Paragraphs please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Correct: Anyway / Incorrect: Anyways

Jus sayen!!!

The day you stop learning is the day to bid farewell to the world. Ok, don't take me literally on that, just take the point! So I'm all for gentle corrections. It really helps in the context of continuous learning. Sure, where English is a second language for someone then more tolerance should be given, but help with learning might be appreciated if it is provided appropriately.

Good spelling, grammar and punctuation all make comprehension easier. Less interpretation is then required, a good thing as different interpretations can lead to misunderstanding, or worse. English basics are all about effective communication, its not a case of being a grammar nazi or nit-picker.

If you had not already guessed I'm not an English major. English was by far my worst subject: it was boring to me at the time and as one English teacher pointed out I'm basically lazy to boot. He did it in class, and with some frustration although I don't remember what I might have done to cause that. I am still amused by it though. Science was fun and quite easy, I so I worked for good grades in those subjects.

Nonetheless, I am willing to read many of the longer posts that some make if the poster writes well, including getting English basics right. These days try to do likewise. Teenagers being lazy is one thing, adults not making an effort is different. I'm less inclined to assist a lazy or inconsiderate adult in anything.

One of the attractions of this forum is that mostly the posters and posts are polite, generally articulate and often funny. And there is a broad skill and knowledge base that is truly a treasure. But the disagreements are often hilarious and it's all I can do to not add to the mess. Usually, but not always. Something nagging me about casting stones, even if not the first one. Its been obvious for some time that its winter in the Northern Hemisphere: the cabin-fever outbreaks are a dead giveaway. Easy to click on another thread if it gets a bit much.

7h15 m3554g3
53rv35 7o pr0v3
how our m1nd5 c4n
d0 4m4z1ng 7h1ng5!
1mpr3551v3 7h1ng5!
1n 7h3 b3g1nn1ng
17 wa5 h4rd bu7
n0w, 0n 7h15 lin3
y0ur m1nd 1s
r34d1ng 17
4u70m471c4lly
w17h 0u7 3v3n
7h1nk1ng 4b0u7 17,
b3 proud! Only
c3r741n p30pl3 c4n
r3ad 7h15.

There is a typo (in red)

Marty..................:D

"Pleasure" Boaters, just cause they are Pleasure Boaters... :thumb:

No matter their own shape, size, gender, age, race, religious connection, political affiliation, deed-doings or education background - nor - mostly same ol' junk for their boat... get ta being granted all the poetic text-justice as well as grammatical word-leeway and of course punctuation room with spelling as an aside. :D

YRMV! And, with all due respect - I care not if they do!! :dance: :speed boat:

As another english major (two degrees in it, no less....I'm a sales rep BTW) I'll chime in here. I frequent two internet forums, this one and a college football forum. The grammer/spelling on this forum is far, far better than the football forum. Overall, we are a pretty strong group of casual writers here on the TF.

Everyone makes mistakes, I make lots of them, and I never correct or criticize. But man, people's ignorance really shines through sometimes. My favorite recent mistakes on the football forum are pre madonna and obvious lee.

pre madonna and obvious lee.

Wifey B: How were things pre-Madonna? And pre-MTV? I was two when MTV started so can't remember much. Hubby says Madonna shook up the world though. She was made for MTV and they were made for her. The things everyone got so excited about then would be tame today. But then the Beatles did the same on Ed Sullivan and Elvis before them. I've looked at some of the old Ed Sullivan stuff and wish we had a show like that today.

Just hard for me to appreciate what all the controversy over Madonna was. It was another time.

pre madonna and obvious lee.

I love it! Is there a word for this type of mistake? The closest I can come up with is malapropism, but even that doesn't really capture what's going on here.

I don't expect everyone to be an expert on etymology. But it really shows a deep level of cluelessness when you turn a phrase or word meaning one thing, into something with a completely different meaning.

This is why there's so much humor surrounding spell-checker mistakes. Like the time I almost sent a (female) friend "wish you were her" instead of "wish you were here". With my wife looking on. I still haven't lived that one down!

......you crank your jib sheets with winches, wenches are the buxom German-looking babes on St. Pauli Girl beer posters......

Dude, you ought to spend more time on sailboats where we actually use wenches to crank the jib sheets. The view makes one less edgy and good grammar becomes less important. .

Jus' sayin'

So, when the classroom is in attendance, you are their teacher?

Wifey B: My area of specialization was reading. Reading skills are so critical for learning the rest of their lives. That's an area I was and am very passionate about. I started with elementary levels but ultimately was involved with all ages. I even did some adult programs. One area I had fun was getting families to read. Sometimes I just took that as a huge challenge. I didn't care what they read. I've been known to start a post-dinner reading time with a family and giving the father, who was so opposed to the concept, a Playboy to read. I'm proud to say that the last I knew, three years later, they were still reading together every evening. Their son caught up to his grade level quickly too.

I'm sure it's hard to imagine for most here, but there are a lot of kids who live in homes where there are no books and no one ever reads anything. I met fathers who couldn't read well at all. I remember one specifically and as he and I talked privately he had tears in his eyes. He told his kids the truth although I think they really knew. I convinced him somehow that he could do nothing better for his son than them learning to read together. They did.

Ok, back to boats and paragraphs and snakes and snails and little cats with puppy dog tails. :D

Wifey B:

Ok, back to boats and paragraphs and snakes and snails and little cats with puppy dog tails. :D

OK - That proves it... you certainly are a teacher. And, a nice one at that. Only a cool female teacher that's into kids would quote that saying! :D

OK - That proves it... you certainly are a teacher. And, a nice one at that. Only a cool female teacher that's into kids would quote that saying! :D

Wifey B: Thanks. I'm proud to be a teacher even if not formally teaching today. I do a bit of program design and teaching teachers. It's not all success stories, but the reward of working with children is just incredible. I have one teacher friend who moved here from NC not long after we did. We still get together and "talk teacher".

Wifey B: H... if I know....hehe. I just knew RTF's. I had places to go and things to do and lunch at Foxy's and dinner at Sidney's Peace and Love.

This is a boating forum. I'm only a teacher in the classroom. Well, not only a teacher there, but only an English Teacher there. :D

I am lucky enough to be married to a teacher. I am not going to call any names but FF dispises your profession. He was born reading and doing basic math, self made. No stinking teacher does he need to thank.

I am a telephone man, I worked hard my whole working life. BUT nothing like the multitude of teachers I have known. 12 hours after grading papers was the NORMAL day.

Thank you for what you have done.

My mother retired from teaching "special-classes" for challenged children at 80 yrs age - in Maine. Went back to college in her 40's at Hofstra in NY, got her masters... began teaching in her early 50's. She worked so hard; loved it too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom