Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Passagemaker gets (yet another) remake

Got an e-mail today that our old friend Passagemaker forum is getting a redesign, starting tomorrow. Of course your password won't work any more, so they're going to mail me a new user name and PW tomorrow.

I wrote back and mentioned that all the redesigns in the past were the reason I never went there any more.

Anybody going to take a look? They've pissed me off so much I have no interest in even taking a peek.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
RE: Passagemaker gets (yet another) remake

Kieth I got all excited. I thought the Beebe classic yacht was getting a remake! I know it changed hands last year. Apparently it was on the hard in Chagaramus (Trinidad). Hopefully she gets a re-fit and appears out on the coast.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Doc
Guru

I am going to take a look. In today's world forum software is not rocket science.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Keith wrote:I wrote back and mentioned that all the redesigns in the past were the reason I never went there any more.

They've pissed me off so much I have no interest in even taking a peek.
Well... Which one is it? LoL

I've never been there, so without opening too large of a worm can, what goes on over there? I mean, this isn't the first time I've heard not-so-good things about that forum.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #5

City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Name: Penta
Vessel Model: 36' 1961 Sather ex-Gill Netter

I don't know why but I got the e-mail regarding the upcoming changes and I have not set foot there for over two years. I had my name removed when I was told by a group that being the owner of a converted commercial fish boat did not give me the right to express opinions on a yachting forum. It was apparent that my experiences were not able to be converted into real yachting experiences.
I certainly will not b excepting any new passwords from them !
John Tones Penta
Sidney, BC
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Penta wrote:

...I was told by a group that being the owner of a converted commercial fish boat did not give me the right to express opinions on a yachting forum. It was apparent that my experiences were not able to be converted into real yachting experiences.
That seems like a very counterintuitive attitude to me.* The important thing is what you know about running a boat, not what kind of boat it is.* I suppose they might have had a point if you ran a Cigarette racing boat or something, but given the kind of boat you run and the area you run it in I would think the members of a forum would consider themselves lucky to have an opportunity to get the benefit of your experience.

Plus..... I recall in some back issues of PMM that Carey gave me a number of years ago that there were articles about converting ex-commercial fishing boats aka*"buy back" boats*to recreational boats.* Don't the participants in the PMM forum read their own magazine?

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Marin wrote:Penta wrote:

...I was told by a group that being the owner of a converted commercial fish boat did not give me the right to express opinions on a yachting forum. It was apparent that my experiences were not able to be converted into real yachting experiences.
That seems like a very counterintuitive attitude to me.* The important thing is what you know about running a boat, not what kind of boat it is.* I suppose they might have had a point if you ran a Cigarette racing boat or something, but given the kind of boat you run and the area you run it in I would think the members of a forum would consider themselves lucky to have an opportunity to get the benefit of your experience.

Plus..... I recall in some back issues of PMM that Carey gave me a number of years ago that there were articles about converting ex-commercial fishing boats aka*"buy back" boats*to recreational boats.* Don't the participants in the PMM forum read their own magazine?
You're right Marin. There was one issue with a great article about converted boats, and over the years there have been individual boats featured that were work boatish. Sounds to me like a snobbish individual with a *whole different expectation speaking out against John and his boat.

I haven't decided whether I will venture back to the dark side and look at their site.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 24th of February 2011 08:09:19 PM
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #8

City: Sidney, BC
Vessel Name: Penta
Vessel Model: 36' 1961 Sather ex-Gill Netter

Quote - "You're right Marin. There was one issue with a great article about converted boats, and over the years there have been individual boats featured that were work boatish. Sounds to me like a snobbish individual with a whole different expectation speaking out against John and his boat."

Yes there have been a number of such articles however what the mag. publishes and what goes on via the "list" seem to be in totally different worlds.
By the way, it was not one individual who was being a "red neck" but a group that followed the first guy in his critisisms - oh well I don't worry about it 'cause this list is much better both in content and its contributors. There is not the same "jump on him and his comments" attitude here like seems to be so common on the "other one".
Happy boat'n guys
John
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Penta wrote:
There is not the same "jump on him and his comments" attitude here like seems to be so common on the "other one".
Happy boat'n guys
John
Watch your back John, because when you least expect it, any one of us old farts can go nuts and tear you a new one.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
FF
Guru

The purpose of PM is to SELL $$$$ Add space.

There is way more $$$$ in shlocking new boats , than the parts a converter might use .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Interesting comments re PMM. It would be my observation that the core forum members here are either the same folks who used to inhabit the PMM site, or are similar thinkers. As with any group, there is a wide range of personalities and I've seen personal attacks on both forums; it's the nature of the beast.This forum was born out of frustration due in large part, I believe, to the technical deficiencies of the PMM board, not because of the attacks.
If PMM gets it right this time I suspect that both forums will have good traffic that will wax and wane depending on the topic(s) of the moment.
But please, let's leave the personal attacks out.

-- Edited by Conrad on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:25:48 AM

-- Edited by Conrad on Friday 25th of February 2011 03:39:59 PM
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I visit the site ever morning. **This morning there where 7 old members logged in.* There is not much activity, but there are still a lot of us that check the site.

Personal attached have been on both site and mostly by the same members.* The big difference is this site is read and replied by the monirators, where as PMM was not, to a point many of us stopped replying, not worth the hassle. *

Most of the technical problems where because the member PC did not have Compatibility View checked under tools on your internet screen.* I experience this when I bought a new computer as my old Sony I could not see/understand what people were talking about?* On the old Sony the site work on the new Dell it did not?** So if you are having trouble with a site make sure Compatibility View is checked.* True the site took a little longer to load but with Verizon Broad band, I did not see that much of a change.********

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:56:50 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:58:03 AM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I went and checked it out.

Made a quick post and then came home to TF.

What the heck.

One thing I did like was the profile section. I had a lot of pics posted.
I have lost some of them and wish I could get them back.**That was long ago and a few computers ago*

I wonder if something like that would be possible on this site.
people could set up a photo album in there profile to showcase there baby's.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 25th of February 2011 11:12:15 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
DavidM wrote:

Where is the forum?

David
If you go to Community and then Member benefits you get a list of the benefits which include "Post in our user forums (coming soon!)"

So we'll see.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:One thing I did like was the profile section. I had a lot of pics posted.
I have lost some of them and wish I could get them back.**That was long ago and a few computers ago*

I wonder if something like that would be possible on this site.
people could set up a photo album in there profile to showcase there baby's.

SD
You actually can post pics in your Biography section of your profile.* Or more accurately, a link to pics.* By using one of the free picture posting sites you can insert the pics in your bio.* Because they are a link you can post just about all that you want.

-- Edited by dougd1 on Monday 28th of February 2011 08:15:15 AM
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #16
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Cute....
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

I still check PM out periodically but I'll have to see how they set the 'new' forum up.

I think though, now it will be third on my check list.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:34 AM   #18
FF
Guru

OF course the log in password given doesnt work.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #19
Doc
Guru

I finally got logged in only to find that the forum was "coming soon".
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

What's a Beiber????

And as always, thanks for the kind words reference this forum and thank y'all for participating. There is a pretty fine group of folks on here!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote