Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #41

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bad advice in a Forum? Ha ha!

I like the range of views in the Forums, particularly this one, and there are a few people that I listen to much more than others.

GoldenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Personally, I've gotten some great advice on boating forums, but I've seen lots more bad advice and information.
Forums are a good place to get ideas for projects or techniques that might improve one's own boating skills or abilities. They're a great place to learn about products, like Keith's recommendation the other year to use GoJo to clean fenders and shorepower cables. Forums are also a good place to get ideas on where a problem might lie.

But as I've said before, with the exception of a handful of people I know are or have been professionals in the boating field--- shipwrights, yard owners, powerplant system operators/maintainers--- I have never actually acted on advice from a forum when it comes to the systems on our boat--- propulsion, electrical, propane, plumbing, etc. We always go to the professionals when it comes to actually dealing with these systems if it's something we haven't already learned to deal with ourselves.

I know, I know, there are pros who shouldn't be in the business. So it's up to the boater to determine which pro is truly that and which isn't. A business license and a sign on the door does not automatically mean a person knows what he's talking about. But that's our responsibility to ferret out the really good ones, which I believe we've done when it comes to the various systems on our boat.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If anyone thinks they can't get bad advice from a boating magazine...they deserve whatever they get from it.

A lot of times there's fine print retracting a LOT of that advice...hope you catch all those tid bits too....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Fort McAllister, Ga
Vessel Name: Hot Shot
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I currently subscribe but will not renew. Last months cover about the "Nordhaven 63" confirmed to me I am not in their league.

Can I borrow 2 million from one of you guys?
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Count me in the "used to" subscribe crowd. I still have most of my back issues, but I notice that the newer issues aren't near as dog-eared as the older ones. I bought the most recent issue as I wanted to read the article on the new Nordic Tug 26 and realized it still isn't the magazine for me, nor are many of the boats that it features.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
It sounds like there is at least from the trawler forum crowd a magazine featuring only old boats, and advertising from vendors that specialize in used cheap equipment would be popular, as long as it was a free magazine.

I could not afford to buy my boat new. It would probably be $750K or more. Clearly out of my price.

I suspect that almost all TF people are inthe same boat figuratively speaking.

I do shop make purchases of equipment I've seen on passagemaker though. There was a great article on Interphase forward looking sonar units, so I bought one.

I look forward to my PM to arrive, and am glad its out there.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #47
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
So how many of us are available to contribute to a magazine based on the low key low dollar trawler crowd?I think it should be web based with a low cost subscription to view certain content,unless it can be monetized to allow free subscriptions.

What constitutes a low cost trawler as far as purchase price,under $50,000?under$100,000?somewhere else?I can run a poll here and see what the masses think.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Like a couple others here I have enjoyed Latitudes and Attitudes recently but it looks like it may soon be no more. A friend that subscribes told me his copy hasn't been delivered yet.

http://store.seafaring.com/index.php...rnc2vgqb1sune4
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
So it would appear. A real shame, as it celebrated the cruising lifestyle with more reverence and irreverence than any other magazine that I know of. PMM & Latts & Atts were very complementary in my mind.

Latts & Atts is GONE! - SailNet Community
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #50
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
So how many of us are available to contribute to a magazine based on the low key low dollar trawler crowd?I think it should be web based with a low cost subscription to view certain content,unless it can be monetized to allow free subscriptions.
Um, you are already contributing to it - it's this forum!

And with the ads subsidizing it, it is a free subscription.
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Um, you are already contributing to it - it's this forum!

And with the ads subsidizing it, it is a free subscription.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #52
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Not to beat a deceased horse, but the current (July/August) issue of PassageMaker Magazine has part one of a very thorough two part article on battery installations that would be good reading for anyone who has batteries in his or her boat, old or new, expensive or inexpensive.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Not to beat a deceased horse, but the current (July/August) issue of PassageMaker Magazine has part one of a very thorough two part article on battery installations that would be good reading for anyone who has batteries in his or her boat, old or new, expensive or inexpensive.
Thanks for the heads up on that.I read everything I can find on boat systems.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #54
FF
Guru

The first 4 issues had stuff that was interesating.

Now It is worth a read , but not paying for, so I try to get old copies from folks that are discarding a pile of them.

In terms of "getting up to speed" for a rag bager coming over to the marine motorist side , the files/archives on this board are better.

Biggest problem (for me) a quiet cruiser , is the lack of info on maintaining a realistic lifestyle with out a noisemaker hammering away , burning currency.

To PM the quiet life is more Soundown and a water lift muffler.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #55

City: St Louis
I agree with opinion above about direction of PMM.... So follow up question: What does everyone suggest now that PMM went high-brow? I loved L&A - I understand Bob is trying to make a comeback. What else is out there for the Trawler crowd (besides this forum)?
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #56
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Good Old Boat is my personal favorite. It's sailing related but the articles on boat improvements and maintenance are really good.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #57
Guru

Any boating magazine that uses the phrase, "tell your captain" is not for me.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #58
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
What else is out there for the Trawler crowd (besides this forum)?
The T&T mailing list forum (Trawlers & Trawlering) can have some good discussions on it and has a pretty broad cross section of participants. It's an e-mail forum so no photos, and their archives search function is not very user-friendly.

Also, if you subscribe to Active Captain there are regular e-mailings on various topics that can be of interest to cruising boaters. It's not a discussion board but there have been some informative "newsletters" lately.

The make-specific forums, owners forums if you will, can like this one have categories for cruising as well as repairs, specifications, etc. The Grand Banks forum, for example, has lots of discussions on things that are not necessarily related to just GBs. Teak deck care or fiberglass repair, for example, are topics that apply to a number of different makes, not just GBs. And most boat systems use the same components used in other boats be they refrigerators, stoves, engines, or electronics.

The GB owners forum is the only one I participate in but I assume other popular boat brands have similar forums.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #59
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Agree, Good Old Boat has some good stuff. Passagemaker was good when it first came out. After a year or two, it's the same as most other boating magazines, selling expensive stuff. There is nothing in there that I can afford. Also, the same guy, Steve, writes almost all the articles, columns, & answers letters besides. That's what I would do if I were trying to put out a magazine on the cheap; but Passagemaker isn't cheap. So I'm done with it.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #60

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I also let my subscription expire a few years ago. Also along the same line, the Trawler Fest events they are putting on have become very commercial. We drove to the one 2 years ago in Anacortes but did not go in when I found out they wanted $30.00 for my wife and I to go look at boats there vendors had brought to try and sell me. Forget it!!

Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote