrote Bebe's book mentioned this model as capable boats in the chapter where he speaks of other boats able to make long distance trips.

This is a smaller boat with a length on deck of 44' and length of water line of 38. The displacement to length ratio is what some would consider passagmaker capable at 398. It might be a bit beamy @ 15', but it makes for a nice salon. She's a heavy boat and has room for fuel and water...we can carry 1300 gallons of fuel in four tanks, and 400 gallons of water. The boat has much of what I consider good design points such as stout bulwarks, Portuguese bridge, full length deep keel, and a protected prop. The framing is stout enough for paravane stabilizers, and being made of steel, she's relatively easy to modify.

The Portuguese bridge is one of my favorite design features as to how much safer it makes one feel. It's nice to be off shore and be able to step out of the wheelhouse to enjoy the view while feeling secure

I have our below the water line hull not as efficient as it could be with two keel coolers and a bow thruster, but fuel economy seems reasonable. We tend to cruise around 1500 rpm which gets us around 2.8 mpg and between 6.8 - 7 kt. I've not measured fuel economy below this rpm range, but if I look at the Deere fuel burn/rpm chart (which is always spot on ) we should be able to get 4 mpg. She idle's @ 3 kt, and a high idle of 1000 or 1100 rpm gets us close to 5 kt.

I've had her on a few off shore trips of more than a days travel and have felt secure as to how the boat handled less than perfect conditions.

I'm a bit biased towards Roberts, but I really like the diesel duck models too.

Conall

Attachments

• IMG_20141030_180710002_HDR (800x448).jpg
    IMG_20141030_180710002_HDR (800x448).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 157
This is a 38' Monk design here in Bellingham. Looks to be a worthy candidate.
IMG_2051.JPG

Good grief. They are fearless, or maybe crazy?

I don't know about fearless, but seems they know both their and their boats limits and have the ground tackle/wisdom to know when they should sit and wait for weather openings.

We sea kayaked from Kitimat to Bella Bella leaving in late October and arriving in mid December, so know a thing or two about waiting out hurricane force storms :eek:

Thought it was a great example of what people can do when they don't look for and hold onto excuses, which usually keeps a dream from being realized.

A little craziness goes a long way to spicing up life...who'd want to be 'normal' anyways?!!?

Yes! Good points!

I can't even imagine your sea kayaking adventures. Did you ever take any video?

No, it was in 1992 so before all the handy whiz-bang computer brained electronic gizmo's of today. Did take a 4x5 Wista wooden field camera which took my avatar photo...those who know this coast will recognize Canoona Falls, in flood.

Cruising couple rounds Cape Horn in a 1976 Defever 40' Passagemaker:

40-Foot Trawler Braves Cape Horn - PassageMaker
These folks aren't that far away from land, but below 60 degrees, the Almighty may or may not be present. So, this brings me to a question. Is there any real difference between doing a long West Coast run well offshore (50-60 miles), and crossing the pond? Other than what may be a false sense of security with land under your lee?

These folks aren't that far away from land, but below 60 degrees, the Almighty may or may not be present. So, this brings me to a question. Is there any real difference between doing a long West Coast run well offshore (50-60 miles), and crossing the pond? Other than what may be a false sense of security with land under your lee?

Yes, want your experiences. enquiring mind?

Ted

?.. Is there any real difference between doing a long West Coast run well offshore (50-60 miles), and crossing the pond? Other than what may be a false sense of security with land under your lee?

We've done both. 60 miles even a 100 miles from shore, you have a lot more rescue options than when you're 1500 miles from shore, well beyond any helicopter help.

Experiences? None, so far. I'm still in the "have money, looking for a boat" stage. I'm trying to learn all I can in the meantime. I do wish to keep in mind the words of my commercial-fisherman grandfather, reaching out from his grave:

"Never do anything to make the Coast Guard come out after you."

Cruising couple rounds Cape Horn in a 1976 Defever 40' Passagemaker:

40-Foot Trawler Braves Cape Horn - PassageMaker

That was a great read.

I'd say that this is far more challenging than a trip across most oceans.

Paravanes unavailable due to fouling from kelp;
Severe currents up to 8 knots;
Influence of big tides
Unpredictable winds affected by mountainous coastline
Seas breaking unexpectedly due to uneven bottom

Yikes! I'd rather be in the middle of the Pacific worrying only about whether I have enough tankage.

OK - I've found my (latest) dream passagemaker. :smitten:

A Stuart 42. She's a beaut. Australian designed and built. - based on the design of Tasmanian cray boats.

Here's what the builder has to say about boat designs: "Designs may change to suit the markets needs, but the sea never changes, and it has little respect for boats with a high centre of gravity"

Attachments

• 10_4.jpg
    10_4.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 11_4.jpg
    11_4.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 13_3.jpg
    13_3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 138
OK - I've found my (latest) dream passagemaker. :smitten:

A Stuart 42. She's a beaut. Australian designed and built. - based on the design of Tasmanian cray boats.

Here's what the builder has to say about boat designs: "Designs may change to suit the markets needs, but the sea never changes, and it has little respect for boats with a high centre of gravity"

"Storm Boy" = Really nice seafaring boat! :thumb:

Good grief. They are fearless, or maybe crazy?

DeFever has been designing ocean going power boats for well over half a century. Even before Beebe wrote his book popularizing recreational offshore cruising for the "masses."

The Chilean fishing vessels in the 40 to 50 foot range which regularly ply these waters are neither fearless or crazy. It is a daily happening just like elsewhere around the globe.

DeFever has been designing ocean going power boats for well over half a century. Even before Beebe wrote his book popularizing recreational offshore cruising for the "masses."

The Chilean fishing vessels in the 40 to 50 foot range which regularly ply these waters are neither fearless or crazy. It is a daily happening just like elsewhere around the globe.
Thanks for the perspective Tom.

Those long & low Aussie/Taz boats sure are purdy!

Let me just say upfront: I am not planning on crossing the Atlantic Ocean in a kayak.

Let me just say upfront: I am not planning on crossing the Atlantic Ocean in a kayak.

Been done many times. Solo to Hawaii was pretty gnarly though!

Me like too. All business, no *bling*

Third photo in tugs at my sea kayaking heart. Would love to have the ability to ground out and stay for a week or more (where possible) when an area called for extensive photographic exploration.

That's a cool feature with those twin keels. I've never been to an area with such big tides, but it seems like a great idea. Can do some maintenance on the bottom without having to haul out!

That's a cool feature with those twin keels. I've never been to an area with such big tides, but it seems like a great idea. Can do some maintenance on the bottom without having to haul out!

Especially here on BC's north coast where we have mixed semidiurnal tides, meaning there is a 'low' high tide and a 'high' high tide every day giving you two full tide cycles to work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom