Pascoe Books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's easy to criticize Pascoe, and find his faults, but what would be more constructive is for us to find, fund, and support a new publication like PowerBoat reports.

Of course it's easy, his faults are so very easy to spot if you know what you are looking at. The problem is he is writing to and self-publishing for a market that doesn't even know where to look.

PowerBoat went out of business because, like FF said, there is no market.

PM made a heroic effort to serve at least this (trawler) part of the hobby but since it was sold off, it has become a vehicle for a new Pascoe and the ramblings of its former owner. Like the Pascoe stuff, it is getting wider but much much too thin to have any value.

There aren't any shortcuts to training and education. Sites like this one are a good place to start though, but sites like this can be very much like Pascoe's books ... self published and often loaded with nonsense but at least every once in a while there is a horsepucky warning.

Sites like this one are a good place to start though, but sites like this can be very much like Pascoe's books ... self published and often loaded with nonsense but at least every once in a while there is a horsepucky warning.

Not So, these sites are quite open and anyone with an opinion is instantly challenged by a differing opinion.

So a reader gets 2-3 or 50 views on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not So, these sites are quite open and anyone with an opinion is instantly challenged by a differing opinion.

So a reader gets 2-3 or 50 views on the topic.

:rolleyes: Which side of a mid channel marker to pass is subject to judgement, whim, or opinion.

Most boaters probably could care less which side anyone passes but when some genius posts on a forum that there is no such thing as a mid channel marker or there is a certain side on which it must be passed then his statement has moved beyond opinion and deserves challenge.

I agree with RickB. So much of what Pascoe says reflects his personal bias, and not the real world implications of the issue. My disillusionment occurred when I read a review (not a survey) of a Grady White model that I owned, same model year. His biases were obvious as the same issues in other manufacturer's boats did not elicit any comment or much milder criticism. Having owned that boat for several years, the items he cited were either non-issues or so minor it was laughable. And he missed most of the real issues with that boat. He certainly is full of himself and thinks his opinion is fact. With that experience, there was no way I was going to spend good money to read more of his opinions. However, if someone were to lend me his books, I would certainly read them.

further...

Obviously old thread....but today 6/19 I go to look at my copy of Pascoes Mid size power boats...I am researching info on Perkins range 4 m240 TI engines from the early? '90's...can't find much of anything anywhere on the internet...???
I open up his book and NOTHING on Perkins...???? Nothing...more than shocked....I have to agree with most of the criticisms....

I wasn't the biggest fan of his, but since he has passed away I stay away from any criticism...

Obviously old thread....but today 6/19 I go to look at my copy of Pascoes Mid size power boats...I am researching info on Perkins range 4 m240 TI engines from the early? '90's...can't find much of anything anywhere on the internet...???
I open up his book and NOTHING on Perkins...???? Nothing...more than shocked....I have to agree with most of the criticisms....

Because he almost entirely dealt with higher speed boats, including outboards, and large boats that didn't use Perkins, among others.

The value of his "Mid sized Power Boats" book is his discussion of ergonomics, aging of systems, and hull integrity. Stuff that time and time again we see people ignoring in the boat selection process. I have recommended that book for years, telling people to pay close attention to only the first half, and reading the rest for "FYI" fun. I always found his discussion of individual boat and engine brands to be almost superfluous, increasing more so over time. Though he was one of the most visible in calling out issues with "Taiwan Trawlers" that have since become common wisdom. Too many people skip the important sections and go right to the back of the book, which is the wrong strategy.

Soooooo anywho. Back to the OP

If I could offer advice on prepping for a boat search that will save you money on unnecessary surveys, I would suggest you purchase a moisture meter. I did and it saved me a fortune over the years. If used improperly it could cost you a good boat as well. I want to know where a boat is taking on water, or has leaked. I want to know if key areas of structure are wet, and if wet what is the method of construction. Trawler windows are notorious leakers from what I can see. The Cheoy Lee I looked at had water in the structure around most of it windows. The stains were obvious, but is the water still there or was it fixed and dried? The bridge structure was soaking wet. The broker said it rained recently and the teak was holding water. Problem was my meter was used from inside the salon pointing upward into the structure. My Protometer does not start to detect until after the first 1/16 (roughly, and adjustable). My concern about the bridge was initiated by a blog I read on the internet. It was a resource very similar to this forum. Read and research as much as you can. Verify and challenge as much as you can. Once you get past this hire a surveyor and diesel survey and go over your findings and concerns with them. I have found that most of what a survey reported I already knew of, but the detail you learn from a pro is really why it is worth every penny. A good mechanic is worth their weight in gold. I am a trawler neophyte, but have been buying boats for 47 years. Just another opinion that you asked for. :) Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom