Passage Maker trawler fest - worst money i have spent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I found our boat at the Bremerton Trawlerfest so it was a score for me. And I was really there for the educational seminars anyway. I wouldn't call them a "boat show." It's a seminar event with enough vendors to help defray the costs.

You should be able to find out what boats will be at any one event. And if you are interested in any of those, the whole thing is way more low key than a "real" boat show, which is a bonus to me. I.e. you get more time to poke around, ask questions and such.

Some of the seminars were duds. But I always get enough new info to make it worthwhile. Mind you I'm not travelling far so factor that in.

Take heart, trawler enthusiasts! PassageMaker's new editor-in-chief and its publisher seem to have realized that the magazine and its events have wandered from the passion and the desire for deep know-how that have been defining within the trawler community, and which PassageMaker exemplified for many years. As a trawler manufacturer, advertiser, and an avid boater I have observed (and bemoaned) the dilution and loss of focus that others have described in this thread. But I have it directly from PassageMaker's direction-setters that they are bringing back the focus on passage-making, and are intent on rebuilding their position as THE journal of the trawler community. The current issue of the magazine signals the shift -- a new look, and an encouraging editorial from Andrew Parkinson that communicates this course correction. In talking with these same people at TrawlerFest Stuart I suspect that we'll also see a reinvigoration of the TrawlerFest events. Looking forward to it...

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

I will not lie. I enjoy smaller trawler shows. The vendors have more time to talk. Granted, a few more vendors, maybe a few more lectures would be nice. The Stuart show is not over powering like the Ft L and Miami show.
Sadly, I missed the Stuart show but next year, I hope to get to it.

Stuart Trawler fest

Would have to agree. My wife and I drove over to Stuart for the Trawlerfest from SW Florida and it was a waste of time and money. Would not do it again.
John

Take heart, trawler enthusiasts! PassageMaker's new editor-in-chief and its publisher seem to have realized that the magazine and its events have wandered from the passion and the desire for deep know-how that have been defining within the trawler community, and which PassageMaker exemplified for many years. As a trawler manufacturer, advertiser, and an avid boater I have observed (and bemoaned) the dilution and loss of focus that others have described in this thread. But I have it directly from PassageMaker's direction-setters that they are bringing back the focus on passage-making, and are intent on rebuilding their position as THE journal of the trawler community. The current issue of the magazine signals the shift -- a new look, and an encouraging editorial from Andrew Parkinson that communicates this course correction. In talking with these same people at TrawlerFest Stuart I suspect that we'll also see a reinvigoration of the TrawlerFest events. Looking forward to it...

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Time will tell. I hope that it gets better. I would like to see PMM get more articles that are not about million dollar boats. There used to be something in the magazine for everyone. Last few years unless you are looking to spend a million or more there isn’t much for you. I used to love Steve D’s articles because they applied to my maintenance of my boat.

Time will tell. I hope that it gets better. I would like to see PMM get more articles that are not about million dollar boats. There used to be something in the magazine for everyone. Last few years unless you are looking to spend a million or more there isn’t much for you. I used to love Steve D’s articles because they applied to my maintenance of my boat.

:thumb:
Something for the little guy.
They made their bread, butter and popularity by writing for the common man and then, their rudder fell off.

Last edited:

Available on his website: https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/articles/

My wife and I first went to a Trawlerfest in Anacortes around 9 or 10 years ago. Keeping in mind that Trawlerfests are aimed at a niche boating segment, we were very impressed with the quality and subject of the seminars, the variety of vendors (around 40 if memory serves me well) and the number of boats (@70). We then went to a couple in Florida in the following 2 or 3 years, one in Ft. Lauderdale and the other near West Palm Beach. Those shows had less boats and vendors. Seminars were generally good. However the show near West Palm Beach was a new location and not well organized. Since then we haven't been to any where we feel the East coast ones have generally shrunk in the number of boats and vendors on display and fewer seminars of interest. Also, we noted that there were very few boats on display matching our general target criteria, and as someone else noted, even that information is no longer posted in advance. The Trawlerfests in the PNW have more seminars of interest but they also entail the most travel. Without the useful information of what boats will be on display we haven't deemed it worthwhile to return to any Trawlerfests at this point.

Regarding Passagemaker Magazine, I was ready to not write a check for renewal, but the April 2019 issue came.

Really enjoyed it, one of the best overall issues in several years. Hope they can keep it up.

As one of the vendors, and a boater, I’m with @SteveZ. These events are really good for newbies, or for folks that want to take just a few classes. Example: Nigel Calder and Mike Beemer are teaching the upcoming Seattle event’s diesel class. Those two gentlemen are GOLD in my opinion. But the boat show part is only for builders that can stomach the entry fee compared to the cost of the boat they’re selling. So you won’t be seeing much for under $250k. And the tent vendors can get a better bang for their marketing buck elsewhere. Call it New Math.

As one of the vendors, and a boater, I’m with @SteveZ. These events are really good for newbies, or for folks that want to take just a few classes. Example: Nigel Calder and Mike Beemer are teaching the upcoming Seattle event’s diesel class. Those two gentlemen are GOLD in my opinion. But the boat show part is only for builders that can stomach the entry fee compared to the cost of the boat they’re selling. So you won’t be seeing much for under $250k. And the tent vendors can get a better bang for their marketing buck elsewhere. Call it New Math.

I call it an ineffective cost and pricing strategy. If the price is keeping the boat brokers and the tent vendors from attending, then the price is excessive and risks the long term viability of the show part. Every show provider, of RV shows, boat shows, auto shows, home and garden shows, has dealt with this issue. The successful ones reach the breaking point for their customer and back down a bit. Many ways to do so. For instance, those who will bring more boats might get discounts. Tents might be looked at as simply an additional benefit of the show and be priced at a minimal price. Sometimes it means moving shows. I've seen shows moved from major arenas to civic centers. I assume Stuart was an effort to find an affordable locale but maybe it isn't as affordable as it needs to be. FLIBS can get by with outrageous pricing. No builder can afford not to be there. The Miami shows seem to be able to charge high prices but it's a very popular show with the Central and South American buyers.

Nothing new about the math. Just the show company has to decide is making less on each boat shown and having more boats and more attendees beneficial. One other very common approach has been gaining sponsorship. Look at the Miami show and the amount of promotion and benefit of Progressive sponsoring it. Tampa Bay Boat show is sponsored by the Tampa Bay Times. Often it's television stations. Palm Beach Show goes the route of a sizable list of partners.

I've seen companies in every industry get just a little complacent, with no intent and no knowledge they're doing so. I was pleased to read Passagemaker has plans to change things. Ultimately, it's not going to matter how good the seminars and classes are, if they don't draw people to the show as a whole. I'd consider everything, every possible change and that includes location. I don't think Stuart holds some special pull to the trawler community. Perhaps they should hold it somewhere less expensive or perhaps hold it somewhere in conjunction with another show as was attempted in Palm Beach I believe. I hope they find the answers.

Couple of thoughts, based on our attendance a few years ago at Stuart Trawlerfest. Actually, the location was pretty centrally located in Florida, and had the requisite hotel, restaurant and marina in one location.

Most of the seminars were boring, one afternoon class was exciting (Chris Parker's weather class), and one class (electronics repair) seemed to be in a foreign language with too much unknown terminology. In a nutshell, we wasted three days and a long drive, so we agree with Fajah. They suck you in with a lower seminar price if you attend all three or four days, so perhaps that was our mistake.

While it is great that Trawlerfest is occasionally able to land such industry luminaries as Chris Parker, Nigel Calder, and Steve Zimmerman, I'm afraid Trawlerfest's vetting of some of their other seminar instructors is sorely lacking. It was obvious that some of the seminar leaders were there to sell outdated books, and some were there in order to be like the remora fish that attach themselves to whales, i.e. to attach themselves to industry people of solid reputation because they are lacking in that regard.

There were not many trawlers on display, and most were very pricey new boats, except for a couple of over 50' models that we could not afford to maintain. I know it costs more to rent a few extra floating docks for more boats, but maybe the future Florida organizers should consider this. Adding a few easy-up tents for respite from the hot Florida sun would also be helpful. It was brutally hot the day we spent on the docks.

IMHO, a better Trawlerfest would pay more attention to hiring quality instructors, more boats (new and used over a wide price range), many more vendors, plus daily lunch and dinner opportunities open to paying attendees in order to mingle socially with other trawler owners/buyers.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

I don't think Stuart holds some special pull to the trawler community. Perhaps they should hold it somewhere less expensive or perhaps hold it somewhere in conjunction with another show as was attempted in Palm Beach I believe. I hope they find the answers.

Depending on what boat manufacturers you want to attract, Stuart certainly is home to several traditional trawler East coast distributors. It seems to me, if you're trying to revitalize the show, getting the locals to participate would be an easier first step.

Ted

Ditto on the Baltimore trawler fest in Baltimore last fall - we were disappointed.
Likewise, the rain didn't help, but the show was totally underwhelming. If you're not going for the classes it wouldn't be something I'd go out of my way to attend. There's just not enough vendors exhibiting, nor boat inventory, to make it worthwhile. I love just about any excuse to see boats, and I live a mere hour's drive away, but that last one was kinda pointless.

As a newbie, I found the Stuart Trawlerfest valuable.

I'm a small boat sailor and have only chartered sailboats, never though I'd get aboard a big powerboat. But I started thinking about what to do for retirement, and realized that the Loop was an adventure I'd like to do with my wife. I headed to Stuart to attend a few courses, and found the "how to buy a boat" especially useful.

Steve Z's chart regarding "how are you going to use your boat" and chatting with Dorsey and Bruce, the very pleasant owners of Esmeralde, an American Tug 395 really firmed up my thinking about what type of boat would suit me best.

The many lectures on the legal and insurance requirements and realities of purchasing and owning a boat were a glimpse into the black arts of protecting assets, saving taxes and preparing and maintaining proper documentation. I was staying with friends in West Palm Beach who own a sailing cat, and chatting about what I was learning sparked several interesting discussions which revealed that I was getting prepared in a way they never had, and certainly would have appreciated up front.

I plan on attending the Baltimore Trawlerfest in September, in order to take the Diesel engines course if Nigel is teaching it again, as well as to sign up for some handling experience. If nothing else, it would be an opportunity to provide more documentation when chartering that I'm a good risk for their valuable equipment.

As far as the in-water boat show and vendors? I found it valuable to chat with the owners of several boats, and several of them took a half hour or more to answer questions and provide insight into the lifestyle. If you are already in the community, already have the access, this would be less valuable. But I also spent 20 minutes talking with Kurt Dilworth of American Tugs and 15 with Trevor Brice of North Pacific. They were able to explain their history, their process and their take on a busload of questions I developed after looking at their handiwork. Their pride, and their relationship with their customers, was on full display. In such an intimate atmosphere you can easily see benefit to potential customers and to the industry.

Finally thank you Jeff Merrill, who taught the "Offshore Essentials" course which had good tips of how to prepare for and conduct a trip when you have to depend on boat and crew for your survival and enjoyment of an adventuresome passage. He then showed me through the engine room of the Nordhaven 47 NaviGator with an in-depth discussion of maintenance, upgrade and operation of the systems such a boat requires.

I must sound like an infomercial. But that's my $0.02

It's great to hear from you Philly and get the positive side. Seems they're hitting what the new powerboater needs and missing the desires a bit of the more experienced.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom