Old 09-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Paravane install

This is about how I would like my boat to look after a paravane install.
I like the small mast for a "get home" sail also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442291657.477999.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	44558

This is a drawing of my boat with a 40' mast installed. The lines are close to the Kasten boat but not nearly as nice looking. Michael Kasten has some neat looking designs IMO.

Roberta Jean 43 - Classic Trawler Yacht
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Guru

Paravane install

Forgot the drawing of my boat with a mast. Mast is too big in this drawing. Maybe a 25' mast would look better.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442292311.684873.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	44561
Old 09-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hope you don't mind if I watch over your shoulder, as I have dreams of paravanes myself in a couple years.

Is this going to be DIY, or are you going to have someone do it for/with you? Asking because the forces involved are daunting...
Old 09-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
Guru

No, definitely not a DIY. I don't have the skills. I need to get some plans drawn up by a NA.

I have a engineer buddy at the Cat plant here in town who is an excellent fabricator and loves to weld aluminum, and he's excited about the project.

I'm toying with the idea of doing something like Richard did on Dauntless-- a very minimalistic design that seems to be working for him. I've talked with the rigger who did his in Miami, but not sure I can work out the logistics because of the distance.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
No, definitely not a DIY. I don't have the skills. I need to get some plans drawn up by a NA.

I have a engineer buddy at the Cat plant here in town who is an excellent fabricator and loves to weld aluminum, and he's excited about the project.

You're on the right track. Starting with a NA is your best and safest first step. As Murray mentioned the forces/loading are huge. The NA will determine the placement of the mast, hull reinforcements and rigging requirements. Maybe contact Tad Roberts? He has designed paravanes systems I believe? Distance may be an issue (he's in BC) but if for nothing else he can help with the practicality of the project.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Miami
Ditto. Be interesting to see if you don't just wind up with the sailing version in the end.

Via iPhone.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
Ditto. Be interesting to see if you don't just wind up with the sailing version in the end.

Via iPhone.

I actually like the idea of a sail rig but don't think it will give me the same amount of roll control, plus it's more expensive, plus I would like to keep the boat under cover these next few years while I'm here in Texas.

But eventually, a sail rig could happen.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #8
Guru

Paravane install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
You're on the right track. Starting with a NA is your best and safest first step. As Murray mentioned the forces/loading are huge. The NA will determine the placement of the mast, hull reinforcements and rigging requirements. Maybe contact Tad Roberts? He has designed paravanes systems I believe? Distance may be an issue (he's in BC) but if for nothing else he can help with the practicality of the project.

I have reached out to Tad and we have discussed some things, but he doesn't have access to a boat like mine so we haven't gotten very far.

I've also reached out to the guy who designed the rig on Dauntless for Richard. Kind of a minimalist rig but it seems to be working. He is in the Miami area and is trying to get access to an SP or PY cruiser to take a look at things

My biggest problem so far has been where to mount the mast. My PH roof is not strong enough and a compression post wouldn't work there due to interior restrictions. One idea (mine not Tad's) was to mount the mast in front of the PH windows but split the mount into two and make the mast a triangle. There are a couple of flat spots at the edge of the PH windows that would make a good mount (and good access inside) but I don't know that area is strong enough to take the compression without a compression post underneath. They are in a corner so that helps I guess. I assume the triangle would need to be stayed at various places.

Very rough idea:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1442324079.197741.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	44563
Old 09-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Gyro Gale Stabilizers | Marine Stabilizers for Yachts
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
or these at $29,900. Products - Seakeeper Inc.

Superior Marine in Kemah, TX do Seakeeper factory support.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #11

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:

My biggest problem so far has been where to mount the mast. My PH roof is not strong enough and a compression post wouldn't work there due to interior restrictions. ............
Would it be possible to install an arch shaped compression post or two post with a header? This could possible solve your interior problems and it would still take the load plus it would split the load to two post instead of just one which may or may not be beneficial.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
Guru

Paravane install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Would it be possible to install an arch shaped compression post or two post with a header? This could possible solve your interior problems and it would still take the load plus it would split the load to two post instead of just one which may or may not be beneficial.

That's what I was thinking about with my "triangle mast" idea in that rough sketch. Or maybe I don't understand what you are saying.

Edit:

Wait, are you talking about an arched post (or two) inside? That's interesting. Could a compression post be mounted to the interior floor or does it have to go to something more substantial?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
or these at $29,900. Products - Seakeeper Inc.

Superior Marine in Kemah, TX do Seakeeper factory support.
Plus something like the SeaKeeper system will add value to the boat to more people than the para vanes will. IMO more people would rather throw a switch to get stabilization than go to the work of deploying para vanes. Plus the Seakeeper will work in shallow water and doesn't cause you to waste time waiting for bridge openings. Especially when installed on a low profile boat like the one in question here.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Here's some pics of my setup. The part of the mast that goes thru the galley roof are the white poles in the interior shot; port side is behind the cushion by the table, starboard is by the refrigerator shown to the left of the fire extinguisher. If you need more pics let me know.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Boat 2008 025.jpg   Boat 2008 018.jpg   Boat 2008 032.jpg   Boat 2008 035.jpg   Coastline 7.jpg  

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #15
Guru

What does a setup like that cost? Assuming you don't build and install it yourself.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #16
Guru

Forgot to add, the poles go thru the galley roof, thru the deck, then are welded to the stringers in the hull.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #17
Guru

Mine came w/ the boat.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #18

Quote:

Wait, are you talking about an arched post (or two) inside? That's interesting. Could a compression post be mounted to the interior floor or does it have to go to something more substantial?
Yes, that's the direction I was heading. Since I'm not familiar with your boat I'm just throwing out some ideas that may work for your particular vessel. And yes, the compression posts could be mounted to the floor but only if the floor was solid/strong enough etc. Again, not having even been aboard a boat like yours I can't say for sure it this idea has any merit for your vessel.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Plus something like the SeaKeeper system will add value to the boat to more people than the para vanes will. IMO more people would rather throw a switch to get stabilization than go to the work of deploying para vanes. Plus the Seakeeper will work in shallow water and doesn't cause you to waste time waiting for bridge openings. Especially when installed on a low profile boat like the one in question here.

I don't think there is room for a gyro on my boat. It's a sailboat hull basically without any extra room in the engine compartment or lazzerette. Plus I don't want to spend that much.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
And don't forget to add that you will need to run your generator continuously to power the SeaKeeper not to mention it takes a very long time for the gyro to wind up (per reports that I've read). Personally, I would not want to have my generator running all the time. I lean more to the "green" side of things and that's why I think paravanes are the way to go for stabilization.