Panama Canal Transit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ptlones

Vessel Name
Oasis
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
Either this boating season (2014) or next (2015) I intend to make the cruise from Florida to Seattle and would like to hear from anyone who has made the trip east to west through the Panama Canal and up the Pacific coast.
Thanks.

It's a great trip! How much time do you have? Is it a delivery or are you cruising? We did the reverse after leaving the PNW in 2008 and just arrived in Florida this year.

Pat Raines has 2 cruising guides that are good references plus s/v Sarina has internet guides for Central America.

Cruising Ports: the Central American Route 6.5: Capt. Pat Rains, GPS charts, color photos: 9780963847027: Amazon.com: Books

Cruising Guidebooks For Central America | Always Up-to-date

Bob and Elaine, a forum member, on m/v Mar Azul, just finished a loop via the Eastern Caribbean, ABC's, Colombia, Panama then back to the US. Their blog is good reading. Mar Azul Adventures | Bob & Elaine's journey through the Caribbean

Any specific questions? :)

Thanks for the info. I do have, and have read both of the Rains's books. I have the time but my wife is still employed so I am not exactly sure how I will approach the trip. I may do it over 2 seasons so we/I can spend a little time in Central America. My main goal however is to get Oasis up to the PNW and cruise to Alaska a few times before I get to old!

Timing is really important and I believe going north along the Pacific coast (San Diego to Seattle) can be the hardest part of the trip. What were your planned stops from PNW south and what time of year did you travel that section?
TKS,
Ted Lones
M/V Oasis

Ted; You're right, timing is important. You have hurricane seasons on both coasts, the winter trades in the Caribbean, the rainy season in Panama, plus you have to leave enough time to enjoy the trip. :) We've done the Seattle to San Diego trip twice. This last time we stopped everyday pretty much. The first time Vancouver Island to San Fran non stop. Check the archives for the West Coast legs. A several forum members have done it recently and going in your direction.

Thanks for the info.
Ted

Does anyone know what the toll is to transit the canal in a trawler? I know a cruise ship pays somewhere between $250,000-$275,000 one way. The least expensive toll ever paid was something like $0.36 by some guy who swam through.

Per their website:

Furthermore, the following adjustment was approved , effective October 1, 2012, for tolls applicable to small vessels:
image005.png

I understand there are additional costs (guide/pilot, etcetera)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom