Old 02-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #21

City: Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
$40-50k

Down the west coast, through the Panama canal and turn left then... how long would that take??

"All I ask is a nice Trawler and a GPS to steer her by"
Haylands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #22
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
...Here's another one!
1983 Defever Tri Cabin Trawler New Motors Power Boat For Sale -

Old 02-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: Northport
The boat that you rented was a 45 Bayliner Pilothouse last produced in 1993. It was replaced by the newer styled 47 Pilothouse which offered more room in the salon , galley and the Pilothouse itself. They get great economy at 6-7 knots and not so bad at 8-9 knots yet they can still run at 16 knots when needed or wanted. The newer 47 will add about 2 knots to the higher cruise speed and can reach 22 knots at WOT. You say you will never use the faster speeds but at times the weather and/or tides and schedules may change you mind.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Tried to view that one but it's still in Panama... the broker said they were going to add $50,000 to the price when it got to Florida... Like that's going to sell...!!!! at the original price, in Florida it wouldn't be bad but if you zoom in on the pics it is a bit tatty and pretty dirty in places, it's been a live aboard for some time.... if that's selling pictures then how bad was it before they cleaned it up???

Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylands View Post

Down the west coast, through the Panama canal and turn left then... how long would that take??
4 months, traveling day time only and no days stopped because of sea conditions. We took 7+ months with plenty of stops but cruise of 20 knots and some overnight runs, plus some breaks for trips home. About 5-6 months without the breaks. But that was with runs as long as 750 nm in 2 days.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
The boat that you rented was a 45 Bayliner Pilothouse last produced in 1993. It was replaced by the newer styled 47 Pilothouse which offered more room in the salon , galley and the Pilothouse itself. They get great economy at 6-7 knots and not so bad at 8-9 knots yet they can still run at 16 knots when needed or wanted. The newer 47 will add about 2 knots to the higher cruise speed and can reach 22 knots at WOT. You say you will never use the faster speeds but at times the weather and/or tides and schedules may change you mind.
Oh right, thanks for that... had a central corridor that was narrower than my shoulders, and very small heads, showering was "an art".... The fitted couch was just slightly more comfortable than sitting on a bed of nails.... The boat did "feel" nice though and we did enjoy the experience...

I take your point about the need for more speed sometimes but we won't have a schedule so if the weather or tides aren't right I'll sit and sip Rum until they are

Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
4 months, traveling day time only and no days stopped because of sea conditions. We took 7+ months with plenty of stops but cruise of 20 knots and some overnight runs, plus some breaks for trips home. About 5-6 months without the breaks. But that was with runs as long as 750 nm in 2 days.
Wow... sounds like fun, how many nm was the whole trip...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
Looks like a Nordlund
I think smitty477 got it, it's a Bayliner, I'd just found a picture of one after some googling

Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #28
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
The problem with the 48 Defever is that stupid 4-foot high space over the trunk cabin. I haven't figured out what its purpose is...I doubt it is even high enough to sit on.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
The problem with the 48 Defever is that stupid 4-foot high space over the trunk cabin. I haven't figured out what its purpose is...I doubt it is even high enough to sit on.

Gordon
I wondered that from the pictures but presumed it was usable space... does look a bit funny though....!!!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Wow... sounds like fun, how many nm was the whole trip...??
:
Can be done in under 6,000 nm. In fact, shortest distance shows about 5,300 nm. We logged a total of right at 8,000 nm. 470 engine hours. Average speed 17 knots. We visited 36 ports/docked at 36 marinas.

7 in Mexico
1 in Guatemala
1 in El Salvador
1 in Nicaragua
4 in Costa Rica
3 in Panama
1 in Cayman Islands
1 in Jamaica
1 in Belize
2 more in Mexico

2 in Washington
3 in Oregon
8 in California
1 in Florida
Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
What a trip B
Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #32

Sounds like a great adventure, and not as far as I thought...

Old 02-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguewave View Post
What a trip B
Everywhere we went, we left hoping to return one day. We try to do that. Stay long enough to enjoy but not to the point of feeling we experienced it all. We've always lived on the East Coast and all our cruising until 2014 was East. All our travels had been East, even before cruising. Until 2014 we'd never been to any of the western states (except I spent a month in Oregon one week on business plus passing through airports) so from Alaska to Cancun, Jamaica, Cayman Islands and everything in between it was our first time by land or water.

It's why I always suggest if you have the time to transport a boat by water, wherever it is. We did break our cruising home with flights home and back occasionally as we always do.

We had no idea what our cruising pattern would be when we started. How would we until we actually did it? However, we've tried to make it where we never get tired of cruising or being home but always anxious to arrive either to the boat or home. We've found that 6 weeks (2 months occasionally) is the perfect time out for us. Then three weeks home and we're ready to go again. Now while home we do boat. In three weeks we'll boat 5 to 9 days.

Others will find differently. What is odd is that with our previous NC home, we could have hit the water and cruised year round with no regrets, except occasional trips to family and to the orphanage we love. Somehow in Florida though we ended up with a huge community of new family and it's more a home to us and we can't be gone all the time, our land home is more important to us now. I attribute it to the fact than in NC we were both working and we didn't have the time to build the same relationships, plus we had to remain even more protected and private than we do now. The people we worked with were important to us, but we only knew them on a work basis.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #34

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
I wondered that from the pictures but presumed it was usable space... does look a bit funny though....!!!
I believe what you are referring to is the aft cabin.

Marty..................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #35

Originally Posted by Haylands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
I believe what you are referring to is the aft cabin.

Marty..................
No it's the space above the aft cabin, there is a floor area but only a few feet of head room.....

Old 02-10-2016, 02:57 AM   #36
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Pete-if you can't make the trip Mr & Mrsb B did, you can ship the boat as deck cargo. Cost will probably be closer to $60K. If you ever need it, google Peters & May, they specialize in yacht shipping world wide. The caveat is you cannot go from a US port to a US port, so from the PNW the boat has to load in Vancouver if offloading in Miami.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post

Gordon
Gordon, what brand and type of boat do you have? I promise I will be gentle in my silly open season potshots. Ditto your purchase when you make one Haylands.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #38
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
The caveat is you cannot go from a US port to a US port, so from the PNW the boat has to load in Vancouver if offloading in Miami.
Victoria is a common yacht loading BC port.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Pete-if you can't make the trip Mr & Mrsb B did, you can ship the boat as deck cargo. Cost will probably be closer to $60K. If you ever need it, google Peters & May, they specialize in yacht shipping world wide. The caveat is you cannot go from a US port to a US port, so from the PNW the boat has to load in Vancouver if offloading in Miami.
Thanks for that, does add a big heap of money to the price though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Gordon, what brand and type of boat do you have? I promise I will be gentle in my silly open season potshots. Ditto your purchase when you make one Haylands.
We really like the Defevers, the one thing we did learn was that it's impossible to guess what a boat will be like by photos... It does look like that space is awkward to use... what is it like then?? we do appreciate boats are always a compromise, does the additional interior space offset the inconvenience of reduced headroom in that area...???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Victoria is a common yacht loading BC port.
Thanks, think we will concentrate on boats east of Panama...