Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Mark, how long is the Coot and how tall is your mast? Is it a deck stepped mast? Is there a compression post to the keel? What type of ballast?
The Coot's hull is 35'8" long.

Don't know how tall the mast is. Compare height of pilothouse door to mast.

The mast rests on the pilothouse roof. It is near the back bulkhead of the pilothouse. Except for the PH roof, the superstructure is steel.

There is no ballast. The hull is for a slow-speed motor boat. Boat weight is 14 tons. There is a small keel to protect propeller and rudder (less than 4-foot draft). It's not a motorsailer. It's a sail-assisted motor vessel.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Now for my 2 cents worth.
I have just completed installing a ketch rig on my hard chine timber displacement cruiser at the same time I upgraded my flopper stoppers to full functioning paravanes.
NOTE.. I am still in the process of refining the systems and will be back on the boat for a few weeks as of next Monday.
So far, the rig works a treat and is very simple is as much as all sails are on furlers and halyards are controlled from the fwd brow of the wheelhouse.
The parvanes are great but I still have a few modifications to make. This trip I am fitting some heavy springs and trying out another pair of fish that I have.
I think I will eventually stow the fish on either side of the swim platform when not in use for long periods and at other times will stow them in small brackets on the arms.
I run dynex stays and the fish run on chains at present but I also have a pair of 10 mm dynex lines to run the fish off.

One of the attached photos is of a similar boat to my own ( the one on the hard outside the shed) she has a ketch rig, TRACT stabilisers and flopper stoppers, all bases covered.

As I progress I will add some more information
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0099.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	27451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	27452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1659.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	27453   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000070.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	27456   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000094.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	27457  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000098.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	27458   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000099.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	27459   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000100.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	27460   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000101.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	27461  

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
a manual "The boaters bible for Power and Sail", with many, many useful tricks, and very in particular drawings to build paravanes,.
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
sorry, the mail is shipsdoctor@pocketmail.com
alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
What is that strange structure on the mast that cuts through the funnel?

Gorgeous boat but the canvas just wrecks it.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #26
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
That structure is the mizzen mast lower spreader, this keeps the stays vertical down the vessels side and I didn't want to get rid of the funnel so we adapted it.
The sails are good in winds 12 knots and above and save a lot of fuel on long passages up the Queensland coast and beyond.

A lot of traditional vessels have been built this way as motor sailors here in Queensland

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Mark, how long is the Coot and how tall is your mast? Is it a deck stepped mast? Is there a compression post to the keel? What type of ballast?

I'm thinking of adding a mast my boat:

I just need to find some more detailed drawings. Apparently they made 4 or 5 of these.
Do you have the exact same boat that just doesn't have the mast?

If so..maybe the reinforcement might already be there...just no mast/rigging.

If you get to a large enough sail area...the I'm sure a compression post or similar construction would be necessary...just a question of how much and where you want to put it.

If I ever wanted to set something like that up...no matter what it took, I would want a tabernacle to lower it easily. It's so nice to keep going and not worry about timing bridges. I can lower my mast to make a half dozen of so bridges on the ICW and the flexibility in moving schedule is greatly appreciated. My boat doesn't have a tabernacle but I can still get my mast down in about 10 minutes with the aid of my power winch I added last year.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
We have a similar setup that Larry has on Hobo. The Poles and paravanes work very well and I don't find them difficult to deploy, and while we don't use them that often, we are glad to have them and expect to use them more frequently on our trips this summer. Active stabilizers would be a much more costly install with more costly maintenance. Plus the active units are always in the water contributing drag even in calm seas. Here is a a photo of the p and p's in use... Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1121739249.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	27473 Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
FF
Guru

A steading sail does not a motor sailor make.

I posted here the formula the insurance co used to decide if it was a true motor sailor.

Cant find it now.

There requirement was for just enough sail area to beet off the proverbial lee shore.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:42 PM   #30

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
Sea Eagle has both ABT active stabilizers and Paravanes. We use the active stabilizers far more often than the paravanes (push of a button vs finding someplace calm to deploy/recover the fish).

Because the boat doesn't have a mast (fiberglass stack instead), the stack had to be reinforced and the fish are smaller than is usual to keep the strain on the stack down. Still, even with the small fish, it is no fun recovering them in lumpy weather or dealing with dangling crab pots.

Boydski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Do you have the exact same boat that just doesn't have the mast?

If so..maybe the reinforcement might already be there...just no mast/rigging.

If you get to a large enough sail area...the I'm sure a compression post or similar construction would be necessary...just a question of how much and where you want to put it.

If I ever wanted to set something like that up...no matter what it took, I would want a tabernacle to lower it easily. It's so nice to keep going and not worry about timing bridges. I can lower my mast to make a half dozen of so bridges on the ICW and the flexibility in moving schedule is greatly appreciated. My boat doesn't have a tabernacle but I can still get my mast down in about 10 minutes with the aid of my power winch I added last year.
Yes, the 35 & 36 hull are the same. I don't have the "iron shoe" bolted to the keel.It looks like the mast is stepped from the salon roof, and there are side stays to port & starboard. I agree I would want a tabernacle. I'm not sure I will do this, but it does look like it would be fun. Since there weren't too many made, I doubt I will find any more information. I may have to ask Ed Monk if he still has any drawings and would be willing to part with them, if he's still active. The Roughwater Yahoo group is very quiet.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Yes, the 35 & 36 hull are the same. I don't have the "iron shoe" bolted to the keel.It looks like the mast is stepped from the salon roof, and there are side stays to port & starboard. I agree I would want a tabernacle. I'm not sure I will do this, but it does look like it would be fun. Since there weren't too many made, I doubt I will find any more information. I may have to ask Ed Monk if he still has any drawings and would be willing to part with them, if he's still active. The Roughwater Yahoo group is very quiet.
yeah...I love sailing but with the price of fuel still reasonable...no mast in my future...though I do keep toying with a bigger mast and boom for work and a steadying sail.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #33
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

The Coot has a tabernacle. However, the mast is so overbuilt that four middle-aged men couldn't lift it. We used a crane to put the mast in vertical position.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #34
Master and Commander

Another yellow roof!

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The Coot has a tabernacle. However, the mast is so overbuilt that four middle-aged men couldn't lift it. We used a crane to put the mast in vertical position.
I guess I should have been more specific and stated "tall tabernacle"...I got used to calling anything that didn't allow significant mechanical advantage a "hinged mast step". Which is what I have and have to use the boom and winch to get my advantage and do it myself instead of something a little simpler.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #36
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
With your boatís hard chimes and displacement you might not need and/or want them. You might find that your boat already has good stability and a comfortable ride. I been thinking about putting them on the Eagle, have already installed a new stronger mast, bought the fish and poles, and I might have the shop make the side/hull chains plates. However, I have decided to added passive twin keels first as the Eagle already has good stability and a nice easy comfortable ride.

I will not install the paravanes until we start doing some coastal cruising or they are needed. Anyway I would wait until you know if they are needed or not. A local fabrication shop can make the fish/poles/and rigging, and then a sail boat rigger could help with the final install. We have several commercial fish boats in the area that have them, but most do not use them when under way.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #37
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Another yellow roof!
I noticed the yellow roof as well!

I googled tabernacle and a certain yellow roofed duck showed up in the results.

I do like the yellow roofs!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #38
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We have a steady sail that I find has no effect and not worth the time. Maybe not big enough? I have used it when at anchor to lessen the swing. However the Eagle does not swing that much as the pilot house is about the middle of the boat and the full deep keel. It seems the further back the super structure the less the boat will swing, like a explore/expedition with the house at the stern. I have read some article, but donít know if that is true, but it seems logical the house would act like a vane?

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote