Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #21

City: Chesapeake, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
You are asking all of the wrong questions for a blue water passagemaker. Read Bebe's book. He didn't discuss the merits of a tub in the shower or not!!!
Dumb question, who is bebe?

kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Voyaging Under Power - Robert P. Beebe - Google Books

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #23

City: Chesapeake, VA
many thanks, I was looking for "bebe". oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Sorry for the two previous reply as only had the note pad which is not ideal for long posts and I hate the key pad and not easy to go back.

For a long term passagemaker/live aboard the boat should be big enough to give each their on space/area. My wife area is the stern enclosed deck, and we each have our own stateroom and bathroom, besides the common area of the galley/salon and the master stateroom. I have the pilot house and the engine room!

The masterr stateroom is far enough away you can not hear the salon, so we do not disturb each other sleep.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
Enigma

The "Bebe"....

Sorry, that's voyaging powerless...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Personally, if I were going to Alaska and teh PNW, almost any decent trawler would do. If I were going to Australia, it would have to be a sailboat or quality motor-sailor.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
The "Bebe"....

Sorry, that's voyaging powerless...
Since we're veering into pop culture, I'll just mention that I found myself booked into a Chicago hotel that "the Bieb" was staying at a couple weeks ago. I had taken a cab that looked remarkably like a limo from the airport. As we approached the hotel, the throng of expectant teenage girls surged toward the "limo" . . . and then receded just as quickly when they saw me inside. Quite a thrill for a few minutes there.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #28
Enigma

Greetings,
With a moniker like Angus you could have been....

...And it IS boating related as most vessels have both AC and DC systems (OK, a stretch to say the least). Just your typical Aussie "boy band"....

Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #29
FF
Guru

. She's a 1983 45' CHP with a 400hp Cummins

This is surely not a passage making style boat.

Sad to say very few trawlers that are not special builds are suitable for serious ocean work. The few production boats that claim ocean capible are about $300% more costly than lakes and rivers brown water cookies

Almost everything will be different , engine selection , tank size accomidiations ,and most important (and impossible to change ) is hull scantlings.

Simplest quick check is a glance at the PH windows.

1/2in glass if small or 3/4 thick would be a start.

A big sheet of auto glass is an inshore giveaway , you could make the glass a cover , but its hard to beef up the PH structure to ocean standards.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Greetings,

...And it IS boating related as most vessels have both AC and DC systems (OK, a stretch to say the least). Just your typical Aussie "boy band"....

AKA DACA, now that brings back memories, got thrown out of their gig at the old Antler pub in Narrabeen, many moons ago.(Sorry for the hijack,I blame RT Firefly. )
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
. She's a 1983 45' CHP with a 400hp Cummins

This is surely not a passage making style boat.
It wasn't stated to be one. It was simply a statement to Kevin Sanders point of not needing a Nordhavn or Krogen to cruise the waters of Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raven.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	21961  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #32
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Greetings,
Thanks, wish I had his chops.

Actually, this is the Angus I'm named after.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #33

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
It is better to be cruising on a Sea Ray than dreaming about a Nordhavn. Peter mentions insurance and you will not get offshore passagemaker insurance unless you have paid crew or lots of experience.
After you have been boating a few years you will learn what is important to you for features in an offshore boat, and for learning a coastal cruiser can get you the sea time.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
It wasn't stated to be one. It was simply a statement to Kevin Sanders point of not needing a Nordhavn or Krogen to cruise the waters of Alaska.
That is a nice looking boat. To me, when a pilothouse design has a flybridge on top of the pilothouse instead of behind, it usually messes up the lines. But not
with this one. The low profile flybridge doesn't harm the lines at all.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
That is a nice looking boat.
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw her from a distance. The closer we got, the more I liked her and was very surprised at the make, year and model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First Seen.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	21968   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Look.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	21969   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 rd Look.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	21970  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
Newbie here with several questions regarding the pros and cons of certain features on blue water trawlers. Not sure if this should go under General Discussion or Liveaboards…

My envisioned scenario is a couple crewed 50’-60’ liveaboard passage maker, basing out of the PNW, with an emphasis on cruising Alaskan waters. I don’t own a boat, have never owned a boat, and am merely day-dreaming about Nordhavns & Kadey-Krogens.

That said…

1. Wet lockers: How do they work? Convenience or something you can’t live without?

2. Pilot house berthing & head: For a couple crewed trawler making overnight ocean passages, is an enclosed off-watch pilot house cabin truly useful or is an open-air berth behind pilot house seating adequate? Under the same conditions, is a pilot house head just nice to have… or a critical feature?

3. Forward vs. aft pilot house design with regard to embarking and recovering tenders: Pros & Cons? I am especially interested in difficulty considerations under rough conditions or emergency.

4. In some boat interior schematics, I have seen showers incorporating small oval tubs and a bench. Are there advantages to this style over a conventional shower stall?

5. Things never being equal, I’ll ask anyway: For a live aboard lifestyle, would you rather have more salon length or more aft cockpit (and lazarette) length?

Thanks in advance...
I'll presume that as a starting point we are talking about a boat that is sea worthy enough to cross oceans, and we are just talking about the accommodations and other niceties.... So focusing on layout and niceties;

1) A wet locker would be nice, but I don't think critical. I wouldn't reject a boat without one.

2) I think the key for off-watch snoozing is to have the sleeping party accessible if needed. Alseep on a bench in the pilot house places the person close at hand, but is probably not the most conducive to good sleep. A pilot house berth is more conducive to good sleep while still being close at hand, but someone in a nearby stateroom can be just as accessible.

As for a head, yes, a pilot house head is a great convenience, but you can probably get to and from any other head in the boat nearly as quickly, so I wouldn't worry too much if you have to walk a few more steps to go pee.

3) Aft pilot house arguably gives a better ride, but usually mean a forward boat deck. And a forward boat deck can mean reduced visibility and more difficult launching and retreival. I've never done a forward launch myself, but understand that getting someone into the dinghy on launch to unhook the davit can be a real challenge, especially with a high freeboard like you will find on a sea worthy boat. And you have the same problem getting the davit reconnected for retreaval and the person back on board before lifting. I don't know how you would do it, but somehow people manage. I've also seen dinghies very effectively block the hatches that are supposed to let light into the forward below deck.

A forward pilot house can be a rougher ride, but offers better visibility and results in an aft boat deck for easier dinghy launching.

4) I'll never understand a tub on a boat. Maybe tubs help sell the boat to the Mrs? But other than as a dock, it will be useless, and just imagine the quantity of water.

5) Tough question on how to allocate Salon vs Cockpit space. Your expected cruise area may make the outside space more attractive. I've also found that people who typically travel with company make very different decisions about boat layout than people who typically travel as a couple. If you have a lot of kids on board and engage in a lot of water activities then I can see the cockpit being more heavily used.

twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote