Old 05-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Older OA 42 or Newer Bayliner 3988, Feedback wanted

I think we have narrowed this down to two different models that really work out well for the family. OA 42 or Bayliner 3988. If it's an OA it will be powered with the 3208 Cats and if it's a Bayliner it will be powered with the Cummins 330 HP. My must have list,
Flybridge
Salon station
Two staterooms
Sedan - easy access from salon to cockpit as I will be single handling it from time to time.
Thoughts about both? Have you owned either - better yet. Tell me about your experiences. So excited to be really focusing and hunting for our new boat to come. Leaving AK this week from a cruise I was on I can't wait to return from Portland. I plan on at least once making the inside back to Glacier. 90% of the time though poking around Portland. Once a year heading back to the San Juans. Looking forward to feedback.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
If all things are equal and we are just talking about an older OA vs a newer Bayliner, I would pick the older OA. It’s built out of better materials and to higher standard.

I’m not knocking Bayliner’s, good boats at a good price, they just don’t age as well as an OA.

Now if things are not equal I would go with the boat that Is in the best shape.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Guru

OA

I would agree. However these two boat models are a decade apart. I do like the interior finishes more on the OA and second stateroom.
On the BL I like the flybridge layout and salon layout more as well the Cummins is a definite plus. Have owned Cummins before and they have be bulletproof engines.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Bayliner makes a great boat when it comes to liveability, but can be a challenge when it comes to accessing the engines and other systems.

Something to consider...

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I really like working onboats but as I age I am notas able to do as much so I might pick the boat that is in the best condition assuming all other things are equal.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Thoughts about both?
I'm on my 2nd OA 42 and am still in love with it. My first OA 42 was over 20 years ago and was a 1990. My present OA is a 2006 and has been improved design wise. I know almost nothing about the Bayliner 3988 other than it has almost the same look as the OAS.

My vote goes to the OA 42.

First photo is the 200 Bayliner 3988

1990 OA 42 (It's on my dock and asking is $125K
Attached Thumbnails
bayliner.jpg   1990 OA 42.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 01:10 AM   #7
Guru

OA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I'm on my 2nd OA 42 and am still in love with it. My first OA 42 was over 20 years ago and was a 1990. My present OA is a 2006 and has been improved design wise. I know almost nothing about the Bayliner 3988 other than it has almost the same look as the OAS.

My vote goes to the OA 42.

First photo is the 200 Bayliner 3988

1990 OA 42 (It's on my dock and asking is $125K

The 90 I was told had some serious gel coat issues. Lots of stress cracks. Have you seen it in person and could weigh in?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 AM   #8
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
second the concern re: OA gelcoat stress cracks/crazing. Several we looked at were unbelievably bad.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Pick one task, a simple regular one like servicing batteries, changing the oil in the genset, whatever. Go into both boats and try doing the task you chose.

Bayliners are very well outfitted but suck at access. They were built with all the mechanical stuff installed and then the liner and the deck was glued (however) on. My buddy’s 39 Bayliner is a total prick to service, you need to be 20 or a midget. 20 year olds can’t afford one and even a midget can’t get near the genset. As an example, the poop tank vent hose needs replacing but the outlet is in a cupboard which is 6” deeper than my arm’s reach and about 8” wide. There is no access besides cutting a hole in the hull. There was a start problem with one engine and after dismantling the bedroom I spent hours on my knees wedged by the foot of the bed tracing wires and lying on the transmission. I needed a crane to get me out of there. Bayliners suck. But when they are working they are comfortable and nice inside. Good luck changing a poop discharge hose or a water pump. Lift the floorboards and there is all the fuel and electrical stuff, totally covering and hiding the tops of the engines...
Old 05-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
FF
Guru

If I am to be a boater in the next life I will ask God for a second elbow in one arm!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
Guru

Leads

If anyone has leads in the west coast please send them my way. Nothing on Yachtworld as I am checking on that every day. Something off market, Craigslist, or your a member here at trawlerrforum.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
Guru

Here's one of the boats I am looking at right now. It checks off a lot of the boxes, intact all of them with the exception of one. Close enough to the budget I'd fly to take a look at. However I am leary of the engines, I have heard good and bad on these and don't want something as important as engines to be a problem. I am comparing Detroits to Cummins as all the Bayliners have Cummins I am looking at.

http://https://www.yachtworld.com/bo...sedan-3541820/

I'd love some feedback. Anyone know this OA?

Are these Detroits deserving of their reputation? Good bad or one heck of a boat anchor?
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 06-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Our good friends in the next slip over have a 3988. The family is selling it for about $99K I think, very good maintenance (but of course it's smack in the middle of the country). Good boat in my opinion, I really like the looks of it, seems to handle much better than our Mainship in high winds. Yes, some systems access is not good but then our boat isn't good either for some systems. The deal killer for me would be the ladder on both the OA and the Bayliner. I can still climb a sailboat mast, it's not an agility issue, it's convenience. Bringing food and drinks up, carrying tools up, kids, older visitors who can't handle ladders easily. Heck, I need a child's sippy cup just to get up there with a cup of coffee. Our current boat may be a big white fiberglass tennis shoe, but we love the stairs and convenience and easy layout. No ladders.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #14

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
1. It's a love affair. Buy the boat that makes your heart sing.
2. OA probably depreciates slower than a Bayliner.
Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Guru

Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I would agree with several other folks here. I have a 1988 OA 420 Sundeck, and looked at many other brands before purchasing. Hands down, the OA had better quality in terms of build compared to similar boats both of the same age, and 10 years newer. That stuck out to me at purchase, and now 6 months in I can say definitively I made the right choice.

Of course, every boat is different, and especially anything 15+ years old, the key is going to be who owned it before you and the quality of maintenance that was performed. I saw plenty of OA's, Grand Banks, and many other quality brands that had not been well taken care of.

It will be a balance of many things, but to me I started with specific brands I knew built things very well, held their value, and lasted long. Then I looked at how the particular boat was maintained. That was a good starting point.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
Guru

Any knowledgeable opinions on the engines Twin 400hp 6V53 Turbo Detroit engines would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
It will be a balance of many things, but to me I started with specific brands I knew built things very well, held their value, and lasted long. Then I looked at how the particular boat was maintained. That was a good starting point.

I agree with that completely. Buy a quality boat, maintained well and you;ll never regret it. Had Sabre, Bristol, and now the Cape Dory. All quality boats with good resale when that time comes..
Old 06-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
First, that’s a very nice looking OA. Some one as spent the money maintaining that boat.

Second, I love and hate those engines. 400hp DD 6-53’s are a wonderfully small package, it is also way to much HP for a 318 cu inch engine. If the boat has been operated at hull speeds all its life then no problem. If it’s been run at WOT then those engines are done.

6-53’s are pretty cheap to rebuild. I find that boat to be a great combination for economy cruising while maintaining the ability to run fast if needed.

It is really hard to give one solid advice towards these engines. I have no reason to believe you will need to rebuild these engines but if it takes all your money to buy the boat and there is no room for catastrophic repair you might be making a mistake. On the other hand no Bayliner will ever compare to this OA.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I had 6V53 naturals in a previous boat. They ran great. Parts are cheap. Don’t know about the turbos. They tend to leak and blow oil mist. We made our own version of Airseps and it took care of the oil mist. They sound very throaty and great. I ran mine so we had about 9 knots and we used about 6 GPH in a 46’ cockpit motoryacht. Overall if you keep them clean they are fine. Almost any diesel mechanic can work on them.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #20
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Thats a lot of horsepower to try and get out of that block... I like the 6 53 Naturals.