Old 06-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
As has been said the "original" was excellent but since the takeover, nothing much of interest. Haven't so much as looked at an issue in nigh on three years.

What he said.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Trenton
Quote:
Greetings,
As has been said the "original" was excellent but since the takeover, nothing much of interest. Haven't so much as looked at an issue in nigh on three years.
Ditto

Used to read 'Ocean Navigator'. That has gotten very thin of late.

Al

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Greetings,
OK, you have answered the question "Do you read PassageMaker Magazine?", the answer is apparently "no", but I don't understand your claim that there's "nothing much of interest" if you "Haven't so much as looked at an issue in nigh on three years."

I am retired and not pressed for time, so I read a lot (I have enjoyed reading since I was a child and have learned a lot from reading.) I find most of the articles to be anywhere from mildly to exceedingly interesting.

I especially like the technical answers to reader's questions and the articles pertaining to boat problems and maintenance by Steve D'Antonio.

But, to each his own, I guess.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
It is interesting that a group such as on TF had the majority of responders as none subscribers to PMM. They have a demographic or target market that does not seem to include us. That's OK, but it seems they grew up and left us. Of course this is a very unscientific survey, and the majority of TF members could subscribe. However, I doubt that.

By walking away from their forum, and moving upscale, they seem to have moved into a higher income group of subscribers. After all, advertisers are interested in nothing but numbers and demographics.

That should leave a hole in the market for another mag such as PMM was in the beginning. Could a profit be made from it? I would think a digital mag could work. I don't want to try it, but maybe Moonfish could.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #25
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
I subscribed from the first issue until a couple years into the new ownership. It is no longer of interest. As Marin states, it is obviously aimed at someone else. I don't mind seeing one once in a while just to see how the other half lives, but...
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #26

City: New Bern, N.C.
I started a subscription, but it was not at all what I thought it would be. The maintenance articles are good, but I don't care about the high end new boats that are featured. I still subscribe to "Practical Sailor" and "Good Old Boat" from my previous life. Much more in tune to who I am, and most of the articles carry over to our trawler.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I'm suprised about the responses.

I'm reading tonight the digital version that was e-mailed to me today. I get both the print and the digital versions and read the digital ones when I'm traveling.

This issue had articles about the new Krogen 52, and a couple of other boats I'll never be able to afford. While those were somewhat interesting, what was really great was the article about a group of boaters in Mexico. Something called a fubar cruise.

I love reading about the exploration cruises. It gives me something to dream about, and places to put on my "cruise to someday" list.

I don't mind reading about new boats. I may never be able to afford one, I can apreciate the technical aspects, and the beauty of the boats. I also get ideas how to make the boat I have better.

Sorry, but those that don't read PM are just missing out in my opinion.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #28
Guru

I too was an avid reader of PMM yrs ago. It was like my Sears Christmas Wish Book (remember those 5 lb. books bigger than an unabridged dictionary!). Alas it outgrew even my dreams. Now-a-days I read Lattitudes & Attitudes. They cater more to sailboaters but I find them to be a lot more real-world for regular boaters like me, and they have now combined with "Living a Board". PMM became more of an advertisement for high end boats. I like Good Old Boat as well, it seems to deal with problems (and solutions) that I can apply. I will still pick up a PMM occasionally if they have a cruising article related to an area I'd like to visit or just know more about.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #29
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I'm also a former subscriber, dropped for no reason in particular, but the email stuff I get from PMM has some interesting articles. Just saw this the other day..shows there is always something "different" that we can all maybe learn a little from:

If It Isn't One Thing, It's Another

I do agree the boats reviewed in PMM are gonna be way beyond my pocketbook, but then again, ANY new boat will be out of my reach unless the Lottery Fairy waves her wand over me. I've been getting a free subscription to Power & Motoryacht for years, so when I want to dream a little I can always check out the $$$ boats there.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I like the pictures...like some other mags I used to flip through when the kids hid them under their matress...

Most of the tech articles and answers to patrons are common info or in a thousand internet places...or flat out a way I wouldn't do or can't afford it.

In the time it takes to read the mag...I can learn 20x more from the internet...though some of the cruising articles are fun to read if I haven't been there.

For someone just starting out in the cruising/trawlering life...and have the kind of oney thrown around in the mag...it's as good as the next one.

The nice thing about the internet...I don't have to carry it to the recycling bin...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I especially like the technical answers to reader's questions and the articles pertaining to boat problems and maintenance by Steve D'Antonio.
Yes, his stuff is very worthwhile - and I like most things by Contributing Editor Bob Lane (PNW owner of GB 42' "Quadra").

Even though I'm never going to buy a new (or even used) Nordhavn, Selene, or Fleming I still find value is seeing the solutions that designers have come up with - and maybe finding a DIY method for accomplishing something similar on my own boat (within my own budget <grin>).

The one magazine I really miss is "Powerboat Reports", the power analog of "Practical Sailor".
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most of the tech articles and answers to patrons are common info or in a thousand internet places...or flat out a way I wouldn't do or can't afford it.
This last bit especially. I didn't know how to voice this without sounding like my boat was held together with duct tape/baling wire! But some of that stuff has to have been thought up by someone with a paralyzing fear of being sued for every breath they take its so over the top.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #33

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Subscribed to PM for 10 years but some place over the last few years, PM lost it's "heart". Like Twisted71, I have been reading Latitudes & Atitudes much more recently. I use this Forum for technical advice.
GoldenDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
I still subscribe and have since about the second edition.
OK some of the stuff is way out of reach and I don't go much on semi displacement boats , even Flemmings.
There are still good articles in PMM and good solid tech advice.
I may reach out for a 2 nd hand Nordy one day but I could never see a new one in my future.
All the flash harry speedie boats don't interest me but there is always sonme good reading.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #35
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
The very name "Passagemaker" would imply boats bigger than the majority of us have, or the type of cruising we do. I spite of that it seemed to me they did cover our boating style more in the beginning, then moving on to much larger, faster, fancier and $$$$ boats than we care paying to read about.
Maybe someone here (not me for sure) cares to start a "trawlers" or "coastal crusing" magazine?
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. rwidman. After being a loyal subscriber to PMM from the first issue, I saw the changing trend in the contents to things I had little or no interest in. I see little reason for the publishers to revert to the "old" style articles as they obviously have a ready market in their current readership base. I don't think spending $XXX on a subscription for a few articles a years that I MAY be interested in is cost effective since as mentioned there is a plethora of information available on line for free.
As to Steve D. I had occasion several years ago to attend a couple of his lectures at a Trawlerfest. I found his attitude to be condescending and self serving. Unless you had the biggest, best, newest and most expensive you weren't worth his time. A bit too full of himself for my liking.
As you most accurately state, each to his own.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
It's far better than the competition

I read it, it's the only mag with any content. It may not be as good as it was, but it's all we got. Power Boat reports was another good one. and if you like personal interest, Cruising mag has a Capt Fatty whose humorous cruising stories are fun.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #38

IMHO the reason no magazine exists for the budget boater is because it will only attract few advertisers and as I understand it that is how magazines make money, not from the price of subscriptions. A company that sells stabilizers or bow thrusters would not want to pay top dollar to reach cheap boaters, I don't think.

As for PMM, yes I am a subscriber. Some issues are good and some not so good, but for me, still worth it.

If the stock market continues to grow at the pace it's been going (minus May) I might just be able to buy one of the boats that they feature when I retire in 15 years. So maybe PMM's target market isn't necessarily just the very wealthy but also dreamers like me.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The very name "Passagemaker" would imply boats bigger than the majority of us have, or the type of cruising we do. I spite of that it seemed to me they did cover our boating style more in the beginning, then moving on to much larger, faster, fancier and $$$$ boats than we care paying to read about.
Maybe someone here (not me for sure) cares to start a "trawlers" or "coastal crusing" magazine?
Steve W
Here's what I think...

Noun

passagemaker (plural passagemakers)
  1. (nautical) a vessel designed for, or capable of, making a long distance voyage.
My vessel was bought and driven 1500 miles in the first 6 months I owned the boat...I'll bet that qualifies.

Most of our boats can do the Great Loop (5-7000 miles...that qualifies), they could circumnavigate the Carribean and maybe even the entire western hemisphere if the Arctic keeps melting every summer...that would definitely qualify...

Who the heck said passagemaker inferred "trans-oceanic"?...probably passagemaker magazine..

do read it...but would never waste my money to subscribe to it....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
........... I use this Forum for technical advice.
The problem with using this or any web forum for technical advice is, you will get good advice and you will get bad advice. Often, especially on this particular forum, your thread will evolve into an argument on the validity of the suggestions, and even into personal attacks on the posters.

You will be left to decide for yourself what advice is good, what is not so good, and what is absolutely wrong and bad advice. On some forums, people will intentionally post wrong ways of doing things either as a "joke" or to see if anyone calls them out on it.

Reputable magazines like PassageMaker and most others (and books a well) can't afford to publish "bad" advice for fear of being held responsible if someone follows that advice and injury or loss of property results. Individuals posting on the Internet using an annonymous screen name need not have that fear. If "Big FishKiller" advises you to use wire nuts for your electrical connections and you follow that advice and your boat burns to the waterline because of it, you won't be able to find him, much less hold him accountable.

Personally, I've gotten some great advice on boating forums, but I've seen lots more bad advice and information.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote