Old 02-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
I just read the entire thread and found several posters improperly separated variations of "proofreading" into two words. Now, maybe you English majors out there can help me decide if that is ironic or just funny.
Wifey B: Ironic. Now what may make it funny is if they are typing or speaking into a smartphone or pad and it's being corrected into two words. I've come across many instances where smartphones didn't have certain words that were combinations of others in their spell check. I like it when my phone turns something I innocently say into something obscene. Definitely have to read before sending.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #82
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: Post #77. I can't cownt neither.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #83

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Re: Post #77. I can't cownt neither.

Yes, you can count RT!

I count 21 grades given out by our lovely teacher Wifey B and only 20 post on the first page of this silly thread. With that being said, do we count up from the bottom or down from the top and it it's down from the top which of the 21 grades do we need to eliminate? What say you Wifey B?

Either way, I received a C or an F, both of which I can handle especially since I'm far from an English major and even when I do proofread my comments prior to hitting the submit button I almost always miss something.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #84
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
How to write good:

Avoid cliche's like the plague.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #85
Guru

City: Sydney
wel wot av i lent from tis post is som ppl av 2 much time on der hans and post just 2 cee dere onn riting
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Yes, you can count RT!

I count 21 grades given out by our lovely teacher Wifey B and only 20 post on the first page of this silly thread. With that being said, do we count up from the bottom or down from the top and it it's down from the top which of the 21 grades do we need to eliminate? What say you Wifey B?

Either way, I received a C or an F, both of which I can handle especially since I'm far from an English major and even when I do proofread my comments prior to hitting the submit button I almost always miss something.
Wifey B: H... if I know....hehe. I just knew RTF's. I had places to go and things to do and lunch at Foxy's and dinner at Sidney's Peace and Love.

This is a boating forum. I'm only a teacher in the classroom. Well, not only a teacher there, but only an English Teacher there.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #87
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I can't read one long run-on paragraph. I'd like to, but I just can't make sense of it.

I usually can't either. The lines all start to run together, I can't keep track of which line I just read, goes downhill from there.

Example (really, no kidding, not at all meant to criticize the originator) is the first post in "interior spaces..."

Something about boats in Seattle. My eyes blur.

Might be easier reading a printed page compared to a computer monitor, but I also remember 18th and 19th century British novels (for example)... wherein the first para is about 3 pages long... so I guess not so easy there, either.

-Chris
Old 02-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #88

City: Sausalito CA
Vessel Name: GRACE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 EU
I believe the problem started when we changed "Grammar School" to "Elementary School."
Old 02-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #89

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
7h15 m3554g3
53rv35 7o pr0v3
how our m1nd5 c4n
d0 4m4z1ng 7h1ng5!
1mpr3551v3 7h1ng5!
1n 7h3 b3g1nn1ng
17 wa5 h4rd bu7
n0w, 0n 7h15 lin3
y0ur m1nd 1s
r34d1ng 17
4u70m471c4lly
w17h 0u7 3v3n
7h1nk1ng 4b0u7 17,
b3 proud! Only
c3r741n p30pl3 c4n
r3ad 7h15.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #90
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Yay, I can be proud!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #91
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Correct: Anyway / Incorrect: Anyways

Jus sayen!!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:02 AM   #92
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
The day you stop learning is the day to bid farewell to the world. Ok, don't take me literally on that, just take the point! So I'm all for gentle corrections. It really helps in the context of continuous learning. Sure, where English is a second language for someone then more tolerance should be given, but help with learning might be appreciated if it is provided appropriately.

Good spelling, grammar and punctuation all make comprehension easier. Less interpretation is then required, a good thing as different interpretations can lead to misunderstanding, or worse. English basics are all about effective communication, its not a case of being a grammar nazi or nit-picker.

If you had not already guessed I'm not an English major. English was by far my worst subject: it was boring to me at the time and as one English teacher pointed out I'm basically lazy to boot. He did it in class, and with some frustration although I don't remember what I might have done to cause that. I am still amused by it though. Science was fun and quite easy, I so I worked for good grades in those subjects.

Nonetheless, I am willing to read many of the longer posts that some make if the poster writes well, including getting English basics right. These days try to do likewise. Teenagers being lazy is one thing, adults not making an effort is different. I'm less inclined to assist a lazy or inconsiderate adult in anything.

One of the attractions of this forum is that mostly the posters and posts are polite, generally articulate and often funny. And there is a broad skill and knowledge base that is truly a treasure. But the disagreements are often hilarious and it's all I can do to not add to the mess. Usually, but not always. Something nagging me about casting stones, even if not the first one. Its been obvious for some time that its winter in the Northern Hemisphere: the cabin-fever outbreaks are a dead giveaway. Easy to click on another thread if it gets a bit much.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #93

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
7h15 m3554g3
53rv35 7o pr0v3
how our m1nd5 c4n
d0 4m4z1ng 7h1ng5!
1mpr3551v3 7h1ng5!
1n 7h3 b3g1nn1ng
17 wa5 h4rd bu7
n0w, 0n 7h15 lin3
y0ur m1nd 1s
r34d1ng 17
4u70m471c4lly
w17h 0u7 3v3n
7h1nk1ng 4b0u7 17,
b3 proud! Only
c3r741n p30pl3 c4n
r3ad 7h15.
There is a typo (in red)

Marty..................
MartySchwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #94
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
"Pleasure" Boaters, just cause they are Pleasure Boaters...

No matter their own shape, size, gender, age, race, religious connection, political affiliation, deed-doings or education background - nor - mostly same ol' junk for their boat[s]... get ta being granted all the poetic text-justice as well as grammatical word-leeway and of course punctuation room with spelling as an aside.

YRMV! And, with all due respect - I care not if they do!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #95
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
As another english major (two degrees in it, no less....I'm a sales rep BTW) I'll chime in here. I frequent two internet forums, this one and a college football forum. The grammer/spelling on this forum is far, far better than the football forum. Overall, we are a pretty strong group of casual writers here on the TF.

Everyone makes mistakes, I make lots of them, and I never correct or criticize. But man, people's ignorance really shines through sometimes. My favorite recent mistakes on the football forum are pre madonna and obvious lee.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
pre madonna and obvious lee.
Wifey B: How were things pre-Madonna? And pre-MTV? I was two when MTV started so can't remember much. Hubby says Madonna shook up the world though. She was made for MTV and they were made for her. The things everyone got so excited about then would be tame today. But then the Beatles did the same on Ed Sullivan and Elvis before them. I've looked at some of the old Ed Sullivan stuff and wish we had a show like that today.

Just hard for me to appreciate what all the controversy over Madonna was. It was another time.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #97
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
pre madonna and obvious lee.
I love it! Is there a word for this type of mistake? The closest I can come up with is malapropism, but even that doesn't really capture what's going on here.

I don't expect everyone to be an expert on etymology. But it really shows a deep level of cluelessness when you turn a phrase or word meaning one thing, into something with a completely different meaning.

This is why there's so much humor surrounding spell-checker mistakes. Like the time I almost sent a (female) friend "wish you were her" instead of "wish you were here". With my wife looking on. I still haven't lived that one down!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #98
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
......you crank your jib sheets with winches, wenches are the buxom German-looking babes on St. Pauli Girl beer posters......
Dude, you ought to spend more time on sailboats where we actually use wenches to crank the jib sheets. The view makes one less edgy and good grammar becomes less important. .

Jus' sayin'
Old 02-11-2016, 12:47 PM   #99
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
......I'm only a teacher in the classroom. Well, not only a teacher there, but only an English Teacher there.
So, when the classroom is in attendance, you are their teacher?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
So, when the classroom is in attendance, you are their teacher?
Wifey B: My area of specialization was reading. Reading skills are so critical for learning the rest of their lives. That's an area I was and am very passionate about. I started with elementary levels but ultimately was involved with all ages. I even did some adult programs. One area I had fun was getting families to read. Sometimes I just took that as a huge challenge. I didn't care what they read. I've been known to start a post-dinner reading time with a family and giving the father, who was so opposed to the concept, a Playboy to read. I'm proud to say that the last I knew, three years later, they were still reading together every evening. Their son caught up to his grade level quickly too.

I'm sure it's hard to imagine for most here, but there are a lot of kids who live in homes where there are no books and no one ever reads anything. I met fathers who couldn't read well at all. I remember one specifically and as he and I talked privately he had tears in his eyes. He told his kids the truth although I think they really knew. I convinced him somehow that he could do nothing better for his son than them learning to read together. They did.

Ok, back to boats and paragraphs and snakes and snails and little cats with puppy dog tails.