Part out and scrap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Cofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Puffin
Vessel Make
Willard Vega 30
Or sell her cheap? She is a good solid old boat. Not much of a market for her I guess. New boat coming and we need the mooring space she is in.

6-354 Perkins vintage 1982
Velvet Drive 1:57-1 same vintage
Two 110 gal fiberglass tanks
One 50 gal plastic water tank
4 blade prop 18 x don't remember
3 blade prop 18 x don't remember
Wagner autopilot
Hynautic helm
Morse controls
Raymarine R10xx Radar
Raymarine GPS
Dickinson Antarctic Heater
Aluminum day tank for heater
Full set of cruising spares for Perkins
Spare starter
Misc spare parts
Full set of extra nice aluminum windows

I'd sell her for at least $10000.00

Good (relatively) functioning boats for low bucks aren't plentiful so there should be quite a number of takers. And I think the more someone pays for her the better they will take care of her.

Don't forget to advertise.

$10K for the boat would be great , I doubt if you would see $3k after a year of selling scrap.

$10K for the boat would be great , I doubt if you would see $3k after a year of selling scrap.

And then you'd still have the carcass to dispose of. You'd be lucky to break even.

I'd advertise it widely as possible for best offer by xxxxx, no reserve, and see if you get a couple people bidding.

depemds....my friend had tried to sell a relatively nice, fully functioning Trojan 30 with a mint engine/drive train...After 2 years at 5K he went to 3K...after 2 more years gave it to another dock couple...they turned it down after doing the storage math...wound up giving it to his daughter and now is the constant mechanic/advisor.

Do the math and subtract out a years worth of storage and minor maintenance from the lowest selling price you can stand and see where you are...sometimes both are so low it doesn't matter what you do but a storage box for parts (which can be hard to get rid of too) is cheaper than marina fees.

Year ago - After lack of a sale... Fellow in an estate virtually tried to give me his dad's wooden 42' GB. Diesel engines looked good had low hrs and started right up. I spent couple hours looking it over carefully. Had to turn the offer down...

Same thing a couple months before... but... with a 44' one-off that was mostly FRP. Engine room looked OK, low hour diesel engines started. Again, I personally surveyed and had to turn down.

Extensively debilitating wood rot was the primary culprit on each that made me walk away. The 44'er also had too much corrosion on underwater gear as well as rust on very hard to get at black iron fuel tanks.

When researching any older boat (no matter its material composition) for potential purchase/ownership there are sooooo many items to take into account. And, it is always best to either REALLY know what to look for as well as how to find it - or - have a surveyor with you that does. Caus - no boat owner wants to end up with a pig in a poke!

That said as precaution to any boat seeker - OP to this thread seems to have a good ol' woody that could be a real find for someone! Hope it sells!!!

As someone with a pair of 1982 Perkins 6.354's and velvet drives, I'd much rather see you part it out. Especially those cruising spares :D

Seriously though, do what you need to do, but if you end up going that route, keep me in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, I am only selling or scrapping her because we are in the process of purchasing a new to us boat and need the dock space that Siren is occupying. I will kill me to cut her up so someone is going to get a great deal.

Nice looking boat! Make a good little for sale video and I'll post it to our web site and our Facebook page.

Will do, thank you! I will be back in town Friday to make the video.

Do ebay auction...many boats are bid up higher than expected by knuckleheads...or do a limited raffle....so many tickets for so much...totaling as much as you want but the winner get's it for a tiny bit....

Will do, thank you! I will be back in town Friday to make the video.

Cool. The easiest way for me to get it and post it is if you can upload it to YouTube. Otherwise you can email me the video when you're done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom