Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Participation

Gentlemen,

Iv'e spent the last 15 min surfing and browsing around counting all the posts I could find. I'm supprised. I counted over 50. Five to 10 I've never heard of so I assume they made 1 or 2 posts and forgot about TF. Of the 40 left about half seldom post. That leaves 20 to 25 guys holding up the mast. Thats actually better than I thought it would turn out. I wonder if there are 350 guys just reading the posts and thinking about things or if there are 20 to 30 of us chatt'in away and all the others are long gone? What do you moderators know? Is it any of my business? I'm glad I found this site as my Willard site has gone quite dead.

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Participation

and the ratio of members to posters on pmm is 6727 to ??

this sight is going well

rednev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

RE: Participation

Hey Eric,
** Yea.....me too...What they said!
I check the site out every day (or two), but if I have nothing to say, answer or query, I just listen!
Respectfully,
Ken
botemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Eric:

I'm solidly in Vinny's camp on this topic. I use the site every day and sometimes much more. I'll bet there are a lot of guys that just read the posts and laugh their fannies off as there is a lot BS here. I fear that some newbies that are taking a lot of this info to heart may encounter some trouble down the road.

Walt*
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
gns

Participation

I 110% agree with Cousin Vinny.

I've read responses that say something like, "I don't know the answer to your question but I bet somebody will." ??? Or, "I've never owned, used, or even seen the item you're talking about but you should....." ???

I often wonder if the people that do this sort of thing are the ones you see walking down the street or sitting in a cafe talking to themselves.
gns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Participation

Mr. Willy,
Could be the 25/50 people you counted have just lost interest or are afraid to post fearing a bad mouthing like what has happened on the PMM site. I know of one "member" who posted a couple of questions here a while back and didn't get ANY response-good or bad and has simply lost interest.
Mr. gns has a point as well regarding "I don't know but you should try...". In a lot of cases this is just to be heard but in some cases the goofy or useless response has twigged an idea in MY brain that has actually been of some use (lateral thinking).
If someone wants a purely technical board, I don't think this is it (nor is PMM) but TF is quick, easy, uncluttered and really quite entertaining but I'm curious about what Mr. Vinny said about the Germans????
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #7

Me thinks things are going along very smoothly, especially when one considers the length of time this forum has been active.* Personally, I really enjoy reading about all the different facits of boating; from parts, to recommendations, to adventures.* It's all good, and this forum is set up very well, with cubbie holes for each topic.* Heck, if we run out of topics, we start new ones, as the one on humor or this thread.*

I've gotten a lot of information from you readers out there, and appreciate it all.* My boat is slmost two hours from where I live, so having this forum keeps me plugged in to boating; even when I'm landlocked!

I've been corresponding with a friend in New Zealand, who I've encouraged to join this forum, as he just purchased a 34' CHB there and has all the newbie questions, just like we all did at one time.

So keep reading, contributing or just dreaming of boating here; it's all good and this forum is still a great resource.

Mike Wiley
34'CHB
ChristyLee
Brookings, Oregon
coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #8

I agree with everyone here.**Some folk just like to lurk around and absorb the good stuff and chortle over the funny stuff and roll their eyes at the REALLY weird stuff. *There are lots of members reading who don't sign on every day,*but just wait to pounce.*
Eric sounds at a bit of a loss with the lack of activity on the Willard site but we can all help. Why don't a bunch of us just migrate over for a short time, ask*questions, offer advice and then disagree with each other. Liven the old place up a bit. Hell, maybe we could hire ourselves out as "Forum rejunenators!" - who ya gonna call?!**(insert appropriate music).

AND, I too have some problems with Vinny.
VY SHOOD VE HAV TO SPEAK GERMAIN?

Monty Python fans will recognise the killer joke that defeated the Nazis in WW2

There were zwei* peanuts walking down der strasse. Und one was assaulted... peanut!
So I guess it's ok to be a little germain at times.
Charles07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Guru

Hey guys,

I'm really glad I asked this Question. Reading between the lines of this thread answers almost everything for me. Something I don't recall discussed is the degree of opnion that is or isn't real in our conversions relative to the degree of fact. I noticed in my posts and in many others that we just state things with no appearent reguard for thier authenticity. I have felt slightly guilty even but the alternative is to say "in my opnion" or "as a mater of fact" or "to me this implies that" or "I really don't know but" ect ect. This would be a burden on me as I type so poorly but it would be a burden on everyone since we may need to make many of these expressions or proclamitions in even one post. I think, however, that it is assumed by all to, more than less that everything said on this site is opnion. If we don't take it too seriously and consider what is said as food for thinking or advice to consider we may get more out of this forum.

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Old 02-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

On the PMM site there are about two dozen that consistently post on a regular/daily bases even though there are 6,500+ members.* 5 years ago the PMM site did not have that much activity.* So its the number actually on the site and the number of hits, not the number of members that is important.* **

Many times the same topic is on both the PMM site and this site, so I do not respond and/or read on the other site.* Who wants to read the same dribble again?* Many of the posts are to get the discussion going and/or keep it going. Many times there will be an article in PMM on a long chat discussion, so they use the chat for magazine articles ideals, and many times an article will start a discussion, so they feed on another. *

It takes years to establish a large membership and following.* PMM chat is 10+ years old.* ****

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Participation

Hey Eric and others,

Great topic and in direct response to Eric I would like to add; "I feel" that the proclamations referred to would help. Being a newbie amongst such perceived salty old sages I was always a little leery of commenting or asking questions for fear of recrimination. After a couple years of lurking I finally got up the nerve to post a comment but either preceded or followed every statement with, "I feel, or I believe". But, then to my amazement the folks here and at PMM and T&T turned out to be very kind. I was tolerated and welcomed and so occasionally you'll here from me about something.

The other thing is that like someone else mentioned, I'm a long way from my boat right now (boats in Virginia, I'm in Jacksonville) and this forum sure helps keep me connected to my beloved boating (that's a little silly).smile

And finally, I disagree that lurkers/newbies have little or nothing to offer. "I believe" that a newbies questions can serve to fuel discussion about many topics that real learning can grow from.

"just my opinion, your mileage may vary" (quoted from another lister trying to deflect criticism) Ha Ha

Regards,

Capn Wil
Sadly grounded
capnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #12

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Juz-B-Cuz
Vessel Model: 38' Rawson Trawler
Participation

Gents -

Just my (even so humble) opinion:

At nine hundred and some miles away from my boat (for now), the daily back and forth about boat stuff is just wonderful. Eric, FF, RTF, Marin, Phil/Fill, Nomadwilly, and everybody else - I've never met any of you, but I consider you friends. I hope the day will come when I can meet you all in person.

The best thing about this site: "I disagree with you, and here's why" instead of "You don't think the way I do, so you must be s stupid idiot".

Respect is a precious (and all too rare) thing.

Thanks, guys.
Chris Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Guru

Participation

Chris,

We could have a meeting. East coast and west coast. Willard Boat Owners ( Yahoo Groups ) had a rendezvous last year and those that went had a wonderful time and those that didn't were obviously jealous. Just a thought.

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Participation

All we have to say is thanks to all of you. You have mentioned many of the reasons we started this site. The* main reasons*are to talk freely about boating and have the resources to get to know one another(thru easy picture posting,unobtrusive moderating,etc.) while exchanging good information. I have really enjoyed getting to know all of the characters on here. Our expectations have surely been met and then some.

Truly, a sincere "Thank You" to each an every one of you for participating in this site.

PS...Eric, don't forget about us redneck/cajun boaters down here on the 3rd coast(Gulf Coast)...

-- Edited by Baker at 12:26, 2008-02-04
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: -
Participation

Eric---

What you have noticed seems to be pretty much the norm in all the forums or newsgroups I have participated in or read for the last decade or so. One of the moderators of the T&T list told me awhile back that at the time they had something like 3,000 members, but only about 150 active participants. Some people are pretty comfortable communicating "in the blind" on an internet forum, but I think more are not.

One thing I don't like to see is a post that starts, "I'm just a newbie so don't have anything to offer...." A lot of people who have been doing something for a long time forget there was once a day when they didn't know squat about boating, flying, skiing, you name it. Just because a person is new to boating doesn't mean they don't know anything about it, because in my opinion, boating is 90 percent logic and common sense and 10 percent specific knowledge. So I believe someone new to boating can have just as valuable a piece of information to share as someone who has--- or claims to have had--- decades of boating experience.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #16
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I have several times tried to arrange a meet/rendezvous with the PMM site and the RoughWater site, even sort of hinted on this site about the Seattle Boat Show.* We did have a PMM meet several years at Poulsbo that several people showed up. * However, in a way its some times better not to actually meet as people have a mental picture of the person as people can be so much cooler on line.* Like I am 6 1, in 3 heels, weight 170 lbs, in my dreams, drive a pink *Cadilac, actually a rusty pick up trucks,*like soft music with a good class of wine, actual*red neck country with a beer, own and live on a ugly old trawler, now that is true, but the closer you get the uglier it gets.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
Guru

Hey Captn Will,

I agree newbies and lurkers have a lot to offer but frequently offer much less. But the reason is linked to one of the most important aspects of web forums. In a face to face interchange like the ones we have but in a cafe or bar maybe 75% of us would bail because it would not be a comfortable thing to do. Here on Trawler Forum the introverts, quiet people and private people can be participants without participating. On the Willard Boat Owners site I can surf the old messages for hours, learning what I want and skimming over the rest. People like this on TF get a great deal out of TF but don't appear to give anything back. But they do. They give the forum VALUE. I'ts just that we the participants don't know it. But now that I know you are there, learning, enjoying and interacting with us passively as a group I personally find my time and energy much more rewarding. Thank you.

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Participation

Eric,

Oh No!!! Say it isn't so, please! INTROVERTS, on THIS forum?!?! My Admiral (wife) is one of them thar things (just kidding, tongue firmly in cheek). Certified, bonafied, tested and approved. She is always telling me to slow down (extrovert). She says it takes introverts a little longer to process information but they come up with good answers. And....she's right. She does come up with good answers. Seems like she and other introverts would be good on this forum. So for all you introverts out there, thanks for the slow but good answers. And, I agree with you Eric about the value of the lurkers and in fact all of the members. Thanks to all of the participants and lurkers that make this forum possible.

I would like to offer what little knowledge that I have gained over the past few years to anyone considering a "First Step" into trawlering. I got in at an entry level (read...cheap) and had the most marvelous adventure, even though I felt like I was a little short in the experience department. You are welcome to email me direct and we can set-up a phone conversation about my particular approach (not particularly unique).

In short, I bought a small used affordable trawler in San Francisco (I live in Virginia), had it trucked to Galveston, spent a month or two prepping the boat and then took it on it's own bottom by myself from Galveston to Apalachicola, Florida (about 800 miles). I farted around a lot and took about two months to make the trip.

Best regards,

CapnWil
capnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
Guru

Phil Fill,
Your'e right. Numerous times I've been half way through a book and the author tells me he is totally different than I grew to know him over hundreds of poges. But the Willard gathering went very well. Everyone seemed quite thrilled to meet for the first time the webbers they'ed been talking to for years. For us lodgistics would'nt do us any good. By the time we broke up into 4 or 5 areas we'd have too few people involved.
CapnWill
I had an introverted girlfriend in the car and I was talking on and on for several minutes ..I paused and she said " Eric some people think before they speak ". I felt screwed up untill I read the book " Please Understand Me " Then I found out thats what introverts do .. think before they speak. We extroverts are OK. We are more efficent ... thinking and speaking at the same time. But sometimes the stuff that comes out gets us into trouble. All you guys on TF know that about me. By the way ..
I miss my Albin.
Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Participation

"I agree newbies and lurkers have a lot to offer "

What they mostly have to offer is new blood , new faces , and thick wallets to purchase our old boats when we move up , or on.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote